Cracker Retires

Many Thanks, Cracker!! The work you have put into GOTM has made the experience very rich, entertaining, educational, ... etc. In addition to the many outstanding features you've added to GOTM that have already been mentioned, I also wanted to include the Free-Fire Freaky Friday threads, which allowed the GOTM players to learn a little more about each other (I'll never view the color orange the same!). I've always enjoyed the civilization experience, but the last year has been just an amazing set of games. I know it must be very tough being in the 'hot seat'; your work and effort have been greatly appreciated and enjoyed.

And congrats Ainwood! I look forward to the future of GOTM.

Good luck on your new job, ainwood!
But since you've always been an excellent GOTM staff member IMO I trust you'll do great. ;)

Originally posted by TedJackson
I was bumbling along playing Chieftan and not really seeing what all the fuss was about until I stumbled over GotM 16 and thought "I'll give this a go". I cannot think of another game that has given such a huge ROI as Civ/PTW and I wouldn't have realised that return without your work cracker.

I too fall into this category, and cannot express how much I have learned while under Cracker's tutelage. THANK YOU!!! In the words of Sir Winston Churchill, "Never before has so much been owed by so many to so few." That is so true of all of us who play GOTM, and enjoy CFC. While I will say that this is especially true of Cracker, that may only be becuase he was so much in the public spotlight. Enjoy a well deserved retirement.

Congratulations and WELCOME Ainwood to a position as the chief supplier in a neighborhood of crazed addicts! (No offenses intended, but at times it seems to fit!) While I too have suffered some burnout of late, I am still able to rouse myself for at least downloading the files, and striving to complete the QSC.

I am concerned that QSC will be lost, as it was such a valuable learning tool. While I understand the frustrations that came with each release and patch from Firaxis, and how it impacted QSC, I deeply saddened that I arrived on the scene too late to gain from using the tool to compare my own games. I am not even close to being in the same league as most here, but appreciate the chance to learn from experts. To quote Cracker, "We will catch up on the QSCs and support the QSC for at least as long as I
am around."
I hope that QSC survives.

With greatest respect,
Row And Live

Cracker

I can't add anything new to the posts above but just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU for everything you have done to make my gaming experience so much richer than before. The innovations that have been made since you took over the administrators post have taken GOTM onto another plane and I hope that your legacy lives on under the new management.

All the best for the future (will we see you playing GOTM again now?) and take time to reflect in the glory of a job well done.:goodjob:

Thank you, cracker, for your tireless work and the great achievement of bringing structure into the complicated competition that is GOTM. You have my gratitude.

Cracker's retiring from GOTM? Well crud now we'll have to burn out ainwood by asking questions about GOTM technical issues through posts. I think I'll try and run GOTM26 with Conquests and start a thread as to how it crashes. :rolleyes:

Thank you Cracker for your time, your efforts enhanced CIV immeasurebly. Enjoy just playing for a while.

I look forward to another year of GOTM, good luck and thanks to ainwood and Aeson for carrying the torch. :love:

that's what I thought...you get edited! Really Cool Guys!

Moderator Action:
Well, I was going to let you get away with just having your post removed.

Despite your personal feelings towards cracker, your post does nothing to acknowledge the effort that cracker has put into the gotm, which has been immense.

This thread is here to thank him for his input. If you don't want to do that, fine. Don't post at all.

Flaming / trolling anyone will not to be tolerated.

Respect the authority of moderators
Public discussions of moderator actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private. If it's not resolved or if you don't receive a reply from the moderator after 24 hours, you can then PM or email Thunderfall.

@LtColjt: your post was removed because I consider it to be trolling. If you want to explain it, then please PM me.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Redwood, I could see your post getting plucked but I said nothing wrong.

Gee whiz no wonder don't nobody post here anymore.

that's my point exactly...I guess cracker's heavy handed whip lives on, to the detriment of many

I HAVE DONE ALL OF THE ABOVE, and IT RESULTED IN NO ACTION AND NOT EVEN A COURTESY OF A RESPONSE!

Redwoodtree;
The forum is NOT the place for this discussion.

I strongly suggest that you enable your PMs / e-mail, and we can discuss the issue outside of this thread.

Originally posted by samildanach
This thread reminds me of what happens when there is a change of ownership at a pub. :)

You mean a few regulars try to bully the new owner into giving them free drinks? :lol:

cracker was a harsh mod, but there is no reason to flame him now - whoever had troubles with him had ways of talking to him when he was a mod. I must say - my personal dislike for cracker nonwithstanding - I am appalled that some seem to find the need to kick after he has gone :eek:.

Where would GOTM be without his work? Dead, I guess, or a meetingplace of the cheaters! He didn't do perfect work, but when was the last time anone of us did? He did good work, and he did that with a lot of energy, putting a lot of effort into it, making GOTM something that was fun and exictement for many, not just a few - I think that he has at the very least earned thanx for that! :mad:

Hi,

I came late to gotm, but it totally revived and freshened up Civ3 for me. Thanks Cracker, you've done well! I hope the standard will be kept high and have every confidence in the new torchbearers!

Cheers
Hammurodi

I guess you're right Killer.

Cracker, thanks for your work so far at CFC. We disagreed on many things, but I could never doubt your enthusiasm. :)

I found this site a long time ago, but couldn't find the time to play with my 2 kids. They are finally old enough that I have some free time and I managed to play and complete gotm 24 and 25. They were easily the most interesting and fun games I've played of civ3 and I am a much better player as a result of their unique challenges. Cracker, I can only imagine the amount of time put into creating these games as the depth and subtlety are amazing. I know that this work was unpaid, but I hope it did not go unrewarded and I also hope that my small measure of thanks adds to that. While you enjoy your well-deserved break, I have a brand new GOTM and a whole lot of old ones to catch up on :).

Originally posted by carlosMM
You mean a few regulars try to bully the new owner into giving them free drinks? :lol:

:) Free beer for the GOTM regulars would be an unprecedented step in helping the GOTM continue to deliver the premier event in civilisation gameplay offering further unique and interesting challenges. Concomitant with this initiative we will be offering an array of new start positions the Conquest class "floor position", the Open Class "strange persons bed position" and of course for those who enjoy extra challenge the Predator Class "stomach pump position".
We hope you will join us in this new challenge carlosMM ....oh hang on, your not a regular I'm sorry the best we can offer you at the moment is a wine spritzer :p

My work collegues just gave me some strange looks for laughing out loud :lol:.

Originally posted by samildanach
Originally posted by carlosMM

:) Free beer for the GOTM regulars would be an unprecedented step in helping the GOTM continue to deliver the premier event in civilisation gameplay offering further unique and interesting challenges. Concomitant with this initiative we will be offering an array of new start positions the Conquest class "floor position", the Open Class "strange persons bed position" and of course for those who enjoy extra challenge the Predator Class "stomach pump position".
We hope you will join us in this new challenge carlosMM ....oh hang on, your not a regular I'm sorry the best we can offer you at the moment is a wine spritzer :p

are you a politician? :lol:

crackers retirement may get me to play GOTM again, i simply didn't like the fog and volcanos and so on.

Top Bottom