(CONFIRMED) Waiting for other civilizations...

This bug is just ruined another great game for me, I don't think i'll be starting another one until it's fixed :(

I have put the game on the shelf till its fixed as well. This is getting ridiculous though, when Civ IV came out I could not play it due to memory leak and DX bugs. I had to wait months for it to be fixed. Now BTS is out and I cant play it due to this bug, and I have to wait months to play it. I don't think I will buy another firaxis product unless they make come kind of commitment to quality, and releasing products that work.

Here's my 2nd contribution to this thread. While my first one was played without Solver's patch (I checked later, and his patch doesn't solve that problem), this one was played the whole time with his patch.

Of the 3 games I've played that have involved colonies, 2 have gone to infinite loop. Guess I'll avoid maps that require them.

Attachments

• secondloop.CivBeyondSwordSave
    637.1 KB · Views: 248
I've probably got the same bug as everyone else in this thread. I am in war with Kublai Khan and his vassals.
Making peace in worldbuilder between us didn't help. I remember that I've encountered such a problem in
Warlords too: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=211546
but then I reported it in kind of wrong forum.
I'd think that Firaxis would've fixed this by now...

Oh, and I am runnig Beyond the Sword 3.03 with no extras such as Solver's patch.

Attachments

• kekekeke.CivBeyondSwordSave
    474.3 KB · Views: 246
Aaaaargh

Looks like I may have this bug as well.

Its 1906 and waiting to end turn. Upon pressing enter to end turn get a blank screen with the windows error message.

If memory serves its a small terra map.
No mods, version 3.3.

Text from the event viewer is--

"Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 12/09/2007
Time: 18:35:33
User:
Computer:
Description:
Faulting application civ4beyondsword.exe, version 3.0.3.1, faulting module cvgamecoredll.dll, version 3.0.3.0, fault address 0x000d0f70."

Save game is attached. I think its this same bug thats on this thread.

Attachments

• Gilgamesh AD-1906.CivBeyondSwordSave
    293.4 KB · Views: 182
I am also having the problem of the eternal loop during the "waiting fo other civs" I am not a computer geek so most of what the discussion said , I have little or no idea what folks were talking about. However, do I guess correctly when i infer that the only thing we can do is wait until Civ puts out som patches??? Thanks Greg:confused:

I've got the "Waiting for other Civilizations ..." loop bug too in my game. However, I suspect that the reason for the loop in my game is different from those already mentioned here.

The situation is this: Alexander and his vassal Genghis were in a war against Cyrus. Alexander captured a Persian city, and Cyrus capitulated to him. This also ended the war between Cyrus and Genghis.

The captured city is surrounded by Persian culture. This is not a problem for Alexander (who has units in the city), because as new master of Cyrus he can move freely through his territory. However, there are also units of Genghis in the city. These units are trapped, because Genghis of course hasn't an open borders treaty with Cyrus, they have just been at war against each other.

Now, when the turn processes, the game runs into an infinite loop when it's Genghis' turn to move. However, when I remove the units that are trapped in the city, then the turn processes normally.

So my current guess is that the game cannot cope with units being trapped this way. I'd like to run some further tests, but unfortunately I can only work with the worldbuilder, I can't use or edit worldbuilder saves (I'm using a mod that allows for 34 civilizations, which is great, but has a problem with worldbuilder saves due to too little memory being reserved for leader names).

Apparently, the worldbuilder allows me neither to forge an Open Borders treaty between Genghis and Cyrus, nor to drag-and-drop the units into Alexander's territory (where Genghis can move them), nor to change the culture of some tiles to carve out a corridor for Genghis, nor to bring Alexander's new city out of revolt and add lots of Greek culture to it to push the Persian borders back. Is this correct? (If so, it would be a pity, because all of these methods would be good tests for my hypothesis, it's a bit sad if none of them was possible.)

Also, is there a way to delete specifically Genghis' units from the city in question without having to delete dozens of Alexander's units first? Much to my surprise I haven't found a way to do that - no matter what I do, the worldbuilder always seems to remove Alexander's units first. Am I missing something?

Addendum:

Gah, stupid me didn't find the controls for editing terrain ownership. Now that I found them, I carved a corridor through through the Persian culture, so that Genghis' trapped units have an escape route.

As expected, the turn processes normally now. There is no infinite loop any more. Genghis just moves the units out of the city.

I'm not sure whether this bug got caught with the patch. It apparently wasn't solved by Solver's latest patch, because even after I installed it, the game still caught itself in the infinite loop as long as the units were trapped.

If desired, I can provide savegames from the turn before the infinite loop, another one from the turn before that (when the city got captured and the units got trapped), one from the turn before *that* one (not sure what this would be good for, but I do have it ;) ), and one after the solution of the problem that shows Genghis' units having moved out of the city.

Addendum:

Gah, stupid me didn't find the controls for editing terrain ownership. Now that I found them, I carved a corridor through through the Persian culture, so that Genghis' trapped units have an escape route.

As expected, the turn processes normally now. There is no infinite loop any more. Genghis just moves the units out of the city.

I'm not sure whether this bug got caught with the patch. It apparently wasn't solved by Solver's latest patch, because even after I installed it, the game still caught itself in the infinite loop as long as the units were trapped.

