Competing VC's (take 2)

2 warriors = pop 3, 1 warrior = pop 2, I think building at 3 would be better, plus more scouting is always handy and any that survive can spawn bust/garrison :)

Definitely two warriors and pop3, with hammers from food tiles. We can't even see a place we'd want to settle yet. :p

@Habitus,
Workers can move on the turn they finish an action (i.e. cow 4/4).

Cow-wheat-mine seems totally obvious here, as does Mining-BW.

2 warriors = pop 3, 1 warrior = pop 2, I think building at 3 would be better, plus more scouting is always handy and any that survive can spawn bust/garrison :)
Oops, I misunderstood your table to mean that we'd get 1 Warrior at Size 3.

So then it's down to a choice bewteen building 2 or 3 Warriors.

If we go for 3 Warriors, it might go into the next turnset anyway, but I think that I'd favour farming a Flood Plain over Mining a non-Riverside Mine for the 4th improvement.

Nope, they can move the next turn, the (Forest) 'tag' means ends turn in a forest as they have moved that turn :) When they are like 4/4 we can start working it thou, I'd say 2 warriors, settle for bonze if any is around or horse if we find it, otherwise I'd probably go hunting - archery over IW as we'd start getting barb trouble before we'd hook the iron up. We could even go worker at pop 3 and settler after, chopping into it if we've not seen a good site as we hit pop 3

Ok, the path for the game so far is simple enough... trail to BW and prepare for 2nd city.

The first 5 turns of the set were unevent ... then we meet this 2 pretty faces:
Spoiler :

Shaka scout is on the meeting pic, moty one appeard near where our starting warrior was healing to the north.

Then I did something that should never be done in a SG competitive or not :devil: :
Spoiler :

I gambled and gambled hard :p

For those that didn't understood the pic: I popped a hut with a worker near our cap without a unit inside .... this is highly dangerous in high levels, since workers can pop hostiles and popped barbs do not respect any conventions about how early they enter borders. Do not do this at home :p

That scout BTW is still alive and kicking ... after killing one bear and 2 lions ;)

I teched mining and started BW ( missing pic ) ... And nothing important happened in the rest of the set.

The lay of the land:
Spoiler :

As you can see above , we don't have any civ nearby to share the barb busting duties, so I decided to make warriors until we reach pop 4 ( that is in 1 turn, warrior ready in 2 ) and then i would suggest to make a settler , chopped/ whipped if needed be. Not so sure of where to settle city #2 , but definitely to the east near the river .... if we get bold we can try to settle near the wheat and those eastern FP. OFC when BW gets out , this will need to be revised ;)

Looks like I'm up? I'll probably give it a quick whirl tonight as there isn't much to discuss yet. The lack of horses is disappointing though :( That and having to fed off two nutjobs.

Roster:
-----------
bbp - played
rolo - played
shyuhe - UP
Dhoom
Habitus

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't pop barbs in the 3rd ring from your capital because of how the hut logic works.

True about the nutjobs ... my first though when seeing those two coming out was " WFT another headbashing game with 2 psychos " . This probably good for the people with military based VC since , even if we avoid warring them, they will most likely not leave us be peacefully in our corner :D

I would like to see the coast to the south-east of us, east of there, and south of us, so that we can determine whether or not we will partner that Plains Cow to our east and a bit south with:
a) a seafood Resource
OR
b) the Plains Wheat to the south
OR
c) the River squares

As a second priority, I would like to see the area around the Grassland Hills Pig to the north-east of us, to see which other terrain we should partner it up with.

Ok, the path for the game so far is simple enough... trail to BW and prepare for 2nd city.

The first 5 turns of the set were unevent ... then we meet this 2 pretty faces:
Spoiler :

Shaka scout is on the meeting pic, moty one appeard near where our starting warrior was healing to the north.

Then I did something that should never be done in a SG competitive or not :devil: :
Spoiler :

I gambled and gambled hard :p

For those that didn't understood the pic: I popped a hut with a worker near our cap without a unit inside .... this is highly dangerous in high levels, since workers can pop hostiles and popped barbs do not respect any conventions about how early they enter borders. Do not do this at home :p

That scout BTW is still alive and kicking ... after killing one bear and 2 lions ;)

I teched mining and started BW ( missing pic ) ... And nothing important happened in the rest of the set.

