Critics vs Audience?

Sure but if that's a response to me, that wasn't my point. Chapelle is careful not too offend black people or the great black men he admires, and takes offense himself at perceived slights against him. Hypocritical, not politically incorrect.

No idea I don't really watch stand up but you couldn't really tell black jokes these days without causing a stink.

Personally I don't mind jokes about men, New Zealanders etc. I've heard a few. I think it's how clever you are about it and how you tie it into the rest of the material.

He is no George Carlin who manages to be both funny and insightful.
Some of Carlin's bits didn't age that well either. I recently watched two of his specials, one from the 90's and the other from right before he died. The earlier one was pretty bad and was super macho and aggressive even as he berated macho men. I was surprised at how unfunny it was and I did some research on him and it turned out that the one from the 90's was filmed at one of the many low points in his life. It showed. The later one was a lot funnier and less full of macho posturing.

He was also anti-vax before anti-vaxxers were a thing but it was hard to tell if he was serious or just macho-flexing about how hard and haphazard his own upbringing was relative to modern kids.

Some of Carlin's bits didn't age that well either. I recently watched two of his specials, one from the 90's and the other from right before he died. The earlier one was pretty bad and was super macho and aggressive even as he berated macho men. I was surprised at how unfunny it was and I did some research on him and it turned out that the one from the 90's was filmed at one of the many low points in his life. It showed. The later one was a lot funnier and less full of macho posturing.

He was also anti-vax before anti-vaxxers were a thing but it was hard to tell if he was serious or just macho-flexing about how hard and haphazard his own upbringing was relative to modern kids.

There was still a point (hyper obsessiveness with being a germophobe has drawbacks) and a joke (armpits, ***, ****, teeth, use the same brush to clean each!) Chappelle just seems to mock in some of his jokes.

No idea I don't really watch stand up but you couldn't really tell black jokes these days without causing a stink.

Personally I don't mind jokes about men, New Zealanders etc. I've heard a few. I think it's how clever you are about it and how you tie it into the rest of the material.

And that there is the rub. He, and many comics and others, will decry the free speech of critics or people speaking out against certain figures saying it's going too far... While defending his right to mock and misgender and use the f word as the free speech of comedy. It's always like that for any of idiots who champion their right to say whatever however, they then get outraged when stuff is said about or against them.

There was still a point (hyper obsessiveness with being a germophobe has drawbacks) and a joke (armpits, ***, ****, teeth, use the same brush to clean each!) Chappelle just seems to mock in some of his jokes.

And that there is the rub. He, and many comics and others, will decry the free speech of critics or people speaking out against certain figures saying it's going too far... While defending his right to mock and misgender and use the f word as the free speech of comedy. It's always like that for any of idiots who champion their right to say whatever however, they then get outraged when stuff is said about or against them.

Yeah that's idiotic. Being offensive as a comedian is kind of expected/in the job description.

I'm watching Married With Children which I have not seen for a while, it's the 3rd time since 1989.

It's very offensive you couldn't make it these days. It's also a brilliant social satire though IMHO and clever.

Sure but if that's a response to me, that wasn't my point. Chapelle is careful not too offend black people or the great black men he admires, and takes offense himself at perceived slights against him. Hypocritical, not politically incorrect.

This seems like my only beef with Chapelle; hypocrisy. That Jackson joke was just hard to listen to, I'm okay with it, but ugh.

Most Jackson jokes I know have been doing the rounds since 1993.

We were telling them at school back then.

Most Jackson jokes I know have been doing the rounds since 1993.

We were telling them at school back then.

Its gone from weird and likely to verifiable with faces of children molested known. It was hard to listen to and not funny.

These current Chappelle jokes are him being a pedo/rapist apologist, not to make a point to reveal some truth like others have expressed here, literally being one. Society does a good job making most people defend the rich corrupt and powerful.

Cisco & Ebert
:confused:

Do you mean Siskel & Ebert?

I like politically incorrect jokes, the more offensive the better.

Jokes about women and gays aren't really offensive enough and are so 80's and 90's.

Same with blonde jokes in the early 90's.

Half the point of comedy is to offend.
Well, if the point of this post was to be offensive, you've succeeded. :huh:

:confused:

Do you mean Siskel & Ebert?

Well, if the point of this post was to be offensive, you've succeeded. :huh:

There's worse jokes. The main point here is to shock people when you tell them (or get told them).

I work at a port so you get stories and jokes from sailors and dock hands, ex cons and gang members types. Russian sailor spilt German beer on me last week.

So yeah out in the real world not the sanitized bubble people like living in you're gonna get off colour, politically incorrect jokes.

