1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity cookbook I: Gilgamesh from Sumeria

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dirk1302, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

Thanks for the clarification, it just shows how rarely I had used drafting.

1 pop per rifle is definitely useful at times. I would imagine a powerful combo in a tight and necessary war:

1. Run Nationhood+Theo
    2. HE city build CR2 siege
    3. A food rich Globe city draft 1 rifle/turn, ideally the pop grows back to 7 within 1 to 2 turns.

This could allow a hammer poor empire to raise an army quickly and gain military and land advantage given a very small window of opportunity.

@all, I would not call this a win yet, the Deity AIs are capable of taking off in tech after Lib/PP/Democracy given enough land, and human need to have plans to stay close late game. Things would become more clear after the next round 1500AD.

2. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Yes, I look forward to another Japan start on Desert and Tundra please. Haha!

Anyhow, just about all solo Deity is a joke in comparison to team Deity AIs. If you want to give it some more runs Snaaty (or anyone else), give me a time and date and I'll try to hit it up on the server.

In the meantime, I think I perfer ABC's save because of the lack of cottages, and the tech lead. Though, it has its problems.

3. obsolete

obsolete Deity

By the way, what the hell is this leader's UB? The civopedia says it's two different things! First I am told it's the aqueduct, with +1 extra food, and then I am told it's a courthouse, which has no extra benefit over a normal courthouse.

4. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Ziggurat
    Cost: 90 (normal courthouse is 120)
    Available with: Priesthood (normal courthouse is available with CoL)

The aqueduct with 1 extra food is the Baray and it's the Khmer UB (Sury as leader).

5. SnowlyWhite

SnowlyWhite Emperor

it's the mother of all ubs: ch at priesthood, whippable at 6 :p

6. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Who's the father? :D

7. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Monty or Justininan's UB?

8. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Well, that was bound to happen when pushing past the 24-hours without sleep problem.

I'm still not impressed with the UB. Now give me Monty's courthouse... and then you got something there.

9. SnowlyWhite

SnowlyWhite Emperor

you're cre - you rush 1-2 settlers half the continent to block, you chop the thing and then backfill; yeah, pretty boring, but very safe too.

those for war, ikhanda for space with corps.(or rathaus, but why the heck would you play that crummy hre?:p)

and funny, this map is exactly fitted for summeria playstyle imho.

10. carl corey

carl corey Deity

You'd play for Space with the Zulus? I'll tell Shaka!

11. silverbullet

silverbullet King

All: please don't drag this thread off topic. Discussion of which UB is best are better left to a separate thread.

12. carl corey

carl corey Deity

Don't worry man, we all know the answer to that one: "It depends." :lol:

:returning thread to normal use:

13. Gunner Jones

Gunner Jones Chieftain

I've been following along trying to replicate a number of the games - one question for ABC - I notice you delayed building the NE till after the Lib race (I see you already had the Parthenon) - could you comment on your need/payoff thinking?

Gunner.

14. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

I originally thought about putting the HE in capital, but soon I realized Lagash was a better spot and could dedicate to Troop prod unlike the capital, which needs to focus on science since I already stuffed an Academy, GL and Oxford in there.

So ATM ~1000AD, the best way to boost capital beaker output is running representation scientists. Along this thinking, the capital is now better used as a super science city/GP farm. So I decided to put NE in here. I intend to capture some good Mayan cities which have very high science potential. So any GS generated can build Academies there.

I will most likely delay Scientific Method since I got an AP monestary in each city and GL and Parth and U. Of Sankore, the hammer and beaker loss will be significant.

15. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

@All,
    Unless i hear you can't make it in which case we work something out 1000 AD saves should be in december 17th. Also while it's not mandatory and i realize some players won't make it, don't forget there's a reporting point at 500 AD.

16. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I'll probably play and post tomorrow.

17. obsolete

obsolete Deity

ABC, I think you are being far too paranoid. All I need is 6 cities really, and we already have 6 here, so relax, the cat's in the bag.
    Spoiler :

The only real thing I don't like with what you've done in your save is running Vassalage. It is said by rule of thumb, if someone is running this civic they are probably doing something wrong. As much as I try to find a way to validate it here... it falls short.

Now IF Vassalage was +3 exp then maybe there can be some rare cases where it has some use. This would allow combos of:

Vas. +3
    The. +2
    Bar. +3
    Sta. +2

= 10 EXP

That woudl give you 3 mounted promotions right out of the gate. Unfortuantely, the best you can do now is just 2, because you come up 1 pt. too short (SUCKS!).

Nation-H is much more superior, and it gets a nice boost to the espionage.

Unfortuantelly, we are not spiritual and your golden age is about to end in 2 turns, and there is not enough time to fix it by then due to the waiting period. Grrrr.

Anyhow, I do wish the due-date would be quicker. I am very anxious to give it a shot. And unfortunately there are no other decent deity games going on here or the succession games area (OCC doesn't count)

BTW: shyuhe, I hope you post by tomorrow too.

18. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

ABCF, very impressive save. Makes me realize what I should have done during the 1AD-1000AD stretch :)

Spoiler :

I don't have much time so I'll keep this short. Basically I got liberalism-MT thinking I could