Community Patch - How To Install

Good day,

can anyone say how much of the Vox Populi content came from the Communitas project? I'm currently in the process of trying to figure which of both is better used as template for a Mod Mod. Are there so many more bugfixes in Vox Populi compared to Communitas?

Good day,

can anyone say how much of the Vox Populi content came from the Communitas project? I'm currently in the process of trying to figure which of both is better used as template for a Mod Mod. Are there so many more bugfixes in Vox Populi compared to Communitas?
Communitas has not been updated or supported for a very long time nor does it seem the authors actively support it any longer. The community patch by Gazebo and the DLL with various components from whoward are the two main mods to base modmods from.

Good day,

While it may be true that Communitas inspired VP, nothing of the former is incorporated into VP, it is a brand new mod built from the ground up.

If you are solely looking for a base to create from there are a couple of things that should be made clear.
  1. Vox Populi relies on a custom DLL for all its functionality, this may, or may not, be problematic.
  2. VP does have substantially more 'bugfixes' simply because of the DLL being modified.
  3. The entire VP package is balanced together so taking some parts may require you to readjust certain values.

As the person that made the last official version of Communitas I'll say this:
"Just let it die a nice silent death. It had its day now that day has past."

As the person that made the last official version of Communitas I'll say this:
"Just let it die a nice silent death. It had its day now that day has past."

I didn't know that -- it must have been after my time. I was a heavy-duty tester, but my only original contribution was the concept of moderate era-based boosts for the AI, vs the vanilla megadose up front.

In its time, Communitas was terrific. You can't compare it to VP, because it purposely stayed mostly on the surface. Once BNW came out, I opted for the vanilla game. VP has transformed the game on a deeper level.

Hi! So I I'm getting the message that the Community Patch is not compatible with my version of the game? Why might this be?

can you add ability to build previous generations of units? It's kinda dumb that I have 33 oil but can't build any planes because they require aluminum, I'd rather have 33 bombers than none.

What do I do with the Overrides folder?
The UI folder?
I believe I can figure out to replace the old mod with the new beta folders in MODS>
Am I supposed to take apart Vox Populi-9-15 or let Steam some how install all its parts.

Also, where is the best place to post modding questions?
I would like to do simple things like increase science research time by a modifier (Handicaps?) and allow more than 1 Unit per tile
Thank you,
GDWitt

What do I do with the Overrides folder?
The UI folder?
I believe I can figure out to replace the old mod with the new beta folders in MODS>
Am I supposed to take apart Vox Populi-9-15 or let Steam some how install all its parts.

Also, where is the best place to post modding questions?
I would like to do simple things like increase science research time by a modifier (Handicaps?) and allow more than 1 Unit per tile
Thank you,
GDWitt

Overrides folder? Not sure where you're seeing that.

At any rate the easiest way to install this is to go to the first page of this thread and download the automatic installer version and follow the prompts in that installer. It handles all the dependencies for you and you should have no issue.

The main forum here for the Community patch (now known as Vox Populi) is fine for general questions, we also have specific threads for policies, leaders or other matters. Just have a look through and you will soon get the hang of it.

If you haven't yet played with this I'd strongly urge you to put off trying to change things until you see what has already been done. Everything has been balanced for each other and making changes before you know what is done will likely introduce oddities. Vox Populi is not like vanilla CivV, so don't play it as though it is.

I am trying to install the Betas from the forum on top of the auto-installer.

Betas contains "Vox Populi 9-15 NOEUI" and CvGameCore_Expansion.dll.
I removed the mods from CPP from MODS.
I have no idea where to put these.
I put Vox pop in the Mods folder and the game showed that I had all 5 mods.
However, after launching several times it is clear that the interface is broken. There is no way to plant a settler or see any tech trees.

I am fairly experienced with modding Civ5 from 2012 when I spent quite a bit of time trying to debug and define variables for Communitas. I like the units file in the Overrides folder, but don't know where to put it (other than leave it as is). It is one of the main reasons I want to use the Betas.

Please point me to the right thread or provide some beta install directions.

ALL the releases should be consider 'Beta'. VP is still in active development and is moving towards a "finished" standard. The last release should be the setup you work from.

When installed, either with or without EUI, there should be 6 mods to activate: 1 - 5 and 6A or 6B. If your UI is messed up that will be the reason.

Have a look at the GitHub repo and see what I mean, there you can also look for the files you're after, I still have no idea what it is you are describing. Units are defined in a number of places and depending on what you are trying to do will require you to edit different files.

Did you use to have an account @GDWitt here? I seem to recall someone by that name when Communitas was active.

is cbp installer placing eui into c/program files/steam/.. ? even though it's not the installation place of my game

Yes, I had a gdwitt account that I can't access.
I was pretty busy posting on Communitas over a year.
I remember that an Expired Reign was almost in a leadership role over there after Thal got busy elsewhere.

My job requires SQL so I'm trying to learn by seeing a working example.

For the file, see betas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034
If I can just branch this from git, I'd me even happier if only I could figure out how to install them.
The page above lists a combination of new and old advice.
The Beta is NoEUI while the installation I did from the autoinstaller was EUI.
Could that be the source of the problem.
The Beta download also provides this outside of the mod folder as well as inside the mod folder: CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll.
The other issues is that there is a "UI" folder with three lua files in it. I assume this doesn't replace what already in the mod, but should they be overwriting something in assets or
The current state: It played before the beta, but launches but doesn't offer an interface after the beta.
I see a jumbled mess of icons in the upper panel.