Main reason I know them is I remember them. I can remember them from the 80s and 90s.

I also went to a fairly rough school
. Literally the wrong side of the tracks- the train tracks ran through the school.

There's worse jokes. The main point here is to shock people when you tell them (or get told them).

I work at a port so you get stories and jokes from sailors and dock hands, ex cons and gang members types. Russian sailor spilt German beer on me last week.

So yeah out in the real world not the sanitized bubble people like living in you're gonna get off colour, politically incorrect jokes.

Main reason I know them is I remember them. I can remember them from the 80s and 90s.

I also went to a fairly rough school
. Literally the wrong side of the tracks- the train tracks ran through the school.

The fact is, it's not just being offensive (though that's part of it, certainly). A large portion of what passes for "humour" today is just not funny. It's low-grade, uninspired drivel. It's mindless, repetitive, cliched, witless, blatant, and even - dare I say it - STUPID. Most mainstream "humour" seems to have lost touch utterly with what humour is supposed to be. Watching grass grow, watching paint dry, and receiving dental surgery (without the nitrous oxide anesthetic) is more humorously amusing than enduring a lot of what's promoted and touted as "humour" and "comedy," nowadays.

The fact is, it's not just being offensive (though that's part of it, certainly). A large portion of what passes for "humour" today is just not funny. It's low-grade, uninspired drivel. It's mindless, repetitive, cliched, witless, blatant, and even - dare I say it - STUPID. Most mainstream "humour" seems to have lost touch utterly with what humour is supposed to be. Watching grass grow, watching paint dry, and receiving dental surgery (without the nitrous oxide anesthetic) is more humorously amusing than enduring a lot of what's promoted and touted as "humour" and "comedy," nowadays.

You're preaching to the converted.

I haven't had a TV signal in almost a decade. For humour I like the older (80s ,British 90s stuff, Married With Children and early South Park/Family guy.

Well executed toilet humor, subtle Blackadder, or ridiculess like MWC or Red Dwarf.

You're preaching to the converted.

I haven't had a TV signal in almost a decade. For humour I like the older (80s ,British 90s stuff, Married With Children and early South Park/Family guy.

Well executed toilet humor, subtle Blackadder, or ridiculess like MWC or Red Dwarf.
Define "subtle" Blackadder. I found some of that show funny, while other aspects of it were just plain disgusting.

Define "subtle" Blackadder. I found some of that show funny, while other aspects of it were just plain disgusting.

You may not get some if the jokes without a knowledge of history or 1980s British culture.

It's like watching The New Statesmen now. It's basically dumping all over Thatcher. But it's going to offend modern sensibilities.

Or try Blazing Saddles, it's on Netflix from 1974. It's satire but they drop the N word over a dozen times in the first 5 or 10 minutes. It's brilliant but it's very very offensive now.

Written by a Jew and an African American but it's gonna upset SJW types.

Al Bundy I'd also great but MWC is very over the top. Even in 1989 we knew he was a sexist pig but that's what made it funny.

Mel Brooks is God... But apparently Richard Prior was considered for the role of Sheriff Bart. I'm kind of glad Cleavon Little got it, I dont think Prior would have pulled it off as well. Comedic actors > comedians in those lead roles.

Mel Brooks is a god. History of the World.

They lied to me about the end though. Still waiting for Jews in Space.

You may not get some if the jokes without a knowledge of history or 1980s British culture.
I'll admit that I got more of the first series jokes after reading up on early Tudor history. There was still a lot of unfunny, crude stuff in them.

Even though it's dated now and requires knowledge of Canadian politics in the '70s, I still prefer Wayne & Shuster.

I'll admit that I got more of the first series jokes after reading up on early Tudor history. There was still a lot of unfunny, crude stuff in them.

Even though it's dated now and requires knowledge of Canadian politics in the '70s, I still prefer Wayne & Shuster.

British comedy is way more explicit than American.

America spits out safe family friendly stuff.

Britain makes things like Bottom, New Statesman, Blackadder.

And the Inbetweeners. America does decent animated stuff and stand up. Not a big fan of stand up but sometimes watch it

British comedy is way more explicit than American.

America spits out safe family friendly stuff.

Britain makes things like Bottom, New Statesman, Blackadder.

And the Inbetweeners. America does decent animated stuff and stand up. Not a big fan of stand up but sometimes watch it
I'm not American. Yes, there is a definite difference between American humor and Canadian humor. I don't actually get most American humor and am baffled why people find it funny. It just seems crude and vulgar.

Top Bottom