Community Game - Rome on Monarch/Marathon

I would like to point out that we will not be able to keep this research speed for a long time, so we need gold production and razing/capturing Delphoi would give us some breath.

Another thing i was thinking about is that Egyptians are generally less military strong and they hold a lot of gold tiles, so conquering some cities in Egypt should be our first priority after the Greek war.

Also there, we need to carefully choose which cities to keep and which cities to raze, and when to do it.

What kind of victory are we going for here?

If we were going for a long-term one I’d suggest razing most of Egypt, leaving only the former capital and a coastal city. No matter which victory we’re going for we should raze Delphoi in Greece too :lol:

We are going for an UHV and then continue playing for other victories and further Empire development.

I think we should keep any city with a Wonder. Honestly, i don’t remember how many cities we need to have in Egypt, but that area provides a lot of gold and luxury resources, so we will deeply plan our administration there.

I think that Greece and Egypt will have the first 2 “local” administrations, so that we will elect a former Consul for that region, who will be responsible for the strategy and wars of that area.

I think that Consul votes should be more important over the strategic choices in that specific region, but i am still evaluating the pros and cons.

Having more cities with smaller or overlapping areas might help for now, as health and unhappiness from large populations are harder to deal with. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to ahem, depopulate it later on.

On a strategic point of view, i always prefer a lot of smaller cities with just 2/3 big cities, one per region.

I generally let Rome grow indefinetly and other cities in the core area to grow big, but then have a lot of Lv.3 cities in the Mediterranean, with only Carthago, Athens and Heliopolis growing bigger (Lv.5).

I am really curious of which is your general strategy tho. :)

[Turn 282]
File uploaded.
My opinions, strategy and general ideas for the current turn.

Turn 282.jpg

CURRENT TURN (Turn 282)
- how should we move our legions?
- commerce, analysis of the other civs...

I guess we should just move our army towards the barbarian city and conquer it. Let's imagine what we should produce there (a member of the Council thought of another worker, which might be a good idea indeed).

I would move the Galea II to 1N1E(Neapolis) to be ready to assist our units. Should we also move Galea I closer to the greek border?

Also, i am a bit worried about having our northern border undefended... Celts and barbarians are a true plague ("What is plague, exactly?") for the Roman Empire.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar Iron Age Turn 282.CivBeyondSwordSave
    409.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
[Turn 283]
File uploaded.

Turn 283.jpg

CURRENT TURN (Turn 283)

I would move Galea I and II and shown and wait before attacking Greeks.
Right now there's another worker in Delphoi, which will probably be sent to the border in order to improve a tile, so we should invade Greece only when we can get both workers.

The barbarian city of Bizantion has 2 archers and one of them is wounded. As the city offers no defens bouses and wasn't built on a hill, we have a very high chance of conquering it without losing any units.
Chances are 94% win chance on first and even more on 2nd attack (because the second archer is wounded).

No interesting trades available, in my opinion.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar Iron Age Turn 283.CivBeyondSwordSave
    410 KB · Views: 142
Rome badly needs Archers! Who is going to guard all these cities after you capture them? Attacking Greece from NW and NE (Byzantion) is very tempting, but can you be sure you can secure your possessions? Even Roma has no defenders!

And by the way, when fighting Greece it would be an imperative to land some units on that Iron hill and pillage it ASAP. Last thing we need is to run into Hoplites.

The drunken governor in me says Celts be damned seize the wine! But my sober second thought says we ought to defend the Northern border a bit. Celts will come knocking sooner than later and they are strong! Archers should be prioritized then the war machine.

The drunken governor in me says Celts be damned seize the wine! But my sober second thought says we ought to defend the Northern border a bit. Celts will come knocking sooner than later and they are strong! Archers should be prioritized then the war machine.

It is of the utmost importance that we defend the northern Italian source of wine. Furthermore the wine looses its importance once we lack the subjects to intoxicate. Hence I wote to build archers. And possibly a wall (a huge wall ) if we lack one in Mediolanum, although the archers have priority. When does the celtic incursion actually start?

