Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

By using cheatmode and alt+z, I changed to Mexico but all their UHV conditions were automatically failed. Is this a known flaw or did I do something wrong?

The AIs have their UHVs automatically failed to help with loading times. There might be a setting to disable that in the mod files but I'm not confident.

By using cheatmode and alt+z, I changed to Mexico but all their UHV conditions were automatically failed. Is this a known flaw or did I do something wrong?

The AIs have their UHVs automatically failed to help with loading times. There might be a setting to disable that in the mod files but I'm not confident.

All AI civs have all their UHV set to fail at the start of a game to speed up the game. Switching to newborn civs will reset the UHV for the new civ, actually re-enabling them for the human player. Switching with alt-z does not trigger this, so the UHV will remain set to failed.

In GlobalAltDefines.xml, you can set the "NO_AI_UHV_CHECKS" value to 0. This will prevent all civs automatically failing the UHV upon starting a game. But this does mean that the UHV code is executed for all civs, making the game run a bit slower.

Alternatively, you can manually reset the UHV of your new civ in the WB. Go to the StoredData manager and select Civilization Data in one of the dropdown menu in the left-center. Then select your new civ with the dropdown menu below it. In the bottom table you will find "lGoals". The the value of each UHV to -1.

When compared to before the update, does this mean that one check disables other checks in the same turn?
Or does the last check prevail over all previous ones in the turn?
No, only the first check counts and the following checks are ignored.

Everytime i try to install the new mod version through the installer the folder is nowhere to be seen. I have it in my steam game folders, yet i can't find it

During the installation process the installer should show you where it's installing to.

I also found an issue with Turkic diplo music that was caused by the Varietas Delectat module. I have fixed it in the git repo, but that doesn't help anyone using the installer. I will ultimately compile a new installer (i.e. DoC 1.16.1) and maybe also a patch, but only after I am done fixing the bugs that have been reported so far. I have addressed some critical issues already that people who aren't on git also should be able to benefit from.

The Trading Company and Silk Road are companies. Any thoughts on making the Trans-Saharan Trade and Spice Road Companies too?

Surely the spice trade is represented by the Trading Companies?

Trans-Saharan trade could be an interesting one.

Surely the spice trade is represented by the Trading Companies?

Trans-Saharan trade could be an interesting one.
I was thinking of the Spice Trade routes before the European Trading Companies, depicted in blue on this map:
1024px-Silk_route.jpg

I'm relatively new to the mod and have a question about Vassal mechanics. I am playing as Japan, trying to vassalize Southeast Asia in the early 1900s. My first target was Thailand, which was currently a French vassal. I captured the one French city in the area and then laid siege to Ayutthaya, the Thai capital. The whole time the Thai leader refused to talk. Then, when I captured the city, the Thai civilization immediately collapsed. In the Domestic Advisor "release colonies" screen there's no option relating to the Thais. Is there a way through gameplay to bring back the Thais as a vassal, or do I just have to capture the Independent cities? For stability reasons, I'd prefer to have them as vassals. Also, I didn't see any way when negotiating the French peace agreement to do anything to their relationship to the Thais. Am I missing something or going about this the wrong way?

EDIT: I captured all of the cities in Indochina and now have the option to release Ayutthaya to Independents, but that doesn't seem to be the same thing as reviving/vassalizing the Thais.

Last edited:
Let me check what the time periods are when Thailand can be released.

I'm relatively new to the mod and have a question about Vassal mechanics. I am playing as Japan, trying to vassalize Southeast Asia in the early 1900s. My first target was Thailand, which was currently a French vassal. I captured the one French city in the area and then laid siege to Ayutthaya, the Thai capital. The whole time the Thai leader refused to talk. Then, when I captured the city, the Thai civilization immediately collapsed. In the Domestic Advisor "release colonies" screen there's no option relating to the Thais. Is there a way through gameplay to bring back the Thais as a vassal, or do I just have to capture the Independent cities? For stability reasons, I'd prefer to have them as vassals. Also, I didn't see any way when negotiating the French peace agreement to do anything to their relationship to the Thais. Am I missing something or going about this the wrong way?

EDIT: I captured all of the cities in Indochina and now have the option to release Ayutthaya to Independents, but that doesn't seem to be the same thing as reviving/vassalizing the Thais.
No, it should be possible to release the Thais in principle. Can you upload the save so I can see what the situation is?

I figured it out, I just needed to wait a little bit longer in-game. The same thing happened with Korea. Granted, they weren't pleased enough to accept being vassalized after I liberated them, but it was a starting point... I ended up releasing 2 cities back to the civilization, capturing the non-capital one, then leaving the capital with one defender until they stopped refusing to talk and accepted capitulation :)

Oh right, if a civ has recently collapsed it cannot be brought back immediately.

Is there a way in general to prevent vassals (or at least, vassals of a human player) from collapsing? Not as a general principle for 1.17, but more just a cheat ability for the less serious runs.
Currently I world-builder them the turn before they collapse to put stored data turns to collapse to -1, but obviously this delays the inevitable.
I'm trying to think of another way to do so but I'm blanking. I'm imagining there's a line of python code to do it but I wouldn't know what sadly.

Maybe something to consider for Reborn/Sunset of?

What's your exact intention? Make vassals entirely immune to collapse? Human vassals only? Something else?

What's your exact intention? Make vassals entirely immune to collapse? Human vassals only? Something else?
The specific case is to prevent the common scenario when you beat someone in a war, vassal them only for them to collapse and you're forced to take a bunch of independent cities, eg when you get conquerors against Aztecs and Inca.
As discussed in this thread you can try keep them alive through some means, but it doesn't always work.
So in less serious games it would be nice to know how one can keep vassals alive, other than just stored data editing whenever they collapse.

A good place to start is "isImmune()" in Stability.py, you could add something like:
Code:
if gc.getTeam(iPlayer).isAVassal():
    return True
or
Code:
if gc.getTeam(iPlayer).isVassal(utils.getHumanID()):
    return True
to protect all vassals or only human vassals from all types of stability checks. This may have unintended consequences.

Top Bottom