COTM 13 Pre-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions if anyone wants to chime in. Since about 95% of the games I play if not more have good food starts, I'm a little unsure about how to manage a low food start. I assume there will be no granary and you will explore your immediate area for a high food source for your 2nd city. But when do you produce the first settler out of your capital? Do you do it right away as soon as the capital is size 3? Or do you wait longer? Does it depend if you find food bonuses nearby? Does it depend on other factors? For instance if you're going for the republic slingshot you might want to keep your research rate high and dropping your capital to size 1 could hurt that. Then again the gold hill will always be worked and will be your best commerce tile anyway so size 1 might not hurt your research too much.

If you find no food bonuses anywhere close will you build a granary in your capital? Will you devote more production towards military and try to use pointy stick expansion instead? Or just keep building settlers when you can and hope there's room to expand before the AI gobbles it all up?

Have there been deity GOTM's with no food bonus at the start location before? I'd like to read the QSC's from those games if so.

edit: I guess this post is assuming there isn't a food bonus just under the fog. There's a decent chance there will be one.

@Shillen

Build a few warriors for scouting and MP duty. Time a settler to come out of the capital just as it reaches size 3. Your single worker should be enough to develop the tiles around both the capital and your second city, since Paris will fall back to size 1 and will not need further improvements for a while.

It depends a little on what you find, but normally it's best to build granaries in both cities at this point. Paris will have one built long before it gets back to size 3 again. It will definitely pay for itself very quickly. Same thing goes for the second city.

Paris should next build a barracks at some point and churn out workers and military. At size 2, it can reach 5 SPT, building a 1 1/2 vet warriors (or the equivalent in other units) plus a worker every 5 turns. That works out nicely.

Hopefully your next city will be a settler factory. If not, work it like the capital. Build a barracks there too. Both cities can then build a settler and some military every ten turns. Your worker force comes from the new cities they found.

Question - What is the rule on restarting? I had a good game going, but got 50% of my cities captured in one turn because some idiot I had an MPP with declared on a military superpower :(. I either restart or I'm out... am I allowed to?

Moderator Action: Please read the instructions and rules if you wish to participate in this competition. As indicated by other posters:

1. Replaying any turns is expressly forbidden by the GOTM rules. Restarting is an extreme form or replay. I suggest you submit a defeat, as others will do.

2. Posting here is not permitted after you have started the game.

AlanH

Praesidian: Aside from the fact the rules would forbid you to restart even from turn 2 - just ask yourself:

You are already in the Industrial Age, thus know where Iron, Horses, Saltpetre, possible Coal is located, plus the entire map...don't you think that spoiler knowledge is completely disqualifying? ;)

Actually I dont (I got owned without ever knowing the techs required for those resources, except iron and horses), but of course the idea behind what you said is true.

Praesidian said:
Question - What is the rule on restarting? I had a good game going, but got 50% of my cities captured in one turn because some idiot I had an MPP with declared on a military superpower :(. I either restart or I'm out... am I allowed to?

Please read the GOTM rules.

First: A replay of any type is expressly forbidden, with the single exception of a computer crash, in which case replaying from the last autosave is allowed provided you duplicate all moves during that turn accurately to the best of your abilities. You can continue your game to victory or defeat and submit it that way, or you can submit your game now as a retirement, but you may not go back and change things, then play on officially. (You can of course re-play the turns unofficially without submitting -- a Jason calculator will be released after the game is closed that will allow you to determine what your score would have been if you hadn't made the mistake.)

Second: Current games are not to be discussed outside of the designated spoiler threads, and the first of those for this game will not be released for two more days. Players are not to post in the pregame or game-release threads once they have opened the save.

Renata

Praesidian said:
Actually I dont (I got owned without ever knowing the techs required for those resources, except iron and horses), but of course the idea behind what you said is true.

No more discussion of ongoing games in this thread.

Renata

Hmm no doubt I'll get owned but I think its time to play, with the "guys", Bedes Emperor game gave me endless problems (still playing it, I think I hate him :D ) conquest here we come !

Oh, I so desperately want to DL the save and play... (Even if I haven't beaten a Diety level game before, I'm confident I can if I take my time, so i'll be doing open.) But i'm visiting my brother and won't be back to my trusty Civ until Saturday evening. I guess i'll have to spend my time devising tactics for various situations. haha, more like relaxing and visiting old friends. That whole RL stuff. :D

OK so where is the post-game thread for COT 13? I am done with this one already.

You guys are BAD! Another Deity game? I am good at Emperor level, but Deity is just too much. It's fun to lose though.

I wonder how long people who will actually win are going to play this one - 40 hours? :)

Moderator Action: RULE: DO NOT POST HERE IF YOU HAVE STARTED THE GAME!

Off to start the game. I messed up and looked at the Hunt Thread for the current GOTM, so now I am going to have to try my first REAL Diety game with this one. I am going for the Conquest Class since I am not any where as good as I thought I was.

If I win by Space Race again on any GOTM or COTM, I am going to only play my regular Civ games as England. Oooh...now that is punishment...for a Vanilla Player. I will post in the Hunt Section as soon as I meet the requirements.

Looks like a freakin' quick loss for me.
But it is better to lose and learn, than to never have tried at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom