Cookbook #2 - horrible difficulty

Suffering from a cold. Not really focused much on Civ or forum. Dead to the world. Hopefully feel better by Christmas.

A rather uneventful save here. I went with Swordnboard's save. Back to cookbook 1 again. :D

Attachments

• CB2 Tonny-Swordnboard BC-0875 t80.CivBeyondSwordSave
    109.3 KB · Views: 147
Okay so we are clearly struggling with deadlines during x-mas and new year,
i will push this back to Jan 5th (like book #1), and hope we get new saves then :)

Longer time to wait for those who played already, but i think we shouldn't continue with only few games.

Unlikely I will be able to play, the same for cookbook 1. Hopefully the format stays alive.

Posting a game too (from Lymond),
i had looked at Lain's save back then, but other than Shaka ending his game (i think :)) i saw not much.

Yup we need more saves here, mine is not really good but this would be my message (Sampsa):
for this format to stay alive, we need activity, we need average games played quickly if not more time was available,
it's all in good fun and next round we may do better again with more time.
But if very few peoples submit, we are in troubles.

Attachments

• Fippy_80 (Lymo).CivBeyondSwordSave
    112.2 KB · Views: 125
Okie...got mine in before the buzzer ;)

Used Sword's save here. Might try later with Sampsa's for fun.

Spoiler Note on game :
Bit of craziness here. Monty Dow'd Shaka at some point and I had moved a warrior up below Monty's land, so I saw his stack as he went fist mode - so know he was hitting Shaka. Meanwhile I had two axes up near that barb city but Shaka Impi took the city with help from Monty's Axe on the same turn (well IBT) Monty declared. So I said WTF. My warrior was standing next to a 0.0 health Impi in Monty's borders and the axes were next to the now Zulu city with an Impi. So I Dow'd Shaka and took the city and killed the Impi with my warrior. Gave Monty the city as it just seemd early on it would a) be under a bit of culture pressure and b) pizz off Monty. Plus, a bit of dipo with Monty.

Been at war with Shaka for some time, while Genghis Khan't and Nappy Dow'd Monty, so quite crazy. I've killed a few Zulu archers in the meantime and luckily stole 2 workers. Plus pillaged cottages around the E Zulu city. (have so many workers now I almost don't know what to do with them)

Monty took Zulu city just W of that E city on first turn of war, but Shaka took it back some turns later.

Problem is I can't get out of the war at present. In hindsight I might shoulda just build more axes.

Just finished Aesths, and had already put some in Alpha before I met Alex who has Alpha. One more turn of Alpha should allow trade I think.

Spoiler Screenie of crazyville for the lurkers :

Attachments

• lymond BC-0875.CivBeyondSwordSave
    109.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Full chatting mode now, deadline passed ;)

I have not that much to say about my game, going straight for construction rush with Cats + Axes (and Spears as needed).
2 Axes whipped but barracks finished before, some nice overflow, and Cats will be whipped heavily when i can.

Only 3 cities, tgw start from Lymond was nice, but ofc slower to get new settlers so i wanted growth rather than investing into another one for a copper city.
AIs were mostly teching maths as well, and i traded for some smaller stuff + IW before all chances passed.
Gold came from Pyras, built rather early.

I can't remember the details now, but I played from SnBs save and here is my situation:

Spoiler :

Things got dicey with red firsts flying all over the place. I had a warrior and an axe close to a barb city and tried to snipe just like Lymond seem to have succeeded with! :)
I declined a few war requests, but now the last turn I got another one from Shaka where he wanted me to join in on the fun against Monty.
Since Monty is dogpiled by Khan as well, and I got a few axes I felt that it was best to choose a side, before I get completely hated by everyone.

I more or less started to slowly build up with axes from T40, with the intent of joining some dogpile, but somewhere along the way I also wanted to expand, so I got the horse city, so I'm abit torn between two paths forward. Either just sit on my own and tech toward a cuirs stomp, or to follow Shaka and see if I can snipe some cities from Monty.
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Nappy and Alex are in their own war, and the rest of us are up against Monty in a dogpile.
Napoleon and Shaka has Alfabet, and I'm going for Aestethics to get some trades going.
Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Units:
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Economy:
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Okay then, new round starts.
Next stop turn 130.

