• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Cool Pictures 14: no , it wasn't me who painted Mona Lisa

That looks like some sort of nightmarish bee farm from a dystopian future where mankind has been overtaken by bees.

It is today's reality for millions of people. :(

TLDR: The people of a territory of the French state are protesting against giving other citizens of the French state that have been living in that territory for a decade or more the right to vote in local elections because they feel that doing so would undermine their ability to vote their way into secession. And to make their point they are engaging in the proud French tradition of violent rioting.

... I see some irony here.

Villarrica volcano is seen from Pucón, Chile, on Sunday, May 12.

Villarrica volcano is seen from Pucón, Chile, on Sunday, May 12..jpg

Villagers work in a terraced field in Shiyuan, a village in Bijie, China. I spy two, maybe three, villagers at work.

Villagers work in a terraced field in Shiyuan, a village in Bijie, China, on Monday, May 13..jpg

Last edited:
This German Professor Repainted His Observatory into R2-D2:

observatory-painted-like-r2d2.png

Source.

May 13, shows new cars waiting to be transported from a port in Nanjing, China

May 13, shows new cars waiting to be transported from a port in Nanjing, China.jpg

I can see how the illusion is done and it's still throwing my brain off.

For some reason I get Bonanza vibes, if the Cartwrights were played by cats:

cats-walking.jpg

YKMV on who's who, but based on size, I'd say that orange tabby is Hoss. So from left to right, we have Ben, Hoss, Adam, and Little Joe.

Elephant burial of dead young'un in northern Bengal.

1717542798325.png

I saw an article on the paper that's from a few weeks back. It is indeed a really cool discovery - Asian elephants in NE India have been recorded burying dead calves on at least 5 separate occasions. Yet another hole blasted through the tattered remnants of human exceptionalism - burial was previously though to be one of the increasingly few things that was limited to humans (which does include other members of homo), but this indicates that it's not. We do many things to a different degree than other animals, but the underlying concepts are not unique to us.

Some art from the textmode art world
View attachment 693165

I had once 3d-modelled the Himeji castle.

Himeji castle is a marvel! I had a super busy day in Japan back on 2016; woke up early in Nara, jumped on the train, transferred to the high speed train line in Osaka (after getting temporarily lost and going in the wrong direction for a bit), jumped off the train (while it was stopped) in Kobe, put my bag in the storage locker, screwed up and had to pay again for the storage locker, googled a well reviewed steakhouse, walked there in the rain, was told I had to wait 45 minutes (but somewhere else), found a nearby staircase to wait in so that I wouldn't get wet, got back to the steakhouse, ate an amazing Wagyu A5 steak lunch, jumped back on the bullet train, got off in Himeji, took the bus to Himeji castle, got asked if I want a "free tour", assumed it was a scam, went with it anyway, had an amazing free tour of Himeji castle by a super cute (not in a sexual way) and knowledgeable older Japanese lady who spoke good English, she gave me a fascinating rundown on all the different aspects of the castle, after 2 hours of that I thanked her profusely, and ended up walking all the way back to the train station down the street you see in the photo, all the way from Himeji castle down to the train station, which is somewhere to the bottom/below, jumped back on the Shinkansen bullet train, and finally ended up in Hiroshima just after 10pm, walked to my hotel and checked in, then went to a restaurant owned by South Americans and got some solid South American food.. Perhaps Peruvian? I can't remember now.

Either way, there was so much that was fascinating about Himeji castle, especially I think the way it was designed to withstand earthquakes.. all using wood! The guide did a good job pointing out certain wood beams on different levels, and explaining their purpose. I wish I could remember any of that to share here. And yeah, that was a super action packed day, made possible by Japan's amazing train system and the amazing frequency and punctuality of the bullet trains.. and I suppose all the other trains in the network.

Here's my contribution to photo of the day, a great creation by ASCII art legend H7

h7-minnacanth.ans.png

^^^ From 1955-60 Andy Devine had a kids TV show called Andy's Gang. It was quirte astonishing for its time. One of its regular features were the adventures of an Indian boy named Gunga Ram. They were live action short films. I watched the show regularly but the only segment of Gunga Ram's adventures that I actually remember today was the one where he and his buddy collected honey from such cliffs by hanging down from the top on ropes. It was so exciting and scary. There are sites where I'm sure that episode is available to watch. Great photo!

:clap: Thanks.

Some random episode I think.

Top Bottom