Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

The problem is that the examples of mutations we have are either neutral or deleterious.

[citation needed]

You creationists are always going on about how random mutation could never result in beneficial changes, or "create information", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. But there is absolutely no reason to think that would be the case.

When a tree falls in the forest, even with nobody around to hear it, it still makes noise. Just because nobody saw it happen doesn't mean it didn't.

The term chromosome duplication means that the chromosome has duplicated part of itself, so that there is too much chromosome material present. This additional chromosome material may mean there are too many instructions for the body to process, and this may result in learning disability, developmental delay and health problems in a child.

The operative word being 'may'. A deletion, or any of the other changes, might just as easily be beneficial.

@Valka: I'm still watching. And still enjoying it. :)
@Valkyrie D'Jour, I'm watching, I'm watching. And I'm liking what I see so far.
:goodjob:

Thanks, guys. :D I'm glad that there's a discussion going on. Back in 1980 when the original Cosmos was on, I only had one friend at school to talk to about it, and maybe a couple of other people who ran one of the bookstores I usually went to on Saturdays in my weekly hunt for more reading material. My grandmother would let me go on about it, but she didn't really understand the science. She just approved that I was into educational stuff for some of my reading and TV watching. I guess it didn't hurt that she also thought Carl Sagan was pretty nice to look at (and listen to). :mischief:

This was the part I hated about the last episode. We can never know what goes on beyond the event horizon or the singularity.

But to clarify, time doesn't stop at the EH. It only looks like everythings stops at the EH from our outside view. If you crossed a EH of a supermassive BH, you wouldn't notice any change of time. It would flow normally.
That's assuming you're not too dead to notice time flowing normally.

Oh for fuggs sake ...

It's ridiculous, but some people would completely believe it. :(

That's a nifty vest Tyson is wearing, though. :)

Y U No answer? :\

Because nobody knows for sure. There is a big debate going on in black hole physics what actually happens when you cross the event horizon, with the possible solutions ranging from "nothing special" to "You will be burned to crisp by a firewall"

A prank site? Oh noes....

So I had high hopes but after watching a couple episodes I have to say that I am pretty disappointed. I found it to be boring and preachy.

yeah, all those facts tend to overwhelm people that already have all the answers.
hint: it's all gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

It's incredibly hard making a science program that has broad appeal. I betcha they're shooting for a grade 8 level of understanding, like the majority of newspapers do.

Yeah, I tried watching it many times but I always tune-off because none of its really new information to me anymore. The ones about biology and chemistry are a bit more interesting to me since I didn't read as much about it as I did physics or cosmology.

im okay with the show being shallow. after alll its primary purpose is to educate the masses. Masses include the LCD, so it shouldnt be too complex. Some of controversial topics are already too complex for people as is. And every time they tackle on religion/dogma i get anxious wondering how they're gonna tread thru this.... They did a decent job imo, but neither side are probably gonna be happy with how they delivered it anyway.

As great as sagan's cosmos is, i doubt that it's going to be easy for newer generation to watch that outdated footage. It's was even pretty old and outdated looking when I was young and watched it and that was 2 decades ago. This new attempt to reach out is sorely needed. If you're missing the 'magic' from the first cosmos, watch it with someone who's learning these kinda things for the first time and share the experience with them instead.

Comets are interesting, yeah. I still wish they'd gone with live actors instead of cartoons, though.

im okay with the show being shallow. after alll its primary purpose is to educate the masses.

I don't think it's primary purpose is to educate the masses.
It's primary purpose is to show that science is interesting.

Once upon a time americans in general thought that science was cool. Scientists were the heroes in movies and novels!
Now Jackass is cool, apparently.

Yeah, republicans, you are completely right: This is a secret government agenda to push kids away from thoughtless consumerism and bible worship towards science, thinking and logic.
Go grab your guns!

Top Bottom