Critics vs Audience?

Narz

keeping it real
Read this article on my lunch break. tl/dr : Chappelle's new special got panned by critics & praised by the audience (38% vs 99%).

Do you generally concur w critics or the general populace when it comes to art/culture?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/5135...mato-standup-reviews-are-amanda-prestigiacomo

I saw the special, I thought it was just ok, not offensive but not particularly inspired (except the Louis CK joke which I thought was pretty apt/funny).

Much more looking forward to Bill Burr's upcoming special. :)

I like the movie Out Cold but critics hate it. I am an oppressed minority

I'm capable of making up my own mind about cultural things. I don't need a critic to tell me if something is good or bad. I decide that for myself.

I generally go with audience scores.

Just be aware of any targets of score bomb ing or pushing agendas.

Critics often over rate progressive type stuff while trolls bomb them.

Critics don't generally like low brow type stuff and over rate boring period dramas.

Remember: Critics are not a united block. Find one who shares you taste.

I loved the old Cisco & Ebert show, but found out the hard way I could not trust them. :dubious: Hudson Hawk, Diner, My Dinner with Andre? :vomit:

I'm sure the media is now filled with critic raving about the new superhero movie, or Star Wars movie or Star Trek movie. To me, these movies have all the appeal of a cold, mash potato sandwich. :cringe:

I used to pay attention to them. I've found them to be pretty terrible. A few years ago a couple movies came out relatively close to each other to illustrate it. Bright on Netflix was panned by critics but audiences loved it. Star Wars the Last Jedi received high praise from critics, the audience was divided (it hit 44% on RT, lower than Phantom Menace).

I guess critics are there to tell us about the artistry of a film or something but they don't seem to know what audiences will like. I've also heard top critics that write for big publishers or have huge YouTube numbers often get invited to posh showings and are treated by the studios to garner good reviews. A rumor, but I'd believe it.

I liked him in Half Baked and Undercover Brother (smaller part). I remember an opening segue into a Chappelle Show I found funny. A bunch of people were onboard a plane waiting for take off and in several rows of 2 seats each were people the camera took turns focusing on. The first was a white father and daughter, Dad looked behind them and saw 2 black men and thought about how they might rape his daughter. Then the camera went to the 2 black men and they were freaked out by the 2 Muslims sitting behind them. I cant remember who the Muslims were worried about but the camera came to a couple of Native Americans and they were complaining about how the land was once theirs. Behind them were 2 buffalo griping about the Indians. In the last row was Dave reading a newspaper with the headline about a unified and peaceful America.

I liked him in Half Baked and Undercover Brother (smaller part). I remember an opening segue into a Chappelle Show I found funny. A bunch of people were onboard a plane waiting for take off and in several rows of 2 seats each were people the camera took turns focusing on. The first was a white father and daughter, Dad looked behind them and saw 2 black men and thought about how they might rape his daughter. Then the camera went to the 2 black men and they were freaked out by the 2 Muslims sitting behind them. I cant remember who the Muslims were worried about but the camera came to a couple of Native Americans and they were complaining about how the land was once theirs. Behind them were 2 buffalo griping about the Indians. In the last row was Dave reading a newspaper with the headline about a unified and peaceful America.

That's not bad

Comedy is usually politically incorrect.

And now we know you are incapable of laughing at yourself.

There are good trans jokes and then there are Boring, recycled, cliché trans jokes used by transphobes and unfortunately for you it was the latter so do me a favour mate; when you can make a joke that doesn't punch down on an already marginalised and victimised group I'll listen to what you have to say until then you are literally repeating the same excuses that the endless legions of trolls give to downplay their crap

Last edited:
One that doesn't exploit the pain or suffering of transpeople.

People often accused me of being gay, but I'm so straight that I'm willing to transition to the opposite gender.

In my experience most ethnic jokes exploit them. As long as they're done in good spirit, I don't mind being poked fun of. Life and people are naturally funny.
You can tell when it becomes mean spirited.

Can we not forget that Chapelle isn't trans himself? It would be like a white person making mainly ethnic jokes, at some point the dissonance becomes undeniable.

To me that's not an issue. A joke in good taste can be regardless of the person telling it.
Granted the bar is higher but not unattainable.

Can we not forget that Chapelle isn't trans himself? It would be like a white person making mainly ethnic jokes, at some point the dissonance becomes undeniable.
I love making fun of Jews even tho I'm not a Jew. Usually they like it, cuz I'm funny and cuz Jews have pretty high self-regard

I found out I'm 5% Jew not that it really matters

It was pretty funny. Chapelle was always like this. His jokes are sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, addict-abusing, homeless-insulting, cliche ridden, and yet somehow he spins it just right that most his core audience "gets it" and comes away less of those things. People's biggest issue with transgenderism is that for many people it's simply super alien. Teasing and jokes, even hazing to a degree, can be harmful, but it can also be what allows people to become one family and get comfortable with each other. What makes one another normal to one another. And normal becomes accepted. That some of his audience uses that to reinforce their bigotry is a part of why he quit for so many years. He plays with fire.
People often accused me of being gay, but I'm so straight that I'm willing to transition to the opposite gender.
That's a good one.

There are some times I agree with critics, some more audience. I love Only God Forgives, which critics hated. I tend to hate Tarantino moves. It depends. I guess there are things I like more or less than other people. Like most of us.

The Chapelle thing is whack. Making fun of children being raped sucks. The whole thing is garbage.

Top Bottom