1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture (Unit + Quarter) Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Matthias Corvinus, Feb 12, 2020.

?

Who will you play first?

1. Assyrians

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Babylonians

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Egyptians

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Harappans

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Hittites

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Mycenaeans

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. Nubians

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Olmecs

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. Phoenicians

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Zhou

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  11. Random

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

2. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

I'm still annoyed I missed that when we were preparing the outro video...

Jkchart, tedhebert and Kjimmet like this.
  3. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Wait... have we seen hints that there's going to be a Siamese culture? If there are, I'm stoked for the age of Chulalongkorn!

4. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

yeah, look :
    (again from the openDev outro + a gatling elephant spotted in the same clip, and only Siamese have some rare case of that unit IIRC, I think)
    And as always, just look the CC and the EQ

(sorry Cat, to show again this terrible mistake, but like Civ, Humankind can't escape to our overanalysis of images, it's the holy role of speculation threads :mischief: )

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I was looking through the Humankid reddit, and I saw that there was this discussion on whether "European" can be a possible culture in the Modern Era. By "European" they mean the identity/self-identification that is connected to the European Union. I personally don't think it can be a possible culture in terms of how most people in the EU actually identify themselves. But I don't know, what do you guys think?

6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I was in Europe when the EU was forming (1990s), and while a lot of people were enthusiastic about the easing of travel and economic restrictions and the possibilities of doing business (and easy vacationing) all over the European (well, at the time mostly Western European) continent, I don't remember anybody identifying with either an EU 'culture' or political entity. This is based on a lot of conversations in German bars with a lot of German school teachers and college-level students who were practicing their English on me and correcting my German for me, so it was by no means a 'scientific' survey of the general population, but based on recent political events in Europe, I suspect that any meaningful identification with the EU is even less now than it was then.

7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Identify is as culturally European as a greater entity, in contrast or addition to identifying with a nationality, is very much a thing, despite more recent nationalistic trends. Especially for people below the age of 40 of which many lived a year or more in another European country at some point.
    While the EU is the cause for this to some extent, most people won’t identify culturally with the EU nonetheless.
    That said, I think the EU would be the most elegant solution for a contemporary European choice. The best other options seem to be Norway, Sweden, or Switzerland.

CivLuvah likes this.
  8. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I am aware of "European" as a marker of self-identity of course.

However this begs the question though: what can be considered a "culture" in Humankind's terms? I'm assuming the barest definition would be an obvious one (ethnicity or cultural group), in addition to self-identity, but so far we've had empires (Ottomans, Byzantines, etc), nation-states (Germans), confederations (Haudenosaunee), city-states (Venetians), dynasties (Ming, Edo, Mauryans), and peoples who don't have any obvious centralized political organization (Olmecs, Maya). At least what I see here is that in each of these entities, the majority of people at least self-identify as part of the wider group. Of course with the people like the Olmecs, we don't know what they call themselves as, but you get my point.

So with "EUropean" as a culture, I think it's easy to conceptualize (as you said it's simpler to just create a European culture for the purposes of gameplay), but in a way it's hard to see how it fits with the others, considering a large amount of people also or in contrast identify with their nation-state.

Meluhhan and Siptah like this.
  9. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Venetians are represented in their empire period, same for Germans. The Ming Empire and Maurya Empire can be considered even if a dynastic name is used.

8housesofelixir and CivLuvah like this.
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Soviets?
    Well at least the main power resides in what would be Europe.

11. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I disagree. Empire is not a concisely defined term anyways. What's an empire period? In the end, the answer is everything can be a culture if amplitude wants it to be. That's why we have a range going from empires in clearly defined borders to lose groupings like the Celts. Or we do need to wait dor the city list to see what the Ummayads really represent...

In that sense, I want an European Union Culture. But not in the modern era, which can be defined as 1920 to 2020. I want an expansion pack / toggleable DLC that adds a bit of sci-fi aesthetic and comes with appropriate cultures based on this year 2021 and a bit of projection. And in that series, a single European Culture fits best, maybe add a clown solo Brexit Culture as well. ;-)

(because it's easier to add an era at the end than one in the middle like the late antiquity we all want. :))

Meluhhan and Siptah like this.
  12. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

My point was just than so far we get a lot more of empires, and than some of CivLucah exemples given as exceptions, were empires too and not exceptions.

