Cultivating a dose of Anglophilia!

exactly right captain pigswill.
That's why I like to have buddhism, confucianism and taoism amongst my religions ;).
It's pretty rare that I get no copper!

Anyway, mutineer is right about the stone, it's good to have.
Is it more important than securing land to the south?
I'm not sure. It depends on the global strat you wish to pursue.
Remember that $rushing doesn't take bonus resource into account.
So if you plan to $rush the cathedrals, the stone is really only good for wonders, and not the most desirable ones (notre dame is good, but it's really expensive, ankor wat is giving prophets so beware, chicken pizza is not good).

to Kmad
yes, I settled on the dye. There is no optimal spot to settle on (too many hills and ocean) for a great cottage city, but I guessed capital + gold/cow/wheat/clam would be great and this one would get the GAs.
I won't tell you how it turned out.
And yes, I aimed for the exact same city spot you settled on in the first round. Didn't get it though.
I tried to culture flip it, but against creative augustus, it just never happened.

So 7 religions: 3 copper, 2 marble, 2 stone.

i shouldn't try to do math at 1 am *giggle*. 7 can't be 2+2+2, silly me.

Kmad: If there is a tie for first place then you as returning officer get the casting vote.It doesn't happen very often but its an awesome responsibility ;) .

i would announce that i'm accepting bribes, except:
- i can't think of things that would actually be good bribes, since we only know each other in the virtual world, and
- i want to win the game, so i hope the votes do end up selecting winnable rounds and not just the best briber *giggle*.

I believe, may be wrongly, that flattery is an universal bribe for woman and should work under any conditions.

On other hand if, if one won he has to do duty and can not play the game.
Hmm... may be one should reasses how one should play his turns? :)

I believe, may be wrongly, that flattery is an universal bribe for woman and should work under any conditions.

On other hand if, if one won he has to do duty and can not play the game.
Hmm... may be one should reasses how one should play his turns? :)
You can still play the game, you just won't be selected.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery , *giggle* , but I wouldn't try to imitate *giggle* KMad *giggle**giggle*

Öjevind,

By all means cast your votes, but they need not be tallied until the weekend. Again, if the roster wants to discuss these further - e.g. better to war vs. peaceful expansion vs. developmental focus vs. 'whatever' - then that would be great.

Perhaps it won't be completly over the top if I discuss my save. There are three Angry citizens in London, but the population is 9 - whip a granary, wait a bit, then whip a barracks, wait a bit until it's possible and then whip a temple, build the Parthenon inbetween and afterwards, and let some other city build the Oracle - that would be my strategy. The fourth city can be built on the promontory to the east of London without stealing land from either London and Nottingham. The gold should fix the last angry citizen in Lodnon. With one irrigatable tile, one grassland hill tile and one forest tile, there should be sufficient food in such a city, especially if one researches Sailing a little later and gets the ability to build a lighthouse. (Who knows - one day it might even be possible to build the Colossus there. That's a pretty cheap wonder, and very useful if you have several coastal cities.) And inbetween, it's good for the gold mine. Meanwhile, it could be useful for building military units and workers while other cities erect buidlings.

Öjevind Lång;5559120 said:
Perhaps it won't be completly over the top if I discuss my save. There are three Angry citizens in London, but the population is 9 - whip a granary, wait a bit, then whip a barracks, wait a bit until it's possible and then whip a temple, build the Parthenon inbetween and afterwards, and let some other city build the Oracle - that would be my strategy. The fourth city can be built on the promontory to the east of London without stealing land from either London and Nottingham. The gold should fix the last angry citizen in Lodnon. With one irrigatable tile, one grassland hill tile and one forest tile, there should be sufficient food in such a city, especially if one researches Sailing a little later and gets the ability to build a lighthouse. (Who knows - one day it might even be possible to build the Colossus there. That's a pretty cheap wonder, and very useful if you have several coastal cities.) And inbetween, it's good for the gold mine. Meanwhile, it could be useful for building military units and workers while other cities erect buidlings.
it's better to just whip the temple.
3 whips in a row would be very painful, for very little gain.

"Buddhism founded in 1920BC. Wonder if anyone realised (I didn't) that it wasn't out and grabbed it." i did point that out in my report *giggle*. well it's good to know that everybody reviews the report before they open the report to save :rolleyes:

:blush: Well, I, um, sorta did read it and kinda missed that bit :blush:

*gigglefet*.

Gesundheit!

i just sat here going "what is up with this guy?" and then i reread "I traded off the from lack of fresh water versus the from lack of a Harbor (Compass). Nottingham shouldn't be working the water tiles post-Iron Working anyway for much of the game, so I'm not that concerned about the food," and realized you just have 180 degree different plans for this city. since you're not concerned about the food, and to me a major part of the beauty of it is the food. i'm not concerned about it, i'm overjoyed about it *giggle*. so i guess i shouldn't call :smoke:, i should ask you to explain to me your thoughts.

I wouldn't have guessed this was such a controversial move! First Cabert - now KMad! :lol: I hope it's clear - it's all about :commerce: haul - not a :gp:-farm - that's York's job ... probably.

I wouldn't have guessed this was such a controversial move! First Cabert - now KMad! :lol: I hope it's clear - it's all about :commerce: haul - not a :gp:-farm - that's York's job ... probably.

i'm a permanoob, it's not obvious to me. besides the permanoob, add that now i look at it and go "but it was supposed to have a lighthouse!" so my bias gets in the way. you never guessed it would be that controversial. i knew some people would hesitate to setttle on a dye tile but all the other options seem so much worse-r to me *giggle*. i guess i'd have to see it grow up to know what you mean. i'm sure it'll turn out nice. it just has so many hills, and only 4(?) tiles that aren't dyes/hills/water i think.

i noticed something else looking at your save just now. of course our scholars do not know if rome has discovered the secrets of ironworking or not yet. however, our holy vision at Cumae does reveal that roman workers know how to place mines on certain flat desert tiles even if they do not appear to hold any resources that we can see. i heard a rumor it's easier to fight rome if rome has no iron, so i think that's bad news?

Rome having praetorians is not such bad news if we can persuade them to ally with us against GW.

OK ... upon re-reading it is a bit confusing ... it wasn't the conversion to Buddhism but rather the founding of Buddhism or the non-conversion to Hinduism as the state religion that has led to York's first border expansion. (Report has been edited).

Yes - :) is a benefit, as would be the 'likely' shortened Anarchy upon a decision to move out of Paganism to Organised Religion / Theocracy / Pacifism.

This of course may be all a moot point, as we're not sure which game we will be going with ... ???

yes we are indeed still unsure which save we are going with. i have some votes but not all, and actually haven't even added those up. i do know that there isn't one person with majority of top spots, it's an interesting spread, which is fun ;).

i was just posting my usual ramblings, in this case to point out that we get some culture benefits from not having a state religion, for those that didn't know. i saw people forget that even in the RB cultural extermination series, thinking they'd get more culture after they figured out how to use free religion, not realizing that NSR gives you the same deal. even if you use OR to make missionaries without monasteries *giggle*.

but at first your or confused me more :lol:. then i got it ... you meant that because i hadn't picked a state religion, buddhism was getting us 5 cpt there right away. and yes, that is indeed part of why i don't typically convert at first, and didn't in our original round. we didn't need happy at that point, so why go through anarchy with no purpose. the only positive would be that only one city would go thru anarchy; the negatives included losing that potential multi-religion-culture benefit and picking up negatives if our neighbors considered us heathen ;). which they indeed do in some of the versions... oh how very much i'm going to miss being spiritual during this game!

Tried pming my votes. Crashed out of the internet. My ISP is not Providing a decent Internet Service; their help desk appears non-existent.

ojevind, about your proposed fourth city:
Spoiler :

"The fourth city can be built on the promontory to the east of London without stealing land from either London and Nottingham. The gold should fix the last angry citizen in Lodnon. With one irrigatable tile, one grassland hill tile and one forest tile, there should be sufficient food in such a city, especially if one researches Sailing a little later and gets the ability to build a lighthouse. (Who knows - one day it might even be possible to build the Colossus there. That's a pretty cheap wonder, and very useful if you have several coastal cities.) And inbetween, it's good for the gold mine. Meanwhile, it could be useful for building military units and workers while other cities erect buidlings."
if you mean right here where i have the ?

that city won't be any good, unless there's seafood out in the fog. none of the tiles can give us more than two food before biology no matter what we do, and the gold tile will give us zero while we're working it. so any turn we're working the gold, the city isn't growing. and the only purpose of the gold would be to work it, we don't need it as a resource for happiness since we already have one. we could move it to one south of the gold if there's no seafood, so that it could at least work the grassland that london can't use at the diagonal, but i don't think it's worth making a city there at this point. right now, i think we need to try to push our territory out a bit more. carefully of course, we don't want to leave ourselves sprawled out and defenseless, but if we pack all of our cities within 5 tiles of london we'll have nowhere to go except through the bad guys come 200 BC, and that's not ideal IMO. !!

I think you are correct about the city for the present, so on thinking it over, I'd settle my fourth city somewhere further south. I still think a good city could be founded in my suggested spot later on.

pigswill your vote has arrived now. sorry to hear about your stupid ISP.

in fact all of the votes have now arrived. we were one vote away from a tie but i did not actually have to step in with my awesome tie-breaking abilities because of the one point. it seems we are destined to carry on in a world where i should have been a little more careful what i asked for *giggle* ...

we're going with Ozbenno's save. you can find it in post #97 if you need to download it again.

note to self: when in SGs with people you haven't played with before, they might not know that when you say "looks like he [Gus] made the other city, if one of y'all wants to like, kill him with axes for me or something i'd love to have it too" that you kinda sorta want gus to be "really most sincerely dead" in the wicked witch of the east sense so that he's not mad at you when it's your turn again! but, Ozbenno you did get me what i wanted ... a better version of what i wanted ... it wasn't even the buddhist holy city then :)

checking the first post, it looks like the traditional length for this round is 875BC to 125 AD, i hope that our fearless leader(s) will confirm that since i am neither fearless nor leadery.

grats ozbenno! but if gus beats me up i'm totally giving you diplo negatives buster.

ps to cabert: speaking of first posts, the first post in the 5th trash game (i spent way too much time playing SWG, i misread that as Sith a bunch of times while we were playing :lol:) thread never did get updated. our countless fans *giggle* must wonder if any of us ever made it? well okay if they were really that enthusiastic they'd check the last page, sure, but i mean, for the sake of completeness ;). plus it was my first SG ever and you remember me saying how superstitious i am and that if we lost that one i'd likely never sign up for another. but we won! well, most of us anyway. depends on which alternate universe, like everything else there.

Top Bottom