Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
30°C is pretty low. We have laptops at work where the CPU can hit 70° or 80°C. That's Celsius... They would start to crash around 90°C. Of course, laptop architecture is a bit different from desktop...

If you google your model, you should be able to find a spec sheet. It'll tell you what the operating range is. I don't think 30°C is high though for a desktop. That's not too much above room temperature.

Chips and situations vary, but typically in computers where the measurements are taken at the outer surface of a chip, 70 is pushing the limit and anything below 50 is comfortable.

30C is more than fine, but I assume thats on idle. May want to check your full load temps. Run Prime 95 for 15 minutes to warm the chip up, and then measure temp. Do it while Prime 95 is running though.
@Turner, 30C is 10C above room temp, its the difference between a warm spring day and a hot summer day.

Thank you.

Do it while Prime 95 is running though.

IIRC, the last time I used P95 I couldn't do anything else at the same time. It's probably changed though. You may want to look for a process priority setting or processor usage percentage setting and leave a percent or two out.

Is inserting a new graphics card a case or simply removing PC case, taking out card, inserting new card, restart PC and install drivers?

Obviously I uninstall the drivers on the previous card and make sure I am earthed while performing the swap operation.

Is inserting a new graphics card a case or simply removing PC case, taking out card, inserting new card, restart PC and install drivers?

Obviously I uninstall the drivers on the previous card and make sure I am earthed while performing the swap operation.

You've done this before, haven't you :D

Unplug the power cord and hold the power on button for a few seconds to discharge the remaining power from the motherboard before you start. Plug the power cord back in so that you can lean on the case as an earth while you swap the card.

If you originally had integrated card, you'll probably have to disable in BIOS.

I'm not sure, it depends on the BIOS.

You can also disable in Windows, I think, but then change it every time you reinstall it.

Often the option says "Init use graphics" [PCI/AGP] or something similar. You'll also want to disable onboard VGA (probably on the "integrated peripherals" screen of the BIOS setup)

My mom is considering getting a laptop at the rent-to-own place, she wants me to pick it. They have some Durabooks there, I heard they're really rugged (so that'd be good for us). in general, are Durabooks any good?

This wouldn't be much for gaming, by the way. More for things like if I get sick again and have to go to the hospital.

If you're gonna be doing this, make sure you're on hardwood floors if possible, not wearing socks, and before you unplug the pc, turn the switch on the PSU off, hit the power button a few times to discharge the capacitors and then touch a part of your case that has exposed metal ( if its painted, take a key or something and make a little scratch that exposes metal.) This will help prevent you from frying anything in your pc.

Edit, need to read more of the post, I see you said this in the second part of your post.

@aimee -- Do you need a notebook that can survive a fall from very high up, or a swim in the pool? They cost a bit more than regular ones, and if you're careful in general, not worth it. Also, why Rent-To-Own? Get it from like Dell where you can do monthly payments ( most manufacturers offer this actually ). You get more choice this way...

@aimee -- Do you need a notebook that can survive a fall from very high up, or a swim in the pool? They cost a bit more than regular ones, and if you're careful in general, not worth it. Also, why Rent-To-Own? Get it from like Dell where you can do monthly payments ( most manufacturers offer this actually ). You get more choice this way...

A very durable notebook is important, because I tend to bang things around a lot.

Rent-to-own, we're on a budget, and can't order online.

bang around as in you put it down very hard or you put it down from the 3rd floor? Cus if its the first, it may be best to be less of a klutz ;) That one is easy though, once you own something that costs a lot, you'll probably be a bit more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom