Couple of Mods

EricB

Prince
Here are a couple of mods that people may be interested in using.

One is the mod I've made to correct some balance issues with CEP. I tried to make it modular (meaning where the components are separate) so that it's easy to just remove things you don't like and keep the things that you do like. Also easy to just change it to what you want. If you like CEP but have a few issues with the balance of the mod, then check that one out. Most of the things in there will probably never make it into the core mod. There are just too many things to list on what it does. I have a hard time going back to just CEP without that mod though.

The other one is an AI mod for CEP. I've been working on trying to get the AI to make smarter choices in what it builds. The AI has a tendency to build way too many units and not infrastructure. They build so many that it bankrupts their economy and drains their science heavily. This is a first attempt at correcting that. This mod is compatible with CEP and with my own mod of CEP too. The load order for the mods is: CEP mods first, then the AI mod, then the modmod for CEP. If you use just CEP and the AI mod, then the AI will know about core CEP things. If you use both the AI mod and the modmod, then the AI will know about the new features. For example, in the core of CEP Denmark has Jelling Stones. The AI mod has flavors for the AI to properly build the building. In the mod of the mod, Jelling Stones are removed and replaced with a Viking Longship and that mod instructs the AI how to use the ship. So, it'll work either way.

We are actually attempting to merge this AI mod with the core CEP mod so we really need some testers to tell us what is good and what needs work about it. I've done some testing on my own with it but having some more eyes looking at it would help. Right now, it's a separate mod so that it can be easily tested.

Please let me know what you think about both mods, particularly the AI one since that will be more central to everyone's experiences.

P.S. To test the AI mod, you'll have to use the tuner in the SDK to switch over to AIs and see how they are managing their cities.

Update: Modified the mod to fix a small bug in some of the tech costs.

Does the AI mod also make AI smart enough to know they should plant most of the early Great People? Especially Scientits. Poor Neby will never be good until he realises bulbing an early Great Scientist is just a funny thing to do.

About the balance mod, what does it truly change? Does it also fix some bugs or is it simply balance oriented?

Downloading to check it out though, seems interesting enough.

No, the AI mod is related to what the AI selects to build in its cities. Nothing with what they do with particular units. Just AI flavors.

The other mod is merely balance changes, no bug fixes.

It changes a lot of social policies, enhancing some of them, nerfing a few.

Probably alters about half of the civilizations in some way. A few nerfs, but mostly buffs to weak ones so they are worth playing. Also, I tried to not just give free buildings in cities as that's rather boring.

Some minor changes to the tech tree, particularly in the classical era.

Also adjusted many religious belief effects, particularly pantheon beliefs.

Re-balancing of natural wonders.

More expensive to buy buildings/units with gold.

Basically, my goal was to make the game tougher and get rid of easy exploits and "optimal" strategies that work every time. So, if you like that style, then you might like it. The first thing you'll probably notice is that the early game takes a bit longer since the capital city doesn't start off with huge bonuses to get their science going. Takes a bit of patience.

If you try it and have some suggestions that's good! It's always a work in progress.

It is I tried it out the other day. Be careful with coastal civs though you will definitely need to build a bireme if you don't want your starting units to die easily.

Updated it today fixing a couple of bugs that I found. One was the Greek Odeon not getting the culture it should (+3 culture like a theatre). The other was the Portuguese Nau not receiving the correct free promotions. So the original post has the updated file. I'll try to keep that file up-to-date with whatever version I'm using for those who are interested in a slightly different flavor of CEP.

Is japan still fine with its samurai getting weakened from 37 to 28strength?

The Samurai strength of 37 was a bug. Longswordsman have a strength of 24 and Knights I believe are 26 strength(?). Arquebusiers are 24 strength.

28 strength is still very powerful. 37 is just ridiculous and absurd.

The upgrade for Longswordsman and Arquebusiers is the Musketman. Their strength is 37. Then, they upgrade to Rifleman, who have a strength of 43. I also lowered the combat strength of Musketman down to 34.

Arquebusiers (24) to Musketman (34) to Rifleman (43) seems more reasonable than 24->37->43. I've been playing for some time with this setting and it's much better.

Added tweaks to the ideologies (Freedom, Autocracy, Order).

Mostly a lot of buffs to useless policies. The goal is to make the ideologies competitive options to select instead of an option from one of the earlier trees.

Mod generally looks fine, but the tech tree at the Atomic Era is quite the mess: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26985795/techtree_wtf.png
(If the purpose is to make nukes harder to beeline for, perhaps add Rocketry as a prereq for Nuclear Fission, rather than bottlenecking Atomic Theory?)

Edit: After playing around with the files a bit here's my proposal for the tech tree: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26985795/techtree_proposal.png... of note:
1. Kept EricB's requirement for Refrigeration + Radio -> Plastics.
2. Changed Ecology to require Plastics rather than Refrigeration; that way you can't research it right after researching a single Modern Era tech
3. Added Rocketry -> Nuclear Fission.
4. Finally, added Nuclear Fission -> Lasers; this prevents beelining from Flight/Railroad all the way to Stealth while ignoring half of the tech tree for three eras

Re-edit: Found bugs regarding the ship "heal outside friendly territory" promotions:
1. English Ship of the Line lacks the promotion.
2. Battleship also lacks the promotion, while the Destroyer gets it twice
By the way I like the idea - I feel a bit silly always picking Naval Recon I for first promotion every time, simply because healing outside friendly territory is so useful (or to put in another way, not being able to heal outside friendly territory is such a drawback that I want to be rid of it as soon as possible)

Thanks for alerting me to those bugs. I fixed them. I've also been experimenting with trying to minimize the easiest of buying up city states so I added some effects in the patronage policy tree to tweak that.

I haven't worked too much with the tech tree in the later eras so I'll look into those suggestions. thanks!

Thanks for alerting me to those bugs. I fixed them. I've also been experimenting with trying to minimize the easiest of buying up city states so I added some effects in the patronage policy tree to tweak that.

I haven't worked too much with the tech tree in the later eras so I'll look into those suggestions. thanks!

your version is still based on 3.14.1 ?

your version is still based on 3.14.1 ?

Yes.

I can work on updating it to the newest version next week. I did try going to 3.15 but found it to be extremely unstable with a lot of bugs. I thought I'd wait until those bugs were fixed. Haven't looked at it in several weeks. Is it better now?

Yes.

I can work on updating it to the newest version next week. I did try going to 3.15 but found it to be extremely unstable with a lot of bugs. I thought I'd wait until those bugs were fixed. Haven't looked at it in several weeks. Is it better now?

no 3.15.1 has got a lot of issues, freeze and bugs. 3.16 is A LOT better.

I fixed a bug with the mod-mod and also edited it a bit. As far as the versions....it should work fine with newer releases of the communitas mod like 3.15 or 3.16. I played before with 3.15 and it was okay. Then, I reverted back to 3.14 because 3.15 was so unstable. It looks like 3.16 has been withdrawn and it's under construction. When that comes out I can check to make sure it's compatible with 3.16. Most of the changes I make in the mod-mod are unrelated to things in the core mod so they're aren't compatibility issues normally unless major changes are made. My mod typically affects issues of balance.

I also tried to make the code very readable and flexible so if there are things that someone doesn't like about it, it's easy enough to just comment out the unwanted code (or delete it entirely). Typically, there aren't that many interconnections between pieces of the mod, so you can take the parts you like and get rid of the parts that you don't like. Different people will have different tastes. From my perspective there are severe balance issues with the communitas mod, although the mod is much better than the vanilla game, which is practically unplayable it's so bad. I've tried to correct most of the balance issues I've seen and also make the game a little more challenging and not so easy.

Top Bottom