All 5 games are available for playing again,
i dun feel like voting makes sense with this level of enthusiasm :think:
(krikav excluded, who plays a huge role in keeping our forum interesting imo, and ofc Lymond also wrote about his game)

@Lain please join again, take your revenge with one of our games :)
(just in case somebody wonders, yep you can look at all saves freely again before making a decision on which you pick)

Hi guys,

I know I am late to the party but I come back to shadow this cause it says it is horrible difficulty and I used to love those.:) I do have some map knowledge from skimming the thread (mainly that Lain lost to Shaka, and that probably all settled on the stone). Currently, I am at T108 and could save at T130 for comparison if you allow it.

I can comment on what I did so far and on the plan. Will try to look other saves when I get some time.
Spoiler General info until T80 - not really spoilerish :

I did not settle on the stone because warrior move to the south did not discover any food and I saw that settling the stone would leave me with very low production and health in the capital. Also, there were unrevealed tiles in the north which could have been food or strategic resource, or at least a green cottage. It turned out to be a copper, and I ended up with 16H capital. Super important since we lack food. Since I intended to chop everything and we did not have any Agriculture food source, early production and 3T earlier worker were not that important. Sheep were mined.

I settled my 2nd city on furs and 3rd city on the western river in a way which allows sheep sharing and also prevents AIs from settling at my borders and me becoming a land target which is crucial with warmongers. And also did not adopt a religion. When I got AH, I found out that I had horses in 3rd ring :facepalm:. HA rush was probably viable if someone gambled on useles (at least earlygame) AH.

Early tech path: BW, Fishing, Wheel, Pottery, Hunting, Archery, Sailing, Writing, Meditation, Priesthood, Monarchy (as a trading chip for Alphabet and for happiness). I got Alphabet, Maths, Iron Working from trades and Masonry with some gold. Dod not trade for small fry because I do not want to hit WFYABTA. Then I went for the Engineering slow tech path, mainly because I do not remember how to bulb it (it has been a long long time.:D).

Spoiler Up to T108, a bit spoilery but not really :

Thanks to the cottages, I am pushing around 100 sustainable bpt from 3 cities and will have Engineering in 10T. Oh, and I got super late GLH (I hoped for the failgold when had nothing to build.). Got Construction for the Machinery. Building XBows in 3T from the capital and whipping from fish/sheep city. Very slowly building from river city (10H, no food)

Since everyone is in war with someone, I will piggyback and probably attack Monty as he is in the middle of everyone, fighting GK and Zulu who are almost dead. Using fast worker and a scout as scouts to identify the soft spots. If I get 2-3 decent cities, it is GG. I only hope vassaling will not mess the things up. Most probable victory would be the Domination as dealing with both Nappy and Alex with their tech pace is gonna be a challenge.

I could start capturing before T130. :D
BTW, I still dont have Agriculture. :D

Oh, this is like a late xmas present. Mighty Shaka is returning from the shadows! Thanks for joining in on the fun! :)

Sorry if this might be derailing abit, but this really caught my attention.
"I ended up with 16H capital. Super important since we lack food."

I have experimented quite abit with hammer heavy capitals early on in some games now. I feel like there is alot of potential in such an approach, but I don't master it and don't fully understand how to leverage on it efficiently.
Ideas started to spawn when playing the following maps:

Light ~T10 (capital surroundings) spoilers for NC202, LHC82 and the Mao-Map from deity isolation workshop.
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

In all these, I feel that one can turn hammers into commerce in a quite efficient manner, both direcly in the form of going for failgold. But also more indirectly, as it opens up the possibility to completely ignore archery, since there is always the possibility to just zerg out warriors on demand.

Mighty Shaka indeed, picked the right game too with him causing troubles ;)
You can join still Shakabrade (and "officially" submit a t130 game), we always allow players joining after turnsets.
Ofc normally you should have played with one of our t80 saves, but why be picky on this one..

I have found some almost T80 save and played couple of turns to T80. You can also use my game, but Archery is there just to avoid Lain's fate. Otherwise it is just a drag on the development.

Attachments

• Cookbook BC-0875 - shakabrade.CivBeyondSwordSave
    114.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Shaka in da house!

I have found some almost T80 save and played couple of turns to T80. You can also use my game, but Archery is there just to avoid Lain's fate. Otherwise it is just a drag on the development.
Counts :)
On a side note, i will not set deadlines here anymore.
Should we remove "book status" from this game, and carry on like regular threads where peoples just report (if they like) whenever they want?

Top Bottom