Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

As I said, I put my Vista CD in and repaired it. But for some reason, it comes up every time I reboot. And I have to repair it every time.

I didn't notice that. :blush: Will try.

Now, another problem, more psychological than technical: My mom's CD drive is broken. I can tell because when I try to boot from both the OEM and Ubuntu CD, it doesn't work. However she stubbornly insists on trying to repair the drivers. How can I convince her it won't help????

EDIT: I tried to explain to her again. She screamed something about throwing out the computer. I said "I have a spare drive under my bed" and she smacked me over the head.

Anyone know how to remember which end of battery is the +?
The 'stick-up' end, just like the + sign has a 'stick-up' bit :)

missing/corrupted winload.exe

Couple of people I know had that. It was related to dual booting and some misconfig on how the drives and boots were setup. I never had Vista, so can't help more, but if you dual boot, then follow that trail in Google.
she smacked me over the head
Take the hint, drop the subject. She'll ask if/when she's ready.

I bought another computer for $2. Do you think that it's possible to make a little money for myself (e.g. without mom taking it) if I clean them up and stuff?

If you want to find out what old hardware is worth, try looking it up on eBay.

OK.

Sometimes when I have thumbnails open in folders, the pictures are squashed? I open them up in the Windows Photo Gallery (or whatever it's called) and they're squashed. Any other program and they're fine. I did google it and got people complaining of the same problem but no solution. I

Does it matter? If the pictures are fine, then its not a problem. Its just a quirk in how windows displays thumbnails.

This is a thread for questions not worth their own thread, not questions not even worth a post. So next time when you post, ask yourself: does it really matter? For the sake of us all...

yes but its a pain

How well does DirectX work in VirtualBox? I googled it, it is possible, but how well?

Dont expect to play any resource-intensive games.

Why can some CDs have one tiny scratch and become nonfunctional, while others can have a ton of scratches and work without a problem?

Why can I stab you in the heart and you die, but I can shoot you in your arms multiple times and you dont die? Location, location, location.

I noticed the unusable ones have scratches near the outer edge. Is there something special about that location? And is there anything I can do to fix it? I tried looking up the game company (to see if I could get a replacement) but another company bought them out and I couldn't find any contact info anywhere.

Top Bottom