Conquests of Might and Magic III

Sorry about taking forever... once extracted, just copy the CoMM3 folder on top of the existing CoMM3 folder and it will place the updated files into the correct folders. Overwrite any files when it asks.

download.. View attachment 296897

No Worries and Many Thanks! I have been pretty heavily focused on my own mods this past year, but when I do "Just Play" this has become my go-to mod.

Typo in Bloodlust Civilopedia - it is referred to as "Bloolust", which I can only assume means they are interested in Smurfs :)

Speed of workers for various tribes seems bugged. E.g. for Fortress and Castle (both non-Industrious) it takes 6 turns to make road on a grass while for Tower (Industrious) and Rampart (non-Industrious) it takes 18 turns.

S.

Edit: everything is O.K. I was confused by the first turn of Anarchy. And Castle is Industrious ;)

Probably because of number of units. I haven't worked on this for a while. I do have a more recent update that I can try to put up sometime, but it didn't really improve speed too much. IIRC, it actually runs faster the further into the game it gets. The most likely solution to this prob would be to get rid of the level 1 and/or 2 creature generators, which would cut down on those units by alot.

The scenarios would probably work a bit better than the epic game, but the semi-unfriendly editor makes them incredibly difficult to setup; and incredibly time consuming; and some problems with AI I still haven't figured a solution for brought about a permanant stall some time ago!

I would still like to get some of this mod more on the simplified side; but the way HoMM3 plays, if I did so, it would not be very HoMM-like, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Sorry stachnie, I know super late reply! But yes you are correct, different tribes have different worker speeds. I believe the civilopedia should state their speed under the worker entry.

Please be so kind and help me.

I'd love to play your mod, but everytime i try, i get the message

"Missing entry in "Text\Pedialcons.txt": ICON_BLDG_VillageHall"

I have solved the Problem:

I had extracted the main File and then additionaly moved all Files out of the Folder. Now that i extracted the two archives directly into the Scenarios Folder, everything is working fine.

My first impression is simply overwhelming...
Thanks for this awesome work!!!

After playing some Time, here are my Impressions (to be continued):
(As long as there is no response, I'll simply edit this post to avoid forum-spamming).

Suggestions:
° If i understand correctly, settlers can not be produced but automatically through the Palace.
If thats the case, i can only congrats to this decision. Still, i'd recommend to increase the number of turns it takes to produce a new settler, as the map fills incredibly fast at the moment, and as the single city is not as precious as it should be.

° Additionaly, I'd suggest the same system for units, means that units cannot be produced manually, but only automatically.
The thought behind this idea is to improve the worth of each unit significantly, and to add more depth to the game.
Of course, such a system would greatly benefit from the possibility to influence battles to the own favor. Possibilities would be special kinds of attack and strenght/weaknesses, also known as the rock/paper/scissors system, special ground benefits (f.e. unit gets bonus while standing on a hill) or chooseable upgrades (f.e. bonus strenght when defending or attacking a city).

And to compensate the lack of units in the beginning, i'd suggest to let each race start with its hero.
I havent discovered the complexity of hero developement (yet), but that heroes should be able to achieve several upgrades, and to develop in different directions.

° Concerning that such a system would lead to more gold in the game, special buildings could be integrated, which could be upgraded endlessly, could be developed only in the capital and had a cumulative effect. This buildings could be race-specific or generally available, unique or in different manifestations.
For example: for each level of building, all units you control get +1 attack/defense/movement / the building increases production/research/city defense/culture etc...

° Regarding the current state of developement, I can say that i generally like the auto-production buildings, but the feature has to be used carefully and reserved. Otherwise, you will have endless armys on the map and conquering becomes incredibly lenghty and stressful.

° "Spells", f.e. Magic Arrow should vanquish after being used, and in return, be much cheaper/faster produced. Its simply annoying to be attacked by 10 spells each turn, which cannot be countered.
My suggestion (at the example of MA): Magic Arrow appears every 20 turns. Effect: Magic Arrow deals 2 Damage to every unit in target stack or city, and is destroyed.

° There should be an action-button that allows units to rest until healed.

° In the diplomacy screen, each player should be written in its color. At the moment, its kind of impossible to know, which player is who.

° The possibility to set capture-points, means points where all produced units are automatically ordered, would be highly comfortable/the missing of this feature is pretty annoying.

° The defending-a-city-bonus is extremely annoying at the moment. The last game i played, i lost about 35 units up to griffin against one level 1 defender, which fully regenerated after each single battle.
My suggestion would be, to heal the life of units in cities by 2 after each battle, and by an additional 2 after each turn.

° Gold production is too high at the moment.

° The race-selection-screen should be sorted by races, f.e. castle 1,2,3, Inferno 1,2,3, Neutrals 1,2,3...

° Deseases should be turned off

Bugs:
° All "Legion-Equipment"-links in the "Creatures" research-screens lead to a "Invalid Entry" message.

Update:
At the current state of developement, i won't continue playing this mod. There are just too many units with too little worth on the map, and towns sprout like mushrooms out of the ground.

