The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning's detention

Actually, he's got 10, and you have 6.

I apologize, but I thought we had already established that your opinion was pollyannaish.

I had actually forgotten that I had posted in this thread when it was opened five months ago.

As for the nature of my opinion; well, one of us is saying that a person ought to be treated without disrespect to his physical person, and one of us is saying that he ought to be shot and is an idiot for holding a different opinion of what was the right thing to do (his motives being something I concede to Mobby that I did not entirely understand). So dare I attempt to make judgment of which is the more noble thing to do. Or dare I further bring up another recent thread, where you bragged about being a Catholic. It's not a very Christian thing to call for someone's execution.

No apology necessary; it is an old thread, and posts have been reoccurring frequently since then. I, for one, did not realize that many of the posts were not made recently. No worries.

As for the nature of my opinion; well, one of us is saying that a person ought to be treated without disrespect to his physical person, and one of us is saying that he ought to be shot and is an idiot for holding a different opinion of what was the right thing to do (his motives being something I concede to Mobby that I did not entirely understand).

I, for one, believe that the criminal justice system pertaining to normal crimes should focus on recuperation and education. However, treason is a crime that can hold far, far repercussions that even exceed that of mass murder. Sure, it's debatable whether he did what he thought was correct, but releasing this sort of information can threaten the general security of the public. There should be no leniency towards this Wikileaks fiasco.

So dare I attempt to make judgment of which is the more noble thing to do. Or dare I further bring up another recent thread, where you bragged about being a Catholic. It's not a very Christian thing to call for someone's execution.

I will admit, you do possess a keen understanding of linguistics and opinion, for your use of synonyms to skew the connotation of sentences. For one, I "admitted" about being a Catholic; I did not "brag" about being one.

FP, from what I have read in the news so far, Manning was a loner, and didnt get along with his co-workers that well. I sure your aware of the occasional 'odd man out' kind of person that somehow ends up in the military. From all accounts I have heard Manning was that type of guy, and it very well could have contributed to his emotional state leading up to his alleged crime.

As much as I hate to say it: that's fantastic, but has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. My point was that even if he didn't know the exact repercussions he must have known that if caught something would happen. Now I'm not suggesting that he's not surprised to find himself in quite the depth of poo that he's in, but he can't have not realised that what he was doing was a fairly big deal.

As much as I hate to say it: that's fantastic, but has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. My point was that even if he didn't know the exact repercussions he must have known that if caught something would happen. Now I'm not suggesting that he's not surprised to find himself in quite the depth of poo that he's in, but he can't have not realised that what he was doing was a fairly big deal.

It was in reference to your comment about his squaddies talking to him about it.....at least that what I thought you were referencing by bringing up his fellow soldiers....

I had already addressed that earlier. Typically soldiers are counseled on such things by their leadership: first line NCOs, First Sergeants, and/or company commanders. However, its been my experience that the counseling is still only essentially 'if you do this bad things could happen' type of message - nothing ever specific.

But you also have to understand that soldiers are read that riot act almost daily for some reason or another. Hence, it gets repeated so often as to almost be a meaningless drone. And this soldier in particular would already know this to an extent, because he had been given non-judicial punishment via Article 15 not long before this incident.

So, to sum up:

Did he know better? Yes.
Did he know he could get in trouble for doing this? Yes. Did it matter to him? Probably not.
Did he have an idea of how much trouble he would actually be in? I dont think so.

Its also quite odd how many people are actually surprised that they got caught when they get caught. Almost in every case I have seen, they think they have it wired and will never get caught. Dont ask me why that is, it just is. /shrug.

Top Bottom