If desired, I can provide savegames from the turn before the infinite loop, another one from the turn before that (when the city got captured and the units got trapped), one from the turn before *that* one (not sure what this would be good for, but I do have it ;) ), and one after the solution of the problem that shows Genghis' units having moved out of the city.
you definitely should provide the saves - but I would do so in a new thread, this seems to be a different bug and to make sure Firaxians read it I'd repost it as a new bug. What you could try though is wait for the patch and load those games to see if the problem is solved in it (since they reported that it is finished I doubt that any fix would make it into this patch anyway).

I already PMed the bug to Solver, who immediately responded (record speed) and asked for the saves. They were a bit large for these forums (partly because I packed them together with the small mod required to play them), so I put them on Rapidshare. If someone else wants to have a look at them, here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/57123495/trapped_units_cause_infinite_loop.zip

The file is a zip archive with two saves included, as well as the mod required to load them. The 1700 AD save is just before the city of Gondar (north-eastern corner of Persian Empire) gets captured by the Greek. I placed a cavalry there for convenient watching. Just end the turn and see how Genghis' units end up trapped in the city.

The 1701 AD save is from the next turn, right before the infinite loop happens. End the turn to see that the game runs into an infinite loop when it's Genghis' turn.

To see that the being-trapped of the units is really the cause of the problem, just load the 1701 save, enter the worldbuilder, and assign some tiles around Gondar to Joao (who is another vassal of Alexander, and who has Open Borders with Genghis). Then end the turn. Genghis will simply move the units out of the city, and the game will not run into an infinite loop.

Just got my BTS the other day and this was(?) my first game. Got till 1718 but now I'm stuck in the eternal waiting for other civ's loop.
I played with utd BTS + Solvers patch.
Had hangers like this in the past in different versions w/o mods and usually all it took was going a few saves back and changing some stuff (auto moves, productions, research aso.). However this time, nothing seems to help. *sniff* ;)

Attachments

• Tomgamesh AD-1718.CivBeyondSwordSave
    952.5 KB · Views: 189
Just got my BTS the other day and this was(?) my first game. Got till 1718 but now I'm stuck in the eternal waiting for other civ's loop.
I played with utd BTS + Solvers patch.
Had hangers like this in the past in different versions w/o mods and usually all it took was going a few saves back and changing some stuff (auto moves, productions, research aso.). However this time, nothing seems to help. *sniff* ;)
This will likely be solved in the upcoming patch and you should be able to continue from your save then - so it still *is* your first game, I wouldn't give up on it too soon :) In the mean time: why not start a second game ;)

To me this worked:

This is just to say that I had this yesterday (also my first game) after more than 150 turns. I always set, on CivilizationIV.ini, before anything:
Spoiler :
; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 1

Then after waiting like an idiot for minutes I closed it, downloaded the patch (3.03B) and tried to load my last autosaved game. Same thing. Then, like someone here said, I tried to load my second last and still nothing, it would stop at the same spot. But then when I reloaded my "3rd last" it didn't hang anymore! Like you guys are saying, probably's something specific on the game of each one and some won't have the luck I had but just saying it here because I know how frustrating this was too, and I would try anything.

Good luck there

The "infinte loop" bug I mentioned several posts above was solved in 3.13. I kept a save from just before the bug appeared. I can load this save in 3.13 and continue playing normally, no infinite loop anymore. :)

The "infinte loop" bug I mentioned several posts above was solved in 3.13. I kept a save from just before the bug appeared. I can load this save in 3.13 and continue playing normally, no infinite loop anymore. :)

Yes, I expected that would happen! Hopefully all of these reported bugs are fixed by 3.13.

I've [hopefully] enclosed a savegame where ending this turn hangs at "waiting for other civs". I did some testing in worldbuilder and making peace between Toku and Oranj allows the game to proceed normally. I did not test further which unit(s) and/or action(s) were responsible.

I have the most recent patch (3.13), and only have the HOF mod (for GOTMs).

civ version 313
save version 301
build version 3.0.0.1 (81539) final release

Considering how complicated BTS/Civ4 is, it's remarkably bug-free.

Nicely done to all responsible! :goodjob:

Attachments

• gil AD-1888-July Toku-Oranj war causes waiting for other civs hangup.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
:hmm: proceeds fine for me - is there anything one has to do to make this happen?
Is this in response to my post?

If not, never mind ;)

If so, that is strange. I downloaded the file (just in case...) and started the game from it, and when it came up I immediately ended the turn (did nothing else) and it hung at 'waiting for other civs". The cursor remained the spinning globe and the 'waiting for other civs' kept flashing. I waited about 15 minutes, no change.

Interesting points:
-after 5-10 seconds I was able to use the spinning globe cursor to scroll around the map, and to click on some 'buttons' (like 'turn on/off grid' and save/load game, access worldbuilder, city list, research screen, etc.).
-clicking on cities did not open them up, clicking on units did not access them
-clicking on the list of AI (on the right hand side) caused the names to 'depress' but did not bring up the diplomacy screen
-the function keys brought up the appropriate screens, and clicking on 'exit' exited the screens

Also, after I ended the toku-oranj war (which allowed the game to proceed), 2 turns later I turned the war back on and the game continued to work just fine.

I'm curious if the saved game works for others, or if it's just me.

Top Bottom