Crashes, Crashes and More Crashes

I made an account in the search of solutions. I recently bought civ 6 again, on Xbox series one. Before the most recent update I had no issues and saw my games go into hundreds of turns. Now I am unable to make it past turn 100. Sometimes the game will crash before turn 30. It doesn't blue screen, just closes the game and exits out. I have tried many different civs on every map, with every map size, and setting adjustment possible. With or without the in game mods, the game crashes. Putting my hand in hope that someone finds a solution because it doesn't seem like fireaxis is making an effort. This is my absolute favorite game and it's disappointing to not be able to play a consistent match.

There are too many reports of the game crashing particularly on Xbox.
Like most people I was highly impressed with the way Firaxis said Goodbye with their video and all the
other complimentary remarks they made . Far less impressive is leaving the game
in a state which makes the game difficult to play.
I'm still hoping that a final patch will arrive to fix this and other issues but so far I've seen no indication that
one is going to arrive.

I quit my current game, as the further I got into it the more crashes and freezes I was experiencing. I can say it is now unplayable without any hyperbole at all.

I am on Windows 10, without any mods.

On windows getting never ending turn freeze/hang since the April patch. Bypassing launcher, checked to see if I had the "fix" for that windows update installed, supposedly I do.

There are too many reports of the game crashing particularly on Xbox.
Like most people I was highly impressed with the way Firaxis said Goodbye with their video and all the
other complimentary remarks they made . Far less impressive is leaving the game
in a state which makes the game difficult to play.
I'm still hoping that a final patch will arrive to fix this and other issues but so far I've seen no indication that
one is going to arrive.

Talk is cheap remember. Like that video is nice, but my impression of the game will not be favorable if this thread continues to exist

Not that my pc is great or anything, my game ran perfectly fine before April's patch. Now the game runs horribly. I hope this gets cleaned up in a patch even if nothing else.

Since my last post in this thread, I've disabled all the Firaxis multi-player expansion content as I only do single-player. I haven't crashed anywhere near as much and actually made it all the way through one game without anything breaking (even with 165x95 maps). Turn times are still absurdly long, there's noticeable lag especially when too many things in the UI want to change at the same time, and re-rolling after a bad start takes about 4 minutes which is utterly unacceptable given my hardware*.

Steam user Zegangani posted in the comments section for Resourceful 2 that some of the instability is due to mods loading lots of assets and recommended disabling anything not needed. I don't know if this is true, nor do I understand how this can be the case for a top(ish)-end PC, especially given the trivial (as a percentage of available resources) CPU / RAM / GPU usage, but it seems to have helped significantly thus far.

* I'm not an IT guy. On an open road I expect a Ferrari to leave a Citroën 2CV in its dust.

My game started crashing every 1-5 turns in April, and it had been fine before. The crashes made Civ unplayable.

The system is a 2020 HP Omen laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H, GF GTX 1660Ti, 16GB 3200 RAM, Win10. No mods. Launcher bypassed. Latest drivers and updates to everything in the system. All DLCs and expansions for Civ installed.

The crashing issue might be linked to the infamous windows KB5001330 update from early April. It is widely reported to cause FPS drops and game crashes in many games. Microsoft implemented some hotfix for it at the end of April, but I see people are still reporting issues after the hotfix. Uninstalling KB5001330 is recommended to restore game performance.

Initially I could not uninstall the update. I could see it on the list of recent updates, but it was not displayed in the menu that allows you to uninstall updates. However, after I uninstalled all the updates that were installed after the 1330 update and restarted my system, it became possible to uninstall 1330, too.

I do not have time at the moment to test whether this solved the crash issue, but I will report back here within the next few days.

Edit: I just managed to play ca. 10 turns without a crash, the best result in several weeks. So I think I can tentatively say uninstalling the KB5001330 Windows update did the trick.

Yeah that fixed it for me, I owe you a beer.

Steam user Zegangani posted in the comments section for Resourceful 2 that some of the instability is due to mods loading lots of assets and recommended disabling anything not needed. I don't know if this is true, nor do I understand how this can be the case for a top(ish)-end PC, especially given the trivial (as a percentage of available resources) CPU / RAM / GPU usage, but it seems to have helped significantly thus far.
It has nothing to do with Performance of PC/Hardware but with an Asset limit introduced with the Babylon Pack (some Modders found out the exact limit, but I can't remember it) that can't be exceeded, otherwise, you know...
I don't have a High-End PC, but I used to play the Game with Warfare Expanded, Civ 5 Skin, All the Resource Mods, and a bunch of other Mods that add 3d Assets to the Game, and everything worked fine for me till the Babylon DLC came out. Disabling some DLCs allowed me to enable some of those Mods, but not all of them. It's nothing that Modders can Fix, the Devs are the only ones who can remove that limitation (or at least extend it).

those kind of crashes have indeed nothing to do with the hardware, they will happen on both high and low end PCs, but part of the global issue is those hardcoded limits.

