Crashes, Crashes and More Crashes

@Aristos after some patch in June I can't get that process to work anymore (bypassing the launcher) -- it still launches with the launcher. That's why I suggested the other method (the game went to a place where it was literally hard crashing my entire Win 10 system until eliminating the startup bloat -- and I agree, it's irresponsible for any game to do this).

If there is a way to newly bypass the launcher let me know, I'm game.

Strange, I am happily bypassing the stupid launcher both in Civ 5 and Civ 6 without any issue, with the same old, proven method stated in that thread.

I wonder if you have your Steam folder inside Program Files? Big NO-NO.

@Aristos after some patch in June I can't get that process to work anymore (bypassing the launcher) -- it still launches with the launcher.

Something happened a while back that caused the launcher to re-infest my Civ time. I didn't read Aristos' instructions fully and as a result had the same problem as you. Is it possible you're doing what I did and made the changes to a shortcut, rather than doing it in the steam app like you're supposed to do?

Game suddenly stopped working for me today (reinstalled a few days ago). Sometimes it would get stuck after clicking play in the launcher, other times it would get stuck "loading" the launcher. Quitting and restarting steam would not fix the issue. The launcher bypass fixed it.

Not only that, the game takes only a couple seconds to launch instead of the 30sec to 1min it did with the launcher. I don't recall anyone mentioning this before otherwise I'd have tried it already.

2K disappointing on this one.

I wonder if you have your Steam folder inside Program Files? Big NO-NO.

Why?

Game suddenly stopped working for me today (reinstalled a few days ago). Sometimes it would get stuck after clicking play in the launcher, other times it would get stuck "loading" the launcher. Quitting and restarting steam would not fix the issue. The launcher bypass fixed it.

Not only that, the game takes only a couple seconds to launch instead of the 30sec to 1min it did with the launcher. I don't recall anyone mentioning this before otherwise I'd have tried it already.

2K disappointing on this one.

Why?

I mentioned it. Long time ago. :)

"On this one", yeah...

Windows UAC is known to be "too nosy" when trying to "protect" the user from himself. Anything inside Program Files falls under strict UAC control, and depending on the software, interferes more or less to the point of blocking correct functionality. If you know what you are doing, keep everything you want more access control of, especially games, out of PF.

Oh brother, I get you, and if you know me a little, you would know that the last thing you can think about me is that I am a FXS apologist... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There is absolutely no excuse for the mediocre software they released and basically "abandoned" in a less than optimal state... I agree with you completely. That's why I looked for a way to bypass one of their "stupidities" and found it, to help others at least alleviate the effect of such less-than-optimal decision. It worked for many, but that does not mean it becomes an excuse in their favor. Quite the contrary.

I wasn't calling YOU an apologist. I already ranted about the guys who I meant in a previous post (apologists on steam). Of course I wasn't meaning you - I agree 100% with your position.

I'm very sorry for my wording that it came across that way.

Last edited:
One other thing about the launcher.

It is very easy to bypass the launcher on epic games (I have the game on steam and epic) with a simple shortcut to the dx11/dx12 exe. In fact, many epic games can be started in this manner. It does not have the same integrated drm as steam.

It doesn't fix the occasional next turn crashing because nothing will besides a fix from firaxis. There is clearly coding errors which crop up randomly. Moderator Action: <<snip>>

Moderator Action: Removed insulting speculation. You may post your complaints regarding games in the Civilization series. You may not make personal and insulting accusations. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced the occasional crash since April, but my game with Germany yesterday was just ridiculous. The game crashed about a dozen times. It got to the point where I was quick saving before clicking next turn just to minimize having to replay turns over and over. I'm not sure I have the energy to play another game like that.

I removed the launcher, up to now no more crashes, it seems. I will continue to monitor though.

Moderator Action: thread moved to the Technical Support section, and a few of the last unhelpful posts where deleted to keep it only about the crash issues and potential workaround.

Over 4500 hours of Civ6, and rarely got to finish a game... For crying out load; My system can run CP2077 without any issues!
Are we (the customers) at any point able to correctly identify why Civ6 is crashing?
In my opinion the game has been so rapidly developed over the last 2 years, so hardly any old bugs has been fixed. And rarely any new ones either. :(
So maybe we have several causes for it to crash? Like "Issue A does <this> to the game /files, and directly causes the game to crash", and "Issue B does <that> to the game, that indirectly causes the game to crash". Not to been confused with "Issue C, that doesn't match X/Y/Z software/hardware/firmware and result in <sometimes> a crash"...
Im just guessing here, but regarding the none existing support from 2K, the game needs a community recipe how to identify this mess, so at least we can actively try to avoid it. And maybe sometime the DLL's will get released, and you smart people can actually fix the game.

I read the issue has something to do with a memory leak and not just the launcher.
No one is really sure. The launcher definitely doesn't help, but errors seem to crop up so randomly that it's really impossible to figure out exactly what is going on. I have a feeling that this may also be a reason why we haven't gotten an official fix yet; it's possible that the devs don't really know either, and they don't want to speculate in public for fear of causing more confusion.

Since my last post on July 3, and also a video driver update if I recall correctly, I've had no more crashes. I played one game for about 280 turns with no crashes, and my current game is at around the 200 turn level also with no crashes. So whatever problem i was having seems to have been resolved.

Top Bottom