1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture (Unit + Quarter) Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Matthias Corvinus, Feb 12, 2020.

?

Who will you play first?

1. Assyrians

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Babylonians

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Egyptians

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Harappans

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Hittites

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Mycenaeans

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. Nubians

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Olmecs

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. Phoenicians

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Zhou

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  11. Random

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Contemporary "worthy" African cultures: Algeria, Libya - but of course they are not sub-saharan (in that regard, Egypt and Morocco I would see more as Industrial cultures). From Subsaharan Africa: Kenya, Senegal, Madagascar, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire can be worth it as well, while Zimbabwe, Congo, Uganda/Rwanda would be very emblematic as well. But I do agree that Nigeria and South Africa would be in the prime spots for inclusion.

However, I'd rather keep the Republic of South Africa back for my imaginary "contemporary/future" era based on 2020. Because I doubt they'd want to include the Apartheid State... Having an industrial era Boer culture in a DLC yes, that could depict history nicely by transcending once (through modern) and then into the "freed" South African (contemporary) culture).

So I just wanted to repeat my idea once again ;)

Siptah and Meluhhan like this.
  2. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Modern Egypt could be really interesting for north Africa. And I hope to see Marroco in EM one day.

3. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Kenya and Ghana would work very nice as well. But the latter is impossible because of medieval Ghanaians : P

Egypt could also sort of work in the industrial era. The only problem is, well, name. That's why I think medieval Islamic Egypt is more likely - dynasties circumvent the naming problem.

Narcisse and j51 like this.
  4. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

About modern Egypt : Misr or renaming ancient Egyptian with a dynasty maybe ? is Arab Egyptian weird ? but yes, it will not happen at launch anyway, I think.
    About Ghana : Yes I continue to think than Wagadu was less confusing than Ghana which is not directly related to modern Ghana.

Your bets for today gentlemen ?

For me the spotted EQ looks like a Caravanserail (kârvânsarâ or khan) : it fit well with an eventual Aesthete Iranian : it was not only a rest place for caravan traders, but for pilgrims, travellers and many foreigners too.
    So, ideas circulated and were exchanged in these places, not only money, goods and camels^^

Zamburak is an interesting possibility for the EU :
    - A second Camel unit.
    - A reference to Nader Shah campaigns (important leader, fall in the start of industrial era, and deserve a mention imo). And his campaigns are apparently the most famous exemple of effecient usages of zamburak
    - Liberating the dev team of the pressure of reading Zamburak being suggested each time there is a culture of this geographical zone (Afghan, Pachtoun, Timurid, Safavid Persia, etc etc ...)

For the culture card and quotes : Qadjar vibes.

5. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Ancient Egypt had no dynasty names, you'd have to name it like "New Kingdom" and that is damn strange.
    But Arab Egyptian is imho the excellent solution for the modern era.

The only problem would be, well, modern Egypt is not very impressive country (with all due respect). That's why I think medieval Islamic Egyptian dynasties are more likely: Fatimids, Mamluks, Ayyubids (the Egypt of Saladin) etc. They were top tier civilizations on the global stage.

To be honest I'd also really like classical era Ptolemaic culture :p

6. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

oh yes I am a big fan of the idea to get : Mamluk Sultanat OR Ayyubids. More Mamluk honestly, I really like their history and imagery, they are really important for islamic world. But personnaly I always like the idea of post-colonial egypt archetype (Nasser, Suez, post Brits). For me it's one of the most interesting one of this geographical area.
    Morroco make more sense for me in Early Modern for exemple. But I understand than modern Egypt is not "a priority"

Oh yes they will be called Iranian, almost 100% sure on that. And if I'm wrong, it's the game of speculation^^

Meluhhan and Siptah like this.
  7. Gwydden

Gwydden Chieftain

Just call it Kemet! Which will never happen, but it would be cool.

Meluhhan, Kjimmet, Jkchart and 3 others like this.
  8. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

SO ! Rip industrial Swedes ? or industrial Iranian (Qajar) ? There is always an islamic architecture in industrial ! (from OpenDev outro)
    Or Zulu ? there is no screenshot of anything of them, as Swedes

9. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

So far, there is 2 Aesthetes, 1 Expansionist, 1 Scientist, and 1 Militarist in Industrial Era so far. I wonder who will be the Merchant, Agrarian and Builder factions.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  10. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

My guess for Merchant was British, for Agrarian Brazilian and for Builder - French or German. Which means I have failed completely. :p
    Agrarian may go to Mexico, Builder may go to Iran or Siam, but I have completely no idea who is supposed to be Merchant this time. Maybe we'll once again get an era without a certain affinity (like medieval with Aestethe).

