• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Death Penalty: For or Against?

Death penalty?

• Let's get rid of it altogether! It's cruel and inhumane.

Votes: 95 59.7%
  • No, the death penalty is a necessary part of justice.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • It should be used only in the most rare cases.

Votes: 28 17.6%
  • I don't think it makes any difference to the public.

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

lordsurya08

class-A procrastinator
Interesting topic for debate. Here is my analysis:

PROS:

* why need to spend the good man's tax dollars for the bad man's prison cell?
* once released, former prisoners rarely can find work. This makes him more likely to commit further crime out of necessity.
* someone who goes to prison and comes out is likely to get killed by the public anyway, especially if he's famous eg. Mark David Chapman, who shot John Lennon. (he hasn't died yet, but it could happen from what I've heard)

CONS:

* immoral
* could be found innocent in light of new evidence long following execution.

why need to spend the good man's tax dollars for the bad man's prison cell?
Prisons aren't that expensive, and it is my understanding that pursuing death penalties eat up more money in legal services then life sentences.
* once released, former prisoners rarely can find work. This makes him more likely to commit further crime out of necessity.
You're presuming that they need to be released.
* someone who goes to prison and comes out is likely to get killed by the public anyway, especially if he's famous eg. Mark David Chapman, who shot John Lennon. (he hasn't died yet, but it could happen from what I've heard)
1. You're presuming that they need to be released.
2. I don't think it's that likely, you wouldn't happen to have any stats on it, would you?

My views of when the Death Penalty can be used are as follows:

1: Murder.
2: Rape, especially Pedophiliac Rape.
3: Repeat cases of Manslaughter.

It costs more to execute someone than it does to keep someone in prison for life.

The criminal justice system isn't accurate enough to justify so irrevocable step.

There is no deterrent value to the DP.

The DP panders to the lowest parts of human behavior to hurt others.

1) The cost of the death penalty is greater than that of life imprisonment, when you factor in the additional legal fees needed for the government to secure a verdict against the many appeals.
2) The kind of people that would receive capital punishment would have life in prison anyway.
2a) Crimes that have yet to be committed cannot be factored into any kind of legal decision.
3) Sense. This makes none.

How many innocent individuals have to be executed, and later exonerated, before the United States follows the rest of the civilized world in abolishing the death penalty?

CONS:

can't think of any, will edit if someone brings up a few good points

CONS:
Someone could get killed and then they find evidence that he did not do it. There will be huge riots and the U.S. government will collapse.

Ignore that last sentence. The 1st part still counts

I am against the Death Penalty. Prison is about rehabilitation, not revenge.

Statistically, the existence of the death penalty has not been a noticeable factor in deterrence. The kind of people who would be afraid of it are also certain it wouldn't happen to them.

Statistically, the existence of the death penalty has not been a noticeable factor in deterrence. The kind of people who would be afraid of it are also certain it wouldn't happen to them.

Or never even think about it at all. :p

Prisons aren't that expensive, and it is my understanding that pursuing death penalties eat up more money in legal services then life sentences.
You're presuming that they need to be released.

1. You're presuming that they need to be released.
2. I don't think it's that likely, you wouldn't happen to have any stats on it, would you?

http://www.thewip.net/contributors/2010/01/californias_prison_spending_gr.html
"greater numbers of Californians are spending more time in prison costing California state tax payers $10.6 billion dollars annually – or 9.7% of the state budget, more money than the state spends on higher education (5.9%)."

More money is being spend on prisons in CA than education. That's pathetic. The population of CA is 36 million. 10.6 bil / 36 mil = about 3,000 per month per person.

If prisoners are not released at all, this number goes further up.

And yes, release prisoners are themselves under much danger. People "were threatening retribution if he [Chapman] were to be released."
. ^
|
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_David_Chapman, which has this citation:
"John Lennon Killer Chapman Denied Parole In NY". cbsnews.com. September 7, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2010.[

I am against the Death Penalty. Prison is about rehabilitation, not revenge.

But revenge is part of justice, is it not? And there are too many people who are too hardened to be rehabilitated. Death is quicker and safer.

Well, I'm fairly skeptical of the deterrence argument toward the death penalty. I haven't really gotten into the data though and figured out if there really is much evidence either way.

However, Owen was talking about prisons being about rehabilitation and not revenge, and I think prisons are (and should be) generally about deterrence.

It costs more to execute someone than it does to keep someone in prison for life.

The criminal justice system isn't accurate enough to justify so irrevocable step.

There is no deterrent value to the DP.

The DP panders to the lowest parts of human behavior to hurt others.

Do you have any evidence for sentence 2?

Capital punishment doesn't deter anyone; it simply kills them. It utterly fails in its main task.

Only one person so far has tried to refute the OP's arguments...

Top Bottom