1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture (Unit + Quarter) Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Matthias Corvinus, Feb 12, 2020.

?

Who will you play first?

1. Assyrians

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Babylonians

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Egyptians

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Harappans

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Hittites

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Mycenaeans

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Nubians

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. Olmecs

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  9. Phoenicians

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. Zhou

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  11. Random

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

My bet on French, EU : Revolutionaries, Marianne Gang, EQ : Hôtel Particulier, Les Halles (of Paris by Baltard), Botanical Garden (of Paris), ... ?

Opera Garnier was one of my main idea, really interesting building, but Austro-Hungarian already have an Opera, and one of generic industrial quarter of european cities is an Opera Garnier lookalike.
    Sainte-Geneviève library is really interesting, but the outside appareance don't reveal so much about the metallic architecture inside.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. ZarduStar

ZarduStar Chieftain

I assume the French will have the Builder affinity mostly because I can't see anyone else getting it (Meiji?). I also have no idea who would get the Merchant affinity. Maybe they will skip an affinity again?

j51 and 8housesofelixir like this.
  3. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Either Comanche (a very outside chance, but still possible), Ethiopians, or French.

4. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Siamese could be the Merchant. For French, they could be a lot of things. I expect the Russian being the Scientist, so, French will maybe be Builder, Aesthete or Militarist imo.

5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Imperial Russia as Scientists? That feels very odd. I would bet on expansionist due to the rapid push eastwards.

6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Aren't the Swedish supposed to be in this Era? I'm sure they would be the Scientist. I agree that France might be Builder or Aesthete and we will find out on Tuesday.

What are the chances that the Militarist Zulus will appear? :mischief:

8housesofelixir, j51 and ZarduStar like this.
  7. ZarduStar

ZarduStar Chieftain

My personal predictions are that the Swedes will be Scientist and the Russians will be Expansionist. If Ethiopia is revealed next week, I expect them to be Aesthete. That leaves Builder for the French as I also expect the Militarist affinity to be given to the Germans and Zulu.

8. Alexander's Hetaroi

I can see them saving Ethiopia for the Contemporary Era since you would have to put the Zulu here, unless they decide to do two African cultures in Industrial after leaving them out of Early Modern.

9. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

oh yes I forgot the Swedes, so Swedes Scientist, and Russian expansionist. :mischief:
    I really hope than if Ethiopia is not revealed tuesday, they will not be modern. I really prefer to have them in pre-modern era later as dlc (?). And having some other African cultures for modern era.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  10. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'm expecting the Germans to show up next week. Is there any other possible Industrial era candidates?

11. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Nah, the list now seems quite clear: The Germans are next. Unless they need a new culture card, since the current one screams militaristic and they decided to change that up. Or unless Germany is actually named Prussia and thus comes later. But I don't really expect that.

The complete list for Industrial now seems to be:

Austro-Hungarians (aesthete)
    British (expansionist)
    French (scientific)
    Germans (militaristic?)
    Iranians (merchant? aesthete?)
    Mexicans (agrarian?)
    Russians (expansionist? agrarian?)
    Siamese (builder? merchant? aesthete?)
    Swedish (scientist? builder?)
    Zulu (militaristic?)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  12. Alexander's Hetaroi

I agree unless they decide to throw in Meiji Japan over Iranians being builder. What are the chances that Germans are builder reflecting their rapid growth of industry in the late 1800s to early 1900s?

CivLuvah and 8housesofelixir like this.
  13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Builders would fit the Germans very well: Precision in Engineering, the whole Ruhr Valley, etc. But their culture card just doesn't support that. So unless the card has been changed? It would feel strange to have the Industrial era miss out on builders as an affinity though. However, builder affinity doesn't really fit with any of the other candidates - even Meij Japan could be a stretch, no?

j51, Siptah and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  14. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

If the list above will be the final culture list we have for the industrial era - which means no Meiji Japan - then a Taisho Japan could fit the builder theme.

On the other hand, if we do get Siam in this era, the Chulalongkorn Reforms can be considered as a replacement of Meiji Restoration in the game in term of the "modernization" theme, so there is a possibility that whatever the trait the Meiji Japan could fit - builder, for instance - might be passed to Siam.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I would want a Chulalongkorn Siam to feature in the game, since that era of history hasn't been represented in 4X games yet. Outside of Thailand (or more broadly South-East Asia), not many people know that the country underwent a path of Westernization similar to Japan to avoid being eaten up by colonial powers.

Speaking of Japan, I would like to see a modern merchant Japanese, since they reached their economic height during the 70s and 80s.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Well considering we saw an emblematic unit that was an elephant with a mounted cannon on it I'm pretty sure the Siamese will be in this era.

I'd expect a Modern Japan to be Aesthete, but if Modern (South) Korea is in I can see them becoming Aesthete so then Japan could be merchant.

17. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I mean, it can be the other way around. Like I said Japan was an economic juggernaut, but starting from the 1980s onwards Japan's cultural exports skyrocketed, even during the post-bubble era. South Korea's cultural exports only became more prominent starting around the 2000s (I know because the Philippines was one of the first countries to be exposed to the Korean Wave). But it was also during this time when South Korea also experienced its economic rise, the so-called Miracle on the Han River. Their economy has risen so much that they're now on par with Japan in terms of the presence of their consumer product exports.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  18. Meluhhan

Meluhhan Warlord

Isn't the Elephant mounted cannon the Mughal emblematic unit? Though I concur with you about Siam's appearance considering that one of the screenshots from the Open Dev outro featured an Emblematic Quarter that was almost certainly a floating market, (albeit, mistakenly placed on a land tile).

I also imagine that industrial Russians can be aesthete given their iconic operas, ballets, architecture and great writers from that period.

19. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

There is an Elephant Unit with a gatling gun (a Colt Model 1883 lookalike) in openDev outro too. And Siam is one of the rare to have a picture of this "singular" sort of war elephant in 1875, with a Vickers machinegun.

Could be interesting to have aesthete Russian, instead of expected (for me) expansionist

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

I forgot the mounted cannon was on the Mughal EU. I just remember there was another Elephant unit with something mounted on it and it appears to be a Gatling gun instead.