By the way, even if it depend of the period and the definition :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurya_Empire (Amplitude quote : The Mauryan dynasty was the first to connect the Indian subcontinents. Some of the Mauryan structures left behind are still regarded as symbols of Indian unity.)
    "The Mauryan structures left behind" are the Stupas (EQ) of Ashoka, before the decline of the Empire.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_dynasty (leaded by the emperor, ... the empire's standing army... )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Empire (militarist, U-boat, WW1)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_Caliphate (Amplitude quote : Ruling the Islamic Empire then the Caliphate of Córdoba, Umayyad Caliphs gave their scientists and philosophers access to some of the largest libraries of their time.)

But please, it's simply the trope of 4X games, we always play as Empires, even for the exceptions ( which were not empires IIRC, like Celts). Or another good exception is Edo Japanese.

An European Union culture could be well designed imo, but the debate about european identity is too fresh and polemical. + It kill the possibility to have proper representations of some european cultures which have more chance to appear in modern :
    Italy or Finland for exemple.

yes, Soviet is one of my big expectation for Modern Era.

--------

So, today, we will get our Brits ? :mischief:
    A ship as EU, a steam ship ? An infantry, Highlander ?
    Something about Royal Society for the EQ ? Or Botanical Gardens ?
    Victorian architecture ? Red Brick architecture ? Metallic / Industrial architecture ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Meluhhan and 8housesofelixir like this.
  13. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

As a pro EU inhabitant of very pro EU country (Poland*), I think "European culture" is a terrible idea :p

I think British will be Merchant, because what other culture fits this affinity in this era more? Great Britain was the place where modern capitalism was born.

* - don't ask me how it is possible that 80% of population loves EU and simultaneously the governing party is one of the biggest headaches of EU

8housesofelixir and Narcisse like this.
  14. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Despite me not wanting* to have a European culture in the game, I would actually prefer that to an EU culture in the base game.

*I would have written "skeptic" but that someone might insinuate that I am a Eurosceptic, which I'm not haha

mitsho likes this.
  15. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm kind of expecting a Redcoat because what's more emblematic than that?
    Highlander would be interesting though.

That's a good point. I thought about the possibility of the Siamese being Merchant too.
    I'm thinking Expansionist though because of the "Sun Never Sets" on the British Empire though.

16. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

IIRC Redcoat was a name given to most of the british regiments. Even the Fraser's Highlanders were encompassed in the Red Coat thing (wikipedia sorry :mischief:)
    Obviously, it's a little is similar to Conquistadores, it's iconic even if you can consider a lot of different infantry/cavalry being Conquistadores/Red Coat.
    But the problem of Red Coat, it's than it don't really work well with the color choices héhé. They look less emblematic as Pink Coat, or Green Lime Coat. (bad argument I know)
    Still, I feel it will be a ship. Germans need a ship to sink with their U-boat :p

They could be Merchant, Scientist, Expansionist or Builder

17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

This phrase was coined as reference to the empire of Charles V. however, and the Spanish are already as expansionist in the game.

As said earlier, I hope for scientific British, but I think we'll see expansionist nonetheless, hopefully with a scientific EQ or ability. I would prefer a naval EU for the British tbh, seems the best way to bring their dominance over the waves into the game.

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

I mean a Highlander unit wearing a redcoat and kilt would feel very British.

True there's nothing wrong with British being Scientific either but I'm going off the fact that they took the "Sun Never Sets" idea and was able to expand even more than the Spanish did. If Sweden gets in though I do think they will be Scientific.

I do thing a Royal Society EQ would be cool though.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  19. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

So who do you think will be next? What's next in the alphabet of 19th-century powers?

20. dart_nimus

dart_nimus Chieftain

Ethiopia in Industrial era is perfect (if that culture will be in game at all ).
    If not, then France should be next?