I mean why code lower limits if they don't fix crashes for anyone, but even worse, have the opposite effect: more crashes for everyone...

those kind of crashes have indeed nothing to do with the hardware, they will happen on both high and low end PCs, but part of the global issue is those hardcoded limits.

I mean why code lower limits if they don't fix crashes for anyone, but even worse, have the opposite effect: more crashes for everyone...

'We want what's worst for everyone'

I have a new issue... I have been playing in recent weeks (with occasional crashes and freezes). But today I can't even get the launcher to start. I press the "Play" button but nothing happens. Anyone else having that issue?

I have a new issue... I have been playing in recent weeks (with occasional crashes and freezes). But today I can't even get the launcher to start. I press the "Play" button but nothing happens. Anyone else having that issue?

Yes, I'm having issues to as the launcher is a total mess. I have difficulty using my desktop shortcut, so I start the game through Steam now (why is this a thing?). Launching the game through Steam helps, but I must be patient for the launcher to appear and even more patient once I hit play on the launcher. Zero issues prior to April with any of this.

My game crashes all the time since the new launcher. It is not completely unplayable, as the crash can take awhile to happen and I have been able to finish some games (with restarts and loading autosaves).

I quit my current game, as the further I got into it the more crashes and freezes I was experiencing. I can say it is now unplayable without any hyperbole at all.

I am on Windows 10, without any mods.

I solved my crashes by bypassing the launcher.

Since then I have had one turn that wouldn't end though.

I solved my crashes by bypassing the launcher.

Since then I have had one turn that wouldn't end though.

This is also incredible! The endless turn bug persisting since Civ IV!!! How can this even be justified...

This is also incredible! The endless turn bug persisting since Civ IV!!! How can this even be justified...

I never experienced the endless turn bug on civ6 prior to the April patch. So I'd say this was introduced again, it happens very occasionally now for me

On a more positive note, I'm quite relieved that others are experiencing these problems as well. Not just that misery loves company, but I just figured that WHATEVER happened in the April update brought the resource requirement for the game to be played to be outside of the capabilities of my dated machine. Was playing a new Spain game with Societies (Owls, obviously) and had 17 cities and 33 trade routes by turn 130. And then just infinite-turn crash after crash. I figured I'd have to dumb-down my play to a hard max of 10 cities and 15 trade routes. So quite relieved that once we resolve the issue, I can go back to playing the way I prefer to, and what's more successful for this iteration of the game.

So I'll look into bypassing the stupid launcher. That seems easy enough.

But could someone please do a favor for old farts like me - can you please leave detailed but simple instructions on how to disable the KB500...R2D2C3PO windows thingy? With my luck I'll go to the wrong fix-it site and get another cancerous page of naked ladies loading more viruses into the cesspool that is my computer... Please and Thank You!!!

On a more positive note, I'm quite relieved that others are experiencing these problems as well. Not just that misery loves company, but I just figured that WHATEVER happened in the April update brought the resource requirement for the game to be played to be outside of the capabilities of my dated machine. Was playing a new Spain game with Societies (Owls, obviously) and had 17 cities and 33 trade routes by turn 130. And then just infinite-turn crash after crash. I figured I'd have to dumb-down my play to a hard max of 10 cities and 15 trade routes. So quite relieved that once we resolve the issue, I can go back to playing the way I prefer to, and what's more successful for this iteration of the game.

So I'll look into bypassing the stupid launcher. That seems easy enough.

But could someone please do a favor for old farts like me - can you please leave detailed but simple instructions on how to disable the KB500...R2D2C3PO windows thingy? With my luck I'll go to the wrong fix-it site and get another cancerous page of naked ladies loading more viruses into the cesspool that is my computer... Please and Thank You!!!

You can uninstall an update by going to Settings>Update & security>Windows Update>Advanced option>View your update history>Uninstall update

The update you wish to remove may not appear at first. Continue to remove updates, top of list down, until you can uninstall the desired update. The next time windows updates it will install it again and there is not a simple method to stop it from doing so. However, you can pause your updates for a month or two very easily. You can stop the updates altogether but it’s more difficult and not ideal. When windows does update with the bad update, you can try it again to see if things have changed. If it was not fixed, remove it again.

I can tell you that removing the Windows update fixed the civ 6 issues on my system.

Haven't had a game without a crash for many months. It's sad that they leave the game in this state forever since there will obviously be no more updates.

Top Bottom