With the result, that every single round takes much focus and time, while the outcome is irrelevant.

Still i believe that this mod has great potential and will gladly test every upcoming version...

Hello Hayden!
First I must say that I wish I could implement many of your ideas. Civ 3 is limited though to what it's editor will allow us to do. Since we have no way to alter the EXE in any big way and do not have any source code to play with, the options are limited to what the game engine will allow.

I may try to upload an update very soon; it fixes the bug you mentioned and some other balance type issues. I initially only planned to make the Heroes of Might and Magic scenarios, and may resume them at some point if I can work out some of the problems; but for the epic game, I have switched work to a new Might and Magic (that spans all MM series as well as HoMM series, through it's history) which gives me freedom to make sure balance and game can run closer to the original Civ 3 (to avoid many of the problems I encountered with this).

Units do receive defensive benefits on varying amounts depending on the terrain they stand on. :)

That is alot of units to lose against a city! It must have been one heck of a defender! Usually the AI doesn't keep alot of units in cities other than the capitol. I am very surprised. Some towns, like the Fortress town, specialize on defense and have powerful defensive buildings; which can make them tough to take down. Not sure if this was the case though.

Hello Tom!

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt know mods for Civ3 are done by editor, and understand the limited room of possibilities you have better now.
Still, conquer of might and magic could significantly benefit from some fine-tuning, and become a greater game than it already is, without spending too much work on it.

I'll continue to post my impressions, but will keep in mind that groundbreaking changes cannot be expected or done.

What you told about your new mod is highly exciting for sure, and sounds like an awesome idea.
Are you going to release this new mod for civ3?

If thats the case, you can count on my help, if you like. My programming and editoring skills are irrelevant, but i have much experience in creating and optimizing, and love round-based fantasy games :)

Oh, and before i forget: What i wrote about ground defenses of units was meant as a "battle for wesnoth" system, means: different units have different resistances on the same ground.
After what you wrote, i dont think this would be possible to implement thought...

Yes, eventually this mod will be finished only as I originally intended, for specific scenarios; and the new complete Might and Magic Epic (which spans the whole M&M series) will be made for random map games. It gives me more freedom to make it work properly with the Civ 3 engine. I have parts of the tech tree, units, advances, and ideas in place; just a matter of getting it all together, which will probably take a little while; since more new units,graphics, terrain need to be created, etc. So won't be anytime really soon.

Thank you for your input though, I will see what I can do and welcome any ideas.

Nice mod!!! I like the frequency in which the settler units are created. There's so much to build I would hate to have to wait a long time on the settlers. Just my opinion. :)

I have a suggestion. Match the civ names with each other. It's very confusing for someone who has never even heard of "Heroes of Might and Magic" to select the opponents as conflux, tower, dungeon, etc. then in the game get contacted by the Avlee, the Krewlodians, and other weird names.

The main problem with this disparity is that I'll play a game and see one civ doing well so I think = should be that civ next time" only to see that the civ is not even listed by the name it's known in the game as. So I have no clue what to choose if I want to play the "etracians" for example.

Having pictures for the advisor screen is also confusing since they look so similar and because on the foreign advisor screen the civs are called castle, tower, etc. But I'll get a popup that says "the avlee have declared war" and I don't know who that is.

Nice mod!!! I like the frequency in which the settler units are created. There's so much to build I would hate to have to wait a long time on the settlers. Just my opinion. :)

Thank you ToG. The automatic settler creation helps keep the mod balances a little bit more, and lets the player focus on building the creature producing buildings.

I have a suggestion. Match the civ names with each other. It's very confusing for someone who has never even heard of "Heroes of Might and Magic" to select the opponents as conflux, tower, dungeon, etc. then in the game get contacted by the Avlee, the Krewlodians, and other weird names.

The main problem with this disparity is that I'll play a game and see one civ doing well so I think = should be that civ next time" only to see that the civ is not even listed by the name it's known in the game as. So I have no clue what to choose if I want to play the "etracians" for example.

Having pictures for the advisor screen is also confusing since they look so similar and because on the foreign advisor screen the civs are called castle, tower, etc. But I'll get a popup that says "the avlee have declared war" and I don't know who that is.

I do agree with you, and I believe that is how it initially was until I changed it. I do need to try to get an update for this out, and I will add this to what needs to be changed, so it is more clear to players whom is being talked about.

Possibilities would be special kinds of attack and strenght/weaknesses, also known as the rock/paper/scissors system, special ground benefits (f.e. unit gets bonus while standing on a hill) or chooseable upgrades (f.e. bonus strenght when defending or attacking a city).

This should be quite easy, but in Civ4 (and perhaps 5) where you have many types of units, promotions etc and a possibility to introduce new ones (I enjoy huge Civ4 modpacks like Rise of Mankind, RoM - a New Dawn and especially Caveman2Cosmos). In Civ3 you may modify only Attack, Defence and HP, with a possibility to add bombardment.

S.

Top Bottom