The lay of the land:
Spoiler :

As you can see above , we don't have any civ nearby to share the barb busting duties, so I decided to make warriors until we reach pop 4 ( that is in 1 turn, warrior ready in 2 ) and then i would suggest to make a settler , chopped/ whipped if needed be. Not so sure of where to settle city #2 , but definitely to the east near the river .... if we get bold we can try to settle near the wheat and those eastern FP. OFC when BW gets out , this will need to be revised ;)

Iirc you can't pop barbarians within 8 tiles of your city until you've settled a 2nd one :) (not sure if you can even then) You can pop them within 8 tiles of another person's first city thou, so if a AI poped it and got barbs its not so nice :)

Not much to report. Played through BW and pottery. BW brought this nice surprise:

Whipped a worker because we got a settler, but the barb buster died so the settler retreated. I didn't settle the next city but I think the location is obvious:

The settler has not moved this turn yet. Also, I found Monty - he's very far; about 20-30 tiles away. No idea where Shaka is still.

Roster:
-----------
bbp - played
rolo - played
shyuhe - played
Dhoom - UP
Habitus

Attachments

• Funny Hatty BC-2200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    104.6 KB · Views: 109
So, Cap grows to 4 on Axeman after Barracks for barbs?
New city is settled after road, builds workboat that it whips at pop 2 or 3 (depending on if the 2nd improvement is ready in time) and then at pop 4 whips a granary? Improve cow then wheat.
3rd city for fp + wheat?

Not checked save yet so once i do might see stuff to want other sites :)

The cow/wheat/fish site will allow us to farm a scientist pretty early, which is nice. I agree on the barracks--axe in Thebes. There's a lot of real estate between us and the nuts so we'll want axes to protect our borders before we ship out settlers. There is a LOT of river so we'll want to start cranking out settlers soon (and probably cottages to pay for them).

Ugh, building a Barracks when only having 1 City. Oh well, it's mostly done now and I'm not allowed to change the build order, so I guess we'll have a Barracks soon enough, yes. :)

New city is settled after road
Assuming that the Road can be completed this turn, yes, otherwise we'll settle on this turn regardless--the missing Food and production by delaying the settling for an extra turn isn't worth giving up just for a faster Trade Route connection.

Since I don't think that we have Hunting yet, we can still build Warriors, so I'd rather build a couple of those to complete our nearby-area-exploration and spawn-busting. An Axeman or two can come a bit later. It's too early to go conquesting any AI since we haven't found anyone nearby, while getting more explorers and spawn-busters out seems to be a higher priority to me than getting out quality ones while being forced to leave gaps in our exploration and spawn-busting.

Any thoughts on settling pattern? There are some Flood Plains to the east of our capital that we'll have to stretch to be able to avoid losing them.

For example: off-River for GH Pig, 3 Flood Plains, and 1 GHills square?

on-River but losing 2 Flood Plains permanently for 1 Flood Plains square, 1 GHills square, and the PWheat?

Since we're Creative, we'll be able to build cheap Libraries, thus Fishing -> Writing I guess makes sense.

EDIT: What happened to the Barb Archer in the 2600 BC screenshot? Did it die or just wander off? Do you know roughly where it might be?

Another EDIT: In the BUG options, I would suggest turning off the "Alternating Game Clock" option. It's annoying to want to see a Turn number and instead see a value like 9.00%.

Yet another EDIT: What's our overall plan for the capital? Do we aim to eventually put Cottages on the Flood Plains? Doing so seemed to work well for us last game.

We're going to be fielding at least 3 axes to fight off barbs, so I think that's over the break point for a barracks being useful. Also, keep in mind that axes are good 2 pop whips but barracks are not.

I think the road will take 2 turns to complete. Not sure whether it's better to hold off on settling it. Also, we should revolt out of slavery if we're not going to use it.

The barb archer wandered east I think.

I'd also prefer some warriors for now (we could have had 3 for the price of a barracks :lol:). Maybe one axe just in case.

That site looks really good. Revolting to Slavery now makes sense, but there's no point delaying settling for a TR.

Top Bottom