• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

I already have external drive. I already said, three backups, two different mediums, one offsite.

I will take a look at the Crashplan. I have a free offsite backup for some things but its not very big. If something takes Interac or PayPal its fine for me.

Edit: Only credit card ! :(

I do use USB or a second HDD for backups, I was speaking of optical media in general which to my understanding was what Zelig was talking about when he said "optical storage". DVDs and BDs are forms of optical storage.
"optical media in general" =/= "optical storage"

If I lived somewhere without highspeed internet, I wouldn't bother watching tv or movies. Or I'd pay for someone who lived in a non-awful location to mail me drives filled with media.

It's not necessarily that person's fault if they are born in a third world country for example and only a fool would make fun of the hardships such people must overcome.
Besides, it's really not that bad, you're just spoiled, you probably think you'd die without the internet but you won't. Life goes on. :)

"optical media in general" =/= "optical storage"

What optical media doesn't store something?

Question: How do you use the regex in Notepad++ to replace annoying curly quotes with normal ones? I tried to do one myself and it broke and made a big mess of the file. I am bad at this :blush:

I don't know how to replace multiple things at once, because the left-curly and the right-curly are two seperate characters.

That takes much time :(

Thats odd. Perhaps I could make a macro or something.

Well there are also the single-curly-quotes to deal with.

Very stupid thing: Some of the programs I use insist on making big stupid long names in the Open With list. I know how to rename the names in the registry edit but I forgot where the registry key is to do it, and google is being uncooperative with me today. Could someone please tell me? I think its mui-cache or something but I forgot where it is and it wont come up in the Find.

(Also, anybody know how to bookmark a regedit branch? Might come in helpful later on...)

I have a problem with my computer. I was using recently and it suddenly frozen and then I restarted it, but now it just turns on and off without actually starting up. What is the problem?

I am thinking it is something major.

If it doesn't boot, could be bad memory. If you have more than one stick, try booting with individual sticks.

Could be the hard drive. If you HD suddenly failed it won't boot, but you should get some kind of error message about missing boot device.

Check the memory first. If you only have the one stick, it might be possible to pull the memory from another machine and test with that. Or go the other way, and put the memory into another computer that will accept it.

I am building a computer without an optical drive and I'm installing Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM. To install the OS, will I have to remove the optical drive from another computer and temporarily install it in my build or is there an easier way to do this? I would prefer to just simply use a network cable or a USB thumb drive if at all possible as this would be the convenient method for me. If this is possible, can someone please either tell me how or provide a link to where I can learn how to do so? I'm assuming that I will need an iso file to do so, where can I find one? Thank you.

Note: I've looked online and all I can find is instructions on how do install it on a machine that already has an OS on it

PS: If this site's terms of use forbids asking questions like this, please tell me and I will alter my question so it doesn't violate any rules. I am not pirating the OS, I bought a legal copy for a legal purpose, I'm just trying to use the program that I bought

Top Bottom