Finally, I see that most files have a .bak version. If I alter or replace the normal version, can I leave the .bak alone and the game will load the new version correctly?
Thank you,
GDW

This community is great. A new beta every 3-6 days. Check out the new Beta. There is a Community Balance Overhaul with EUi and another version with noEUI. How to I get the no EUI to work right? If you have time, what about the EUI? I assume I should start with the autoinstaller again and delete the file out of Assets/DLC?

If you want to get your hands dirty with cutting edge files, just use the GitHub repo. Those links on the first page of this thread are to copies of that structure on either Mega or Google Drive, much easier to use the source on GitHub.
As for the auto installer remember to choose the option, EUI or non-EUI when installing, don't just click "Next" all the time. Running it agian will remove EUI from your DLC folder and remove all the files not needed for a non-EUI game.

.bak files are not recognised by the game and will cause no problem, though they shouldn't be there in the first place. :mischief:

Now if you want to use this an example to learn SQL I'd just install the game and work from those files, much easier to see your changes and if you really stuff up just re-install it.

Don't know what tools you are using but I find an invaluable SQL tool is SQLiteSpy. Enter code in the top panel and see immediately the result in the database.

This morning's patch at the top of this thread is working so far. City screen and icons are all present.
I am using sublime text 3 to hone in on key words scattered about the files
For example, I can see handicap settings and unit aspects scattered across multiple directories. I am not sure how the modders keep it all straight.
How would I use SQLiteSpy without a database to pull from. I would like to work with modifying queries, but it's just guess work right now. I can't see table structures and it's too time-consuming to use a launch and test approach.

This morning's patch at the top of this thread is working so far. City screen and icons are all present.
I am using sublime text 3 to hone in on key words scattered about the files
For example, I can see handicap settings and unit aspects scattered across multiple directories. I am not sure how the modders keep it all straight.
How would I use SQLiteSpy without a database to pull from. I would like to work with modifying queries, but it's just guess work right now. I can't see table structures and it's too time-consuming to use a launch and test approach.

Eh? Everything is very well organized into folders and files. Heck, most data elements are alphabetized and heavily commented by yours truly. Just because it is not familiar to you does not mean we are at a loss for order.

G

First, I want to thank you for the wonderful thing you and your team have accomplished with this formerly broken game. The in-file notes are very good compared to what I've seen elsewhere.
It would be nice to know if I am posting my beta and install questions in the right place.
Yes, there is a learning curve to sort out which file takes top priority like any game.I wish I could just read a thread instead of asking here.

There is quite a bit of overlap across the mods.
Allowing 2 units per tile is a big deal for some players
I find "Stacking in 3 different locationsStackingrules.sql, CustomModOptions, PromotionsChanges, uniquieunits and several lua files.
1UPT is set in CustomModOptions, CommunityPatchDLL.

Another issue I have is that there is no central place to quickly alter stat features for things like units, buildings, features.
I did find Community Bal Overhaul/Balance Changes, but I find sql statements for these across several files and locations in there instead of xml files or charts. It would be wonderful if I could actually see the database called "Community" in a viewer instead of just 1 or 2 insert values. For example, UPDATE Units SET Combat = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_WARRIOR' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_UNITS' AND Value= 1 );
I would like to adjust moves and cost and maybe other features for this and similar units, but all I find is a few scattered update statements.
I saw that in the 9-15 beta all these were centralized in a huge file called "overrides" and Units.xml, but such a file is missing in the general release.

I do use "MySQLworkbench" for work and school and could quickly learn some other given tools.

Great work and I hope I can participate without being a burden in it in the future.
GDW

First, I want to thank you for the wonderful thing you and your team have accomplished with this formerly broken game. The in-file notes are very good compared to what I've seen elsewhere.
It would be nice to know if I am posting my beta and install questions in the right place.
Yes, there is a learning curve to sort out which file takes top priority like any game.I wish I could just read a thread instead of asking here.

There is quite a bit of overlap across the mods.
Allowing 2 units per tile is a big deal for some players
I find "Stacking in 3 different locationsStackingrules.sql, CustomModOptions, PromotionsChanges, uniquieunits and several lua files.
1UPT is set in CustomModOptions, CommunityPatchDLL.

Another issue I have is that there is no central place to quickly alter stat features for things like units, buildings, features.
I did find Community Bal Overhaul/Balance Changes, but I find sql statements for these across several files and locations in there instead of xml files or charts. It would be wonderful if I could actually see the database called "Community" in a viewer instead of just 1 or 2 insert values. For example, UPDATE Units SET Combat = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_WARRIOR' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_UNITS' AND Value= 1 );
I would like to adjust moves and cost and maybe other features for this and similar units, but all I find is a few scattered update statements.
I saw that in the 9-15 beta all these were centralized in a huge file called "overrides" and Units.xml, but such a file is missing in the general release.

I do use "MySQLworkbench" for work and school and could quickly learn some other given tools.

Great work and I hope I can participate without being a burden in it in the future.
GDW

I think you may be confused - sounds like you are mixing up the modpack (which is not made by me, and belongs in the DLC folder) with the actual set of mods that I curate and publish for the project.

Also, this isn't exactly the place for this convo - try opening a new thread in the main subforum (this one is for install issues).

G

Top Bottom