Custom Leaderhead Development Thread

In my opinion, Don't make them speak!, even if you can! The reason I say this is that if the leaderhead speaks, then we're forced to use that (or remove the sound, and then he's just mouthing to the air). Many different modders probably want many different uses for each leaderhead, and making them speak English would defeat that purpose (Example: Hi! I'm King Arthur from England) but...I'm using you as a leaderhead for my...uh...German civilization.

It's a fair point. The initial version will definitely not have speech anyway because it'll be a fair bit of additional work. So there could always be two versions - one basic leader without speech, and one full-on King Alfred of the Anglo-Saxons civ mod with speech (if I can get non-awful sounding voices :D)

Good idea about the two versions... then I can abduct King Alfred and brain-wash him to become Dom Manuel I of Portugal ;)

I think having them speak adds an extra bit of professional polish to the mod (although finding someone to speak Old English, even Nebuchadnezzar style will be impressive). Having both would be nice if not too difficult.

Oh, and I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but, Deliverator, awesome Zulus :D

You could put out a call for auditions on the forum.

Civ 5 - Sounds, really, should be a section on the forum.

It's a hard job, and it may be difficult to even approximate the games' sound quality; but that's all the more reason to highlight modders' good work. If anyone manages to create quality sounds--not just ripping audio from other games or movies--that should be highlighted on the forum.

You know when I said that I was avoiding leaders that Firaxis were likely to do themselves?

Well balls to it - I'm making Boudica:

Obv, very much work in progress. Hair a million miles away from finished, and she'll probably have some sort of funky tattoos and stuff. This is pretty bare bones, but I thought I'd share since I've gone for a look quite a long way away from what Firaxis did in Civ IV. :)

Attachments

• Boudica.jpg
    Boudica.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 757
Cannot wait for a completed version of both! Keep it up! :)

Cool. If you're interested (although it's probably based on absolutely nothing), here is Cassius Dio's description of Boudica:

In stature she was very tall, in appearance most terrifying, in the glance of her eye most fierce, and her voice was harsh; a great mass of the tawniest hair fell to her hips; around her neck was a large golden necklace; and she wore a tunic of divers colors over which a thick mantle was fastened with a brooch. This was her invariable attire."

Take that what you will. The entire point was just to make her seem terrifying. I'm sure it's literally based on absolutely nothing from historical accounts of Roman survivors.

Would be cool, if her chariot were represented. But, generally speaking, there's no "wrong answer" with how to depict her, since we don't know.

Cheers Louis - bear in mind that this model is really really unfinished - I've posted this pic a lot earlier in development than the first Alfred pic I posted, for example. Having said that, I'm not going for complete accuracy - the Alfred model is sort of a composite of a few references with a large dollop of artistic license and I'll be doing the same thing with Boudica. However, one thing you can be sure of is she probably won't end up as glamourous as this first pic by the end ;)

@Piernik: I make all my models from scratch.

@Piernik: I make all my models from scratch.
Wow - I'm impressed. Also that's ashame :). I was hoping that You could give me links to some tools that would help me make leader faster because I don't have time and can't stand that Poland isn't in the game :)

But maybe You have some tools links?

Cheers Louis - bear in mind that this model is really really unfinished - I've posted this pic a lot earlier in development than the first Alfred pic I posted, for example. Having said that, I'm not going for complete accuracy - the Alfred model is sort of a composite of a few references with a large dollop of artistic license and I'll be doing the same thing with Boudica. However, one thing you can be sure of is she probably won't end up as glamourous as this first pic by the end ;)

Lol, OK. I fully applaud artistic license here anyway. I don't think anyone has a clue what she looks like, so your interpretation is as good as any.

Nice model! I'm always amazed at what artists can do with paint, pixels, and other mediums. ;)

Fantastic models! :goodjob:
Ahhh...
Could somebody send me All LH in FBX and unpacked DDS? I realy want to make my own LH. My Nexsus 3D Viewer doesn't work (nothing can help me in this situation).

Fantastic models! :goodjob:
Ahhh...
Could somebody send me All LH in FBX and unpacked DDS? I realy want to make my own LH. My Nexsus 3D Viewer doesn't work (nothing can help me in this situation).

blender cant import fbx. only export. i just checked.

Actually according to old texts Boudica supposedly had really long red hair, wore a cloak, and a golden necklace.

Actually according to old texts Boudica supposedly had really long red hair, wore a cloak, and a golden necklace.

Who are you replying to? Me? Because I've already stated that I'm going to be using a fair amount of artistic license. I've been incorporating more elements of her historical "look" as I've been progressing with it. But I'm more interested in building something I like than something that's completely accurate.

Also, Civ IV Boudica anyone? Not exactly bang on either :lol:

Top Bottom