Community Patch - How To Install

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Vox Populi: A Community Patch Project

Newest Version:
4.5.1 (February 27, 2024)

Introduction:
Started in 2014, Vox Populi is a collaborative effort to improve Civilization V's AI and gameplay. Vox Populi is a collection of mods (see below) that are designed to work together seamlessly. The core of the project, the Community Patch, is a DLL-based mod that can be used independently of all other mods in the Project in order to improve your Civilization V experience. It does not modify any of the core game's content (such as leaders or buildings), but improves AI performance and addresses a number of bugs that remained after the final Civilization V patch. The Community Balance Overhaul (and all other elements of the Project), however, expands and changes the core mechanics of the game, offering an entirely new Civilization V experience that feels and plays like an evolution of the series.​
Note that as of the Great Merge (Version 2.0), the City-State Diplomacy, Civ IV Diplomatic Features and More Luxuries mods have been combined with the Community Balance Overhaul into the (2) Vox Populi mod.​
Requirements:
  • Civilization V (.279 version)
  • Gods and Kings Expansion
  • Brave New World Expansion
  • All Leader DLC
  • Ancient Wonders DLC
  • Windows 7-10

Vox Populi Information:

• Community Patch:
The single largest AI, Bugfix and API DLL for Civilization V. Is the base DLL for most Civ 5 mods that require a DLL. Contains bugfixes, AI improvements, and API enhancements for modders. No balance changes, and minimal gameplay changes are included. New DLL tables, functions and LUA events are included, however they are not used by the mod. Created by the Community Patch Project Team.​

• Community Balance Overhaul:
This mod completely overhauls the game by rebalancing policies, leaders, buildings, wonders, and more! Includes new systems, such as Monopolies and Corporations, and entirely new game concepts! Created by the Community Patch Project Team.​

• City-State Diplomacy Mod, by Gazebo:
Adds new ways to interact with City-States: Diplomatic Units, United Nations, Diplomatic Victory, City-State Quests, AI Difficulty and more. Created by Gazebo and modified by the Community Patch Project Team for compatibility. You can find more information here.​

• Civ IV Diplomatic Features, by Putmalk:
Adds Vassal States, Map and Tech trading, and more. Created by Putmalk and modified by the Community Patch Project Team for compatibility. You can find more information here.​
  • More Luxuries, by Barathor:
Barathor's More Luxury Mod enhances gameplay, and is part of the VP experience. Includes additional luxuries, with custom graphics and artwork, that expand the diversity of available resources in the game.​

• EUI Compatibility Files:
This mod makes Vox Populi compatible with EUI. Use this mod if you have installed the VP version of EUI.​
  • Promotion Icons and Promotion Tree
Adds unique promotion art for all new promotions (and some vanilla promotions) and a promotion tree viewer for all unit types in the game. These mods are optional enhancements which are not required to play the mod.​
  • Enhanced User Interface:
Enhanced User Interface offers a complete rework of Civ 5's user interface. This mod is not required by the Community Patch Project, but most Project users prefer it, and you may encounter bugs without it. It is included with the Automatic Installer. You will need to use the version of EUI that comes bundled with Vox Populi, as later versions of it are not compatible with the Project.

------------------------------------------------------------

Automatic Installer (Recommended):
This download includes all files, and will properly set up your installation by clearing your cache, deleting old files, and intelligently selecting installation locations. You will be asked to choose your preferred installation during the installation process, so please make sure to read all instructions!​

Manual Installation Instructions (Version 3.5.4+):

Spoiler :

1. Go to the GitHub releases page for the project: https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/releases

2. Find the version you want to install (the latest version is recommended) and download the zipped source code.
Spoiler Source Code Location :

Source Code.png

3. Extract the files from the zip file somewhere on your computer, such as the desktop.

4. The next steps differ based on which components you want to install:

IMPORTANT: When copying mod folders to a second location, make sure to delete any existing folder from a previous installation of Vox Populi or EUI first.

Community Patch Only
a. Copy the (1) Community Patch mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder (typical location on Windows is Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS).
b. Community Patch Only is not compatible with EUI. If you have EUI installed, delete the UI_bc1 folder from your DLC folder in Steam (typical location on Windows is Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1).

Vox Populi Without EUI
a. Copy the (1) Community Patch mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder (typical location on Windows is Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS). Delete the LUA folder inside it.
b. Copy the (2) Vox Populi mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder.
c. Open the Vox Populi Installer Files in the source code folder. Copy the VPUI folder to your DLC folder in Steam (typical location on Windows is Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC).
d. Open the Vox Populi Installer Files in the source code folder. Copy the VPUI/VPUI_tips_en_us.xml file to your Civ 5 Text folder (typical location on Windows is Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Text).

Vox Populi With EUI
a. Copy the (1) Community Patch mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder (typical location on Windows is Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS). Delete the LUA folder inside it.
b. Copy the (2) Vox Populi mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder. Delete the LUA folder inside it.
c. Copy the (3a) EUI Compatibility files mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder.
d. Open the Vox Populi Installer Files in the source code folder. Copy the VPUI and the UI_bc1 folders to your DLC folder in Steam (typical location on Windows is Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC).
e. Open the Vox Populi Installer Files in the source code folder. Copy the VPUI/VPUI_tips_en_us.xml file to your Civ 5 Text folder (typical location on Windows is Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Text).

5. If you want to play with the Promotion Icons/Promotion Tree mods, copy the (4a) and (4b) mod folders into your Civ 5 MODS folder.

6. If you want to play the 43 Civ Version of Vox Populi (which changes the maximum number of major civilizations to 43, but reduces the City-State maximum):
- Copy the (3b) 43 Civs Community Patch mod folder into your Civ 5 MODS folder.
- Open the (3b) folder and move the CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll file to the (1) Community Patch mod folder that you copied, replacing the existing DLL file there.

