1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Quintillus, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

Happy to help if I can :)

TBF it sounds like a re-install was probably a better idea than fixing reported problems as they came up and as determined from the error messages. That could have been a long-winded approach if the install was corrupted somehow.

Cheers -Ade.

2. Kirejara

Kirejara King

First I had some missing DLLs. After searching and downloading them, I received another error-message.

Then I had made no further attempt and deleted the tool.

EDIT: Sorry, my fault. I just looked into the C3MT-Thread and found the solution. I have to run the setup program with WinXP compatiblity under "Eigenschaften". It is working now. :blush:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

Frankly that's great news :)

You post a question; look into it a little further in order to clarify the problem for someone (me) who shows some interest; and come up with the answer and everything works fine.

As an added bonus you even post the solution so others further down get the benefit. Sounds perfect ;-)

-Ade.

4. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown

Anyone have problems saving? I keep getting the Phantom resource message when I click save, then nothing. Autosave feature gives me an error popup every few minutes or so.

5. Stew Pid

Stew Pid Chieftain

Yes, same here, I believe it has something to do with two or more resources overwriting each other's .

bug.PNG

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

In my eyes this great editor worked very well with signalising the occurence of the phantom resources bug (as it is shown in Stew Pid´s screenshot, too) :clap:. For me the editor with this function detected a phantom resources bug in RAR (that was included in RARR, too) and that nobody had detected in more than ten years in one of the most popular mods of Civ 3 :crazyeye:, triggered by the luxury resource 'Natives' in RAR.

Here is a screenshot showing the detection of a phantom resources bug in RAR 1.02 by this wonderful editor - and the bug was really there. :thumbsup: Now in the next version of the RARR biq, this bug is fixed.

Stew Pid, the phantom resources bug adds an additional strat./lux. resource to your cities without needing a connection to that resource. When developing SOE about 15 years ago, this nasty bug was not known and crashed the complete great original concept of that scenario. In the first posts at CFC, this bug was also named 'resource overflow bug', but the name 'phantom resources bug' in my eyes here is fitting much better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  7. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

Wow, all these years I had thought it was intentional by the creators to allow 1 or more civs to build the Barbarian Raider unit. :blush:

8. Bungus

Yeah, I never noticed it either. Mine was with saltpeter and mustangs (think its a typical second horsie resource for adding to the americas in epic mods at this point, req some late mid age tech. Guess cause everyone has saltpeter by the time they colonize it was never noticable. Odd, never got 'stangs when connected to saltpeter, but I dont fully understand how the bug manifests itself)

Quint is industriously updating a version with the ability to disable the warning. I've read on its wiki the elExpanded Editor allows the reordering of items, that may be an option for actually rectifying the bug itself.

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Version 1.30

Version 1.30 is now available! There are two features in this version:

• You can now disable checking for the Phantom Resource Bug and Infinite Unit Upgrades in the Settings area
    • An experimental Histograph for SAV files has been added to the editor

The first item covers the topic being discussed above. Note that both checks are still on by default, but you may now toggle them off. For the Phantom Resource Bug, this may be handy if you want to do a quick update to a scenario that has the bug, and fixing it would be too onerous (although it's still advisable to fix it before releasing the mod). I haven't thought of a case where upgrading the Infinite Unit Upgrade check would be useful, as having such upgrades results in infinite AI turn times, but the option is now there should you find a use for it.

The second item is more esoteric. I've been gradually adding code to read SAVs, but due to a combination of reasons (mainly competition for time, and that I have about fifty times as many games competing with Civ3 for my attention now as I did last decade) it's been going slowly. Thinking back, one thing that allowed both this editor and Steph's to come into being was releasing features as they were finished, and getting feedback on them - for example, version 0.50 of this editor did not support viewing the map, much less editing it. So in that spirit, I decided to add something fun from what I could already read:

Spoiler New Histograph :

This is a Power histograph from year 1959 of my Conquest of the World game. As you can tell, I was doing fairly well by then. But it also illustrates that, while in the squashed-column view of Civ3's histograph, it would look like America was losing power, in reality their power was fairly even over the past couple dozen turns.

In addition to Power, Score and Culture histographs are supported. You can also hide civilizations by clicking their name in the legend, and un-hide them by clicking their name again - making it easier to see how everyone else was doing, in this case. The Y axis will automatically adjust its height when the civilization with the highest score/power/culture is removed, to make it easier to see how everyone else is doing.

There are a couple caveats to note. One is that not all saves will be openable yet, due to the incomplete nature of SAV reading. The menu option ("File -> Open SAV") has thus been labeled Experimental. It will, however, inform you whether it succeeded or not, and update the title bar with the SAV's name if it is successful. The other is that in late-game histographs with many civs, it may take a few seconds for the histograph to appear, even on decently fast computers. I probably need to optimize it a bit, as right now it could be plotting up to 15,000 points (500 turns into a 30-civ game). But compared to an AI turn time in such a game, it will still be fairly quick.

10. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Quintillus... Great Additions. The New Histograph Looks Excellent and will be Fun to use :clap:

11. Bungus

Cool. More in depth analysis. Now I've got to actually play a game

Guessing you were running as Greece in this one?

12. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Good to hear, and thanks!

That's the challenge, fitting in playtime for an actual game!

I was indeed Greece in that one. That game was my first big CivFanatics endeavour, which I wrote up in this thread. It went well enough that I decided to stick around here for a bit.

Adrain likes this.
  13. Bungus

Well, I think I'm approaching the play stage with my own endeavours. Will probably step back and take a few days off before starting an actually game. Here 17(?) years post release with so much additional content and utilities available, after every debug run through I find there's always 'one more thing' to add or adjust (currently still trying to get AI to prioritize courthouses in its new satelite cities- shame the 'add x building in every' improv ability is hard coded to GW's only)(or maybe some additional perk to improve expansionist trait).. or maybe drop another polytheistic cattle next to moscow..