Last edited:
I would rather send two Legio Sagittariorum to Mediolanum rather than producing more units, but i think we should make a poll or analyze the problem more deeply.
The game will be uploaded this evening. Sorry for the delay, but i’ve been a little busy lately.

If you guys have some common plan we can discuss it and change our military plans accordingly (as we have plenty of Legio Sagittariorum).

Egypt has the score twice of Rome's, with 4 cities. Pretty bad start, from my average experience. UHV can be easily missed if we don't focus on them sometimes soon...

I think that we scheduled to invade them immediately after having dealt with the Greeks.

Last edited:
I hope if Greeks are dead they cannot be resurrected via Greek conquerors events.

[Turn 284]
File uploaded.

Turn 284.jpg

CURRENT TURN (Turn 284)

First of all i want to underline that Bizantium is a 100% Roman City and that the gold obtained from its conquest will allow us to keep our research rate for a bit longer.

Secondly, our Legio Centuria I has a promotion available, and i think that the best idea would be Raider I (+20% attack vs cities).

About the legions movement, i would send 2 Legio Sagittariorum to Mediolanum, 1 to Aquileia and 1 to the Chinese (because otherwise they will be too fast researching new techs).

Without losing too much time i would move 2 Legio Centuriae in 1E(Bizantium) and 1 Legio Centuriae in 2E1S(Aquileia), so that in 4 turns we will be able to capture two workers from the Greeks, and after a couple of turns of war (just to get some experience to our Legio Centuriae), make peace with Greeks to send our legions to the Egyptians, before they get too strong.

This strategy would allow us to have twice as many Operarii (workers), improving the Italian peninsula, while our legions will probably easily conquer/raze a couple of cities in Egypt.

What should Bizantium produce? I set up a worker, but maybe this is not the best idea at the moment.

Any tips/ideas?

PS: we need to deeply discuss the general war strategy for the next turns in order to maximise gold input and conquests.

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar Iron Age Turn 284.CivBeyondSwordSave
    411.3 KB · Views: 121
So you want to fight the Greeks just to capture the workers then sue for peace and conquer the Egyptians instead? Will we really have enough units to take on the Egyptians if we send our legions to defend our borders? Also, we have to make sure the Greeks don't take out our galleys during the war if we want to subsequently invade Egypt.

Yes, galleys will be kept in Neapolis during the whole war.
I think that 4 Legio Centuriae will be enough to deal some serious damage to the Egyptians.

Yes, galleys will be kept in Neapolis during the whole war.
I think that 4 Legio Centuriae will be enough to deal some serious damage to the Egyptians.
You might be right. I was playing a Rome game recently on Marathon and Egypt was very spread out, only 1 to 2 weak units on each city, meaning very easy to conquer over several turns. I approve. Egypt is easier to conquer than Greece and more gold potential... but no wine.

Raider promotions priority for sure. Defend the Northern border. Celts start invading sometime around Turn 300 iirc so we'll want to defend it with one legion on Mediolanum and Aquilea. We can send a legion to China but I think in return for slowing their progress if we can get open borders we should build them free Roman roads from Chang'an to Hangzhou.

[Turn 285]
File uploaded.

Turn 285.jpg

CURRENT TURN (Turn 285)
- what should Bizantium produce?

In Bizantium we could either produce a worker or a granary/monument. What should we do and why?
In my opinion it would be better to produce a granary, in order to let the city grow instead of stopping growth with the production of a worker.

About legions movement, i would send 2 Legio Centuriae to west to capture the greek worker chopping the wood and i would keep 1 in 1E(Bizantium) to capture the other one.

One Legio should be sent in Anatolia, in order to kill the greek archer that is in 3E1S(Bizantium). (Not highlighted in the picture)

We sent 2 Legio Sagittariorum to Mediolanum, 2 to Aquileia and 1 to the Chinese.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar Iron Age Turn 285.CivBeyondSwordSave
    411.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Top Bottom