Computer Spec. Required

I`m only worried about the cpu. Hoping the 6700k skylake can run this game on huge maps with large number of civs. Still remember civilization 5 launch, my 2600k sandy bridge had trouble running it even do it was quite high-end at the time.

If the game makes advantage of hexacores. I really would like to know way before release. So broadwell-e would make sense. (I would upgrade my pc just for this game, just like i did with civ 5)

I just noticed that, if they decide to make it for Windows 8/10, I'll have to get the dreaded update. I figured they probably won't alienate Windows 7 users since so many people have decided to stick with it, but it's always a good idea to check this while the update is free.

People seem generally happy with Windows 10. Windows 8 was a faux pas.

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't run on Windows 7.

I've heard others say Civ VI will be a DX12 game, which means we might need Windows 10 to get the best experience (even if the game runs on Windows 7)

Will it RUN? I don't think this has been confirmed yet.

There's surely going to be a DX 12 and a DX 11 version. I'm still on 7 and I don't hink I'll "upgrade" any time soon because Microsoft has completely lost it.
The more important question for me is if it will run on Linux which I'll probably switch to when I get a new PC in one or two years.

I think the bigger divide will be between people with 64-bit OSs and those still with 32-bit.

I think the bigger divide will be between people with 64-bit OSs and those still with 32-bit.

Why would anybody who expects his PC to be able to run games still have a 32 bit OS in this day and age ?

According to valve's steam survey, for may 2016, Windows 7 64bit is currently the 2nd most popular OS right after Windows 10 - both in their 64bit versions - with a 32.25% percentage. So in other words, it would simply be foolish for 2K to not make the game available to Windows 7.

The percentage of the machines running Windows 7 is dropping slowly but steadily though. So, even though Civ 6 will definitely run under Win7, I'm certain that Civilization ... 7, by the time that game comes out, it won't be available for that OS :)

There's surely going to be a DX 12 and a DX 11 version. I'm still on 7 and I don't hink I'll "upgrade" any time soon because Microsoft has completely lost it.
The more important question for me is if it will run on Linux which I'll probably switch to when I get a new PC in one or two years.

You can bet it'll run on steam OS and that's Linux based. It's what I'm planning on switching to when I have the spare dollar

How well does Civ V run on Linux anyway?

Civ V on a OS X is somewhat worse than Windows (and had delayed patches), which is why I've been trying to decide whether it'd worth it to get a new computer with Windows even though I prefer OS X for work. But Linux is an option I hadn't considered. (And I would only be using Linux or Windows for Civ, so that's all I care about.)

Moderator Action: "Will Civ 6 run on Windows 7?" merged with Computer Spec Required

No, Win10 is still available in a 32bit and a 64bit version.

You get access to both if you buy or upgrade to Win10, but you can still install the 32bit version, or, even worse, if you upgrade a win7/8 32bit system to win10 it'll automatically install the 32bit version. You then need to completely re-install win10 to get the 64bit version.

I bought an 8.1 laptop 32-bit version, but the upgrade was to 64-bit 10. I didn't have to re-install anything.

Sorry if this is a repeat.
But do we have confirmation of a simultaneous Mac release like Beyond Earth?

Except for DirectX, there's no reason I'm aware of that a 64-bit Windows client shouldn't work on any X64 OS, going back to Vista or even XP Pro. So it should work on Win7.

There are other Windows APIs and Windows OS functions other than DirectX that either work differently or are simply not available on earlier Windows versions. XAudio2 would probably be among the most notorious.

Top Bottom