Dear Firaxis...(the Civ4 comprehensive poll)

If a could change MORE THAN ONE thing in Civ4 i would: (4 choices only, please)

• Re-introduce the Wonder movies

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Change the combat system(stacks/units/battle groups choice)

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Re-introduce the High Council

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • Improve the AI (big time)

Votes: 92 64.3%
  • Introduce new Economy system

Votes: 44 30.8%
  • Introduce new Corruption system

Votes: 45 31.5%
  • Introduce religion as strategic dimension

Votes: 53 37.1%
  • Introduce Dynamic Civs(civil war/splitting/joining)

Votes: 93 65.0%
  • Introduce new geography concept(Canals/bridges)

Votes: 52 36.4%
  • Give more specific Civs(different GA powers,more traits)

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Improve Graphics /3D

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Introduce minor Civs(barbs...)

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • Introduce finished goods/new resource system

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • Introduce new movement concept(RR,highways)

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • Introduce new controls/interface

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Improve the editor (In depth AI/scripts/diplomacy...etc)

Votes: 53 37.1%
  • Have more random events (Dark ages,Armaggedon,global warming...)

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Have future eras/Introduce more ages(e.g.Classic)

Votes: 38 26.6%
  • Make units have population cost

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Use Colonization Model

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay I feel that being involved in a civilization site probably indicates that they probably play above the average level simply becuase they have been interested enough by the game to find a forum on it... Improving the AI is just such a broad topic with so many different ways of looking at it that I feel it is something many people will identify with. A lot of FPSs will boast about having superior AI...

AI is a tricky thing. Afterall, in a game where very seldom people play against human opponents, how does one program the quality of AI people would expect?

To me, the biggest and best AI improvement could be in fact within your own civilization, in terms of micromanagement and build-order. (But I voted for this as an "interface improvement")

Tranfered from the previous poll:
By beam
Quite a good summary of the key areas for improvement, I'd like to suggest one more however and that's diplomacy in general and the espionage system in particular.

I also think, improving the AI means two different things

1. Make it play better
2. Make it less predictable
3. Make the AI learn from the player

So the first one is for experienced players, the second is also for newer players.

I know some games where your opponent can be lead by different types of Ai, one is stupid, one aggressive, one a builder, one medium in everything, one unpredictable (kamikaze)...
That would also make the game more interesting in the long run, but not easy to implement, but there was a proposal to make the AI scriptable so everyone could make his own opponents or share them with others...

The 3. is to prevent that a trick doesn't function twice....but hard...

I went for these options....

Introduce Dynamic Civs(civil war/splitting/joining)

Give more specific Civs(different GA powers,more traits)

Introduce minor Civs(barbs...)

Have more random events (Dark ages,Armaggedon,global warming...)

Besides the improved AI and more dynamic civs, I voted for the wonder movies and the high council. I much preferred those to the rather tedious illustrations we get now. The humor and creativeness of the councils was much appreciated, and the wonder movies were, at their best, really beautiful to watch.

Some first Ideas on the Poll:
1.Dynamic civs seems to be everybody's favorite. I guess more and more people feel the predictability of the winner early ingame, bearing heavy on them.
2.AI is the other first tier choice(over 10%).There is alreaady a discussion above on that.
3. Religion or some implementation of religious strategy is already(rumor has it in the plans) not a first choice but one of the second tier (over 5%) choices.
4. Given how long it takes for a new player to be accustomed with the editor(a number of posts in general discussion c&c and technical forums, implies this) this choice probably reflects the more experienced players...
5. Economy,corruption,minor civs, random events are also strongly supported.
6.the high council is terra incognita for me but I thought it was in the hearts of many.Not as a first(or for that matter 2nd) choice.
7. Graphics /3D.Rumor has it again that Firaxis hired at least one very good 3D programmer,but ppl dont seem extremely preoccupied with that...

more later...(before commenting please read the disclaimers at the end of the very first post)

OK peeps, here's my two cents....

Throughout human history, IMHO, the motivation of progress, the drive for conquest etc. has been driven, not alone but unclusively, by one but the lowest yet most essential and basic human needs. Yes, you, sir at the back... Sex!

Therefore i would like to see the addition of a minor city improvement, kinda like the 'Police station' which would, of course, be similar to 'The Joy Division'. Since i think there is still a trademark involved with the name, i presume legal implications will have to be avoided by renaiming the afforementioned concept to something 'politically correct'. I would, therefore, suggest that such an improvement be named 'The 3 barrels and a stocking whiz bang bang' (add as many 'bangs' as you wish, in fact i think the name should be customizable).

May i also suggest the inclusion of a mobile 'whiz bang' unit, one that will be moving along with the troops to provide high morale for the upcoming battle.

Needless to say, the quality of graphics for the representation of the unit must be of a highly stimulating nature thus promoting gameplay.

Ha! One could take the enemy out single handedly... Literaly! LOL

Ideas?

Welcome to CFC forums, puke...I trust you'll enjoy your stay....
I think you should propose your idea in a new thread since I'm afraid it does not relate to the ones included in the poll. Unfortunately I cannot add more choices at this point. I also suggest you give some further details on the implementation of your idea in your new thread and possibly on the proposed interface...

Change the combat system(stacks/units/battle groups choice), Introduce Dynamic Civs(civil war/splitting/joining), Introduce new geography concept(Canals/bridges) and Improve the editor (In depth AI/scripts/diplomacy...etc).

Go me. I only picked 4 options, I'm very proud.

Some first Ideas on the Poll:
1.Dynamic civs seems to be everybody's favorite. I guess more and more people feel the predictability of the winner early ingame, bearing heavy on them.
2.AI is the other first tier choice(over 10%).There is alreaady a discussion above on that.
3. Religion or some implementation of religious strategy is already(rumor has it in the plans) not a first choice but one of the second tier (over 5%) choices.
4. Given how long it takes for a new player to be accustomed with the editor(a number of posts in general discussion c&c and technical forums, implies this) this choice probably reflects the more experienced players...
5. Economy,corruption,minor civs, random events are also strongly supported.
6.the high council is terra incognita for me but I thought it was in the hearts of many.Not as a first(or for that matter 2nd) choice.
7. Graphics /3D.Rumor has it again that Firaxis hired at least one very good 3D programmer,but ppl dont seem extremely preoccupied with that...

more later...(before commenting please read the disclaimers at the end of the very first post)

Later: I think the most Important thing in the poll is that 10 out of 20 choices are spread at under 5% .
And that speakes volumes about the versatility of the game in our minds. I really wonder how many different games are out there all under the umbrella of Civ;that is also an explanation for the popularity of this forum.Everybody seems to want the civ he has in mind, and it is not strange that heated arguments erupt out of the most unconspicious ideas...

Top Bottom