7. Delete your cache folder, if it is present (typical location on Windows is Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/cache).

8. Success! You can now delete the downloaded source code. Make sure to enable all installed components when playing the mod!

Troubleshooting
Vox Populi is compatible with most mods, except those that modify the .dll. If you are using a mod that contains a .dll, it will cause problems!​
Report a bug or ask for help! Our GitHub Issues Tracker is the best place to report bugs! Please note that bug reports not submitted on the project's Github Issues Tracker will likely be ignored!
To assist in reporting bugs, we recommend that you enable logging. Instructions can be found here, however please note that it will create a lot of files: https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL#to-enable-logging-for-bug-reports
We also recommend that you set max autosaves to 0 (unlimited) and autosave frequency to 1 in your game options. Uploading a savegame and specifying any other mods you're using helps us greatly in debugging an issue.​
Frequently asked questions:
  • My Interface is messed up when I use Vox Populi and the Community Patch!
    First try to clear your cache (delete all files in the Documents\My Games\Civilization 5\cache folder).

If you are using Community Patch Only and you have Enhanced User Interface (EUI) installed, it is not compatible and you will need to delete it.
    If you are using Vox Populi, but you have a later version of EUI installed (not the one that comes bundled with Vox Populi), it is not compatible and you will need to delete it.

Follow the automatic or manual installation instructions above to correctly replace EUI.

• My Game crashes when I try to play a game with "Yet (not) another Earth Map Pack!
    YnAEMP is working with the Vox Populi, but you have to pay attention to the setup before you launch a game!
    Follow this guide to set up your game!

• I can not see any changes in the Tech-, or the Policy-Tree, or the trees provide different information from what they really do!
    Do you play the Game in a different language than English? If yes, follow this guide!

Happy gaming!

Gazebo

Attachments

• cp.bmp
    319.7 KB · Views: 1,084,564
Last edited by a moderator:
It enables the stuff whoward integrated (salvaged). We kept it modular like that.
G

Does this include all the features from "Smart AI" or just parts of it?

Does this include all the features from "Smart AI" or just parts of it?

All the bits that actually work (or could be merged without causing me a migraine) - see the comments in the CustomModOptions.xml file around the AI_SMART option for what's actually included

Having an issue with EUI compatibility, I beleive. Everything works fine with toppanel after removing it, but I'm having an issue with mouseovers on my cities showing limited info (which isn't a big deal), but the killer is City-States are bugged info wise. If I hover over their banner in game it shows whatever city I last hovered overs' info instead, and it's the same if I try to hover over them on the right panel EUI adds.

What file needs to be deleted to fix this? Thanks!

Having an issue with EUI compatibility, I beleive. Everything works fine with toppanel after removing it, but I'm having an issue with mouseovers on my cities showing limited info (which isn't a big deal), but the killer is City-States are bugged info wise. If I hover over their banner in game it shows whatever city I last hovered overs' info instead, and it's the same if I try to hover over them on the right panel EUI adds.

It isn't a matter of deleting, but rather editing. You'll need to make EUI's citystatestatushelper.lua include the CP's changes. Search for 'Community' in that file (in the LUA folder) and add those changes to EUI's lua of the same name. Either that or convince bc1 to embed our changes in his lua. :)

G

What file did you need to delete to get the top panel to work. I can get everything else to work except for that.
Thanks

Found a workaround. Deleted citystatestatushelper.lua from the Community Patch directory, and let it instead use the one that loads with CSD v24. Everything working fine and nicely with EUI now. Dunno what I'm missing out on, but it looks fine and works and that's good enough for me!

Found a workaround. Deleted citystatestatushelper.lua from the Community Patch directory, and let it instead use the one that loads with CSD v24. Everything working fine and nicely with EUI now. Dunno what I'm missing out on, but it looks fine and works and that's good enough for me!

Nice workaround – I'll look into why that works (I should know, as I did both lua changes, but I've since forgotten!).

What file did you need to delete to get the top panel to work. I can get everything else to work except for that.

In the LUA folder of the Balance Patch, delete TopPanel.lua. You'll lose the happiness summary, but you can also get that in the Economic Overview popup.
G

Wait, do I have to get the "recommended mods" separately or are those features already in the patch? So if I want the samrt AI features, does it work with the patch? I want smart AI and enhanced UI aswell as the patch, but I don't know if I have to install all three or if the other two are already included in the patch

I'm confused

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait, do I have to get the "recommended mods" separately or are those features already in the patch? So if I want the samrt AI features, does it work with the patch? I want smart AI and enhanced UI aswell as the patch, but I don't know if I have to install all three or if the other two are already included in the patch

I'm confused

You'll need to install any/all recommended mods. Separately. The recommended mods are confirmed to work with CP – the list will grow with time.
G

I noticed you didn't include the mod compatibility folder with the base patch. Do we still need that for CSD and DiploFeatures to work with the mod? If so, are we better off grabbing it from the balance patch and adding it in, or using whowards 2 mod files?

Does this work with the communitas stuff?

No.

As this will eventually have 99% of CEP's changes, there is no need to load it.
The Community Balance Project is in fact the 'spiritual' successor to Communitas.

where exactly is the MODS directory? I can't seem to find it
It's usually in your Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization 5. The full directory path is usually "C:\<your username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS"

EDIT: Proper path is "C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS" as mentioned by whoward69 below, originally left out "Users" - oops.

It's usually in your Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization 5. The full directory path is usually "C:\<your username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS"
is it teh same as Modding? as i didn't find a mods directory but i found a modding directory from Assets\UI\FrontEnd

No.

The path on Windows-7 is

C:\Users\{username}\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

Top Bottom