1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by aimeeandbeatles, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Okay, I'm looking for a free backup program which may work something like this:
    You select the folders you want to backup, and the program keeps track of changes within them. When you start the program and run it, the program will only transfer new and modified files over to either your CD/DVD or USB drive (I'll be using a portable HDD which is like a large USB device). Incremental, I think.

Any idea? I don't remember seeing it before, but it's what I'd like to see. I looked around a little bit, but I'm not sure exactly how this would be described and I don't want to install a dozen programs trying to find it. Thanks. :)

3. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

All my browsers refuse to start playing a video or showing an image unless at least a significant part of it has already been downloaded. It's terrible, makes it very hard to watch long movies and annoying to surf on sites like Youtube. Is this an option somewhere on my computer, or is it more complicated? At least 3 other friends of mine (from my country) have this problem, so could it be related to the websites somehow?

On YouTube I usually have to wait around 2 minutes, on most other video sites I have to wait about 3 minutes, but on some like Yahoo news it will start after some 20 seconds. What could be causing this??

4. aimeeandbeatles

It's possible that if you're all using the same ISP, it could be traffic. Maybe you could call the ISP and ask if they're upgrading the lines or somethng.

5. Atticus

Atticus Deity Retired Moderator

I'm tryin to install IDE- hard disk on a computer which already has one SATA-disk. I creatively put it in the same cable with the CD-driver. The computer regocnized the disk when starting up, and it was even in the hardware list, and was operating correctly according to Windows XP:s contol panel, but I couldn't be found it in "My Computer"-folder. I've tried both master and slave options for the disk, but neither worked.

So is there some way to make that combination work?

6. lndm

lndm Prince

Is this a new drive or an old drive? What partitions are on it and what filesystems are on it?

7. Atticus

Old, I have no idea about it's filesystem or partitions.

8. lndm

lndm Prince

Then let's assume it has something on it.

Firstly, I'd unplug the CD (not that I think that's the problem). If you can see the hard drive in the BIOS report then it should be connected properly.

If it is visible in windows but there is no valid drive in my computer, I'd try altering the geometry in the BIOS (try normal, large and LBA). This would be the usual issue.

One other possibility is that the drive isn't validly formatted (data corruption through magnetic interference or other storage issue, for example).

9. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Which part of the control panel. The FS on it may be damaged or unreadable by XP. if so, you need to format the HDD. right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. From there, find the new/old HDD and format it.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Partition Magic will sometimes display drives that windows can't - and give you the option of formatting it.

11. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

@Atticus: Read this. It gives good advice about how to share a CD-ROM & HDD on one IDE channel, and which should be slave and which should be master, also which part of the cable they should be on. There are two types of cables, and this also gives details on those.

12. Till

Till Adventurer

I suggest rsync with cygwin or colinux. Here is a tutorial.

13. aimeeandbeatles

thank you.

14. Wong512

Wong512 Chieftain

Hi

Im not sure if this is the right threat but here goes:
    im trying to select parts to assemble my own computer for the first time so im quite new to it all.
    When a graphics card recommends a power supply of 420w and up for example does it use all that much power? What level of power supply is needed to run it? do other parts require similar levels of power?
    Im wondering what kind of powersupply do i need to run such a graphics card?
    Also how much watts is too much consumption, i would like to keep my consumption to a minimum.

Im new so any help is appreciated

Thanks

15. Genocidicbunny

Depends on the GPU in question. A 450 watt PSU will most definitely be fine, 350watts may be pushing it.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp oughta help you a bit more. Just enter the expected specs of your PC and it will tell you what you should have as a bare minimum. Its best to go a bit over that number though, to be on the safe side and to allow for some expansion.

16. Wong512

Wong512 Chieftain

Thanks Genocidicbunny for the link, was a great help :)

though it was confusing to use, but i still got around it

17. lndm

lndm Prince

If you use a larger power supply than needed, the extra Watts simply don't get used. Go ahead and add a margin of safety by going slightly over what you need.

18. Atticus

Thanks everybody! This helped:

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm total newbie in this thing :D

19. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card. I have selected the one I want, which is this one. I checked on my computer and it has a motherboard supporting PCI-Express cards, so I assume any PCI-E card will work in my computer? The card in question here is PCI-E 2.0, does this create any problems? Do I have to do a check to see if it is compatible with my computer, or will it be ok just to insert it?

20. Genocidicbunny

PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible. I dont think the 9600GT will exceed the bandwidth of PCIe 1.0, but even if it does, I doubt the difference in speed will be too big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.