By the way, who do you think would be good Aestethe culture for the medieval era? My first guess would be Byzantium or some Islamic civ, which didn't happen.

11. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Maybe Heian Japanese? Or Goryeo Korean? Even Tang Chinese could work.

12. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I suddenly have a crazy thought about an Industrial Era, Merchant & Islamic culture: Omani Empire under Said bin Sultan. Or just the Zanzibar Sultanate.

13. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Interesting ! I will check their architectures like I done for Pachtounes, Afghans, etc ... Maybe it's not an Ali Qapu Palace lookalike. But for the moment, it the only valid hint we got. I will check later.

Sweden have a really valid history for Early Modern era (economical independance from the hanseatic league, conquests, Gustavus Adolphus, birth of a strong nation, some slap to some european superpowers), industrial (established european superpower, northern wars, the Karl's, Karoliner, napoleonic wars, great progress in science and architecture) ... and in modern they are really valid too... (with multiple references, from WWII to the end of the era)

The "saddest" theory would be than it's not the Swedes being modern, but the Zulu are not in, the hints about them are really small.

14. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I'd actually be okay with no Zulu. They are a stereotype and probably better represented as a minor culture. There are other African options generally. Also, it would make the Zulu even more of a Firaxis meme of which everyone else would say: "Why?"

Having written that they will now be obviously in and I'm looking like an idiot for having written that :)

Why? What's the problem with Egypt or Egyptians? Why can't we have a name twice?

I do agree that we both need the Mamluks or Ayyubids AND the post-colonial Nasser type. Though they do have other options for the latter that avoid repeating the name (which I again see no problem with): Libya, Syria, Iraq.

---

And lastly, really surprised by the Italians: seems like the Industrial era will be really really Europe heavy.

15. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I assume that means Contemporary will be non-European heavy.

mitsho likes this.
  16. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Yeah, I mentioned Oman/Zanzibar before. It seemed Iran was more likely, but now I'm thinking not.

Are we certain Mexico is industrial or contemporary? I can't remember?

I'm having a hard time thinking of a builder for the industrial.

Contemporary is going to have some surprising choices I'd bet. Outside of Soviets, USA, PRC, Japan, and Brazil I really have no idea. Maybe Canada, Australia, and/or India, but who else? Is Sweden going to be the other contempo Euro besides the Soviets instead of Industrial? Are they going to pick cultures based not on how important they are now, but could possibly be in the near future?

Honestly Industrial and Contemporary should have been one single Modern Era. (I know I'm contradicting myself re units - I'm ok with that :lol:.) They're too brief and the cultures overlap too much. Instead, as many of us have said before, a Post-Classical/Late Antique era should have been put between Classical and Middle. That would have given them a wider and tastier choice of cultures to work from while still keeping it in 6 eras.

17. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Iran is still possible, as Qajar Persian for exemple. If there is not better proposition for the City Center than Ali Qapu palace, I can't expect something else for the moment.

We are not certain than it's Mexico, but there is a screenshot from openDev outro with an industrial South-American culture. And a sort of sombrero revolutionary in the background of an artwork.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'd say Ethiopia has a chance of appearing or at least some modern African nation.
    Also maybe Korea, as opposed to Early Modern Joseon Korea, or Vietnam as well.

19. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

It's a Safavid palace though, no? So we've already breezed past it's era. Who knows what they intend with it.

I agree that it's almost certainly Mexico. I was wondering if we're certain that the screen shot is of an Industrial and not a Contempo culture, but thinking back on it, the generic buildings do point more to industrial vibe.

Yeah, although I'd think Industrial is better for Ethiopia as that's when they were triumphant. Whereas post-war, things haven't been as good (music excluded). I'd say South Africa would make the most sense for a Contempo African culture.

Korea works. It'd be kinda funny if they smooshed most of their East Asians choices into two Eras. I guess it would rhyme the Franks/English/Teuton French/British/Germans alternating era smoosh though. Which is also kinda funny. I'd have skipped the Teutons, moved the English to Early Modern, and pushed the Germans (and Italians) to the last era.

mitsho likes this.
  20. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

no, a part of the palace was done by Safavids, but it was extended and modified later in the aesthetic we know today and which fit with the CC. Anyway, "Iranian" seems to have been soft-confirmed by a dev on discord apparently, if it is not misinterpreted.
    Or it's another culture like Oman, but I didn't find any architecture which really match.

All the 4 variants of the same city (Siam, "Mexico", Russia," ran") was confirmed as industrial. We never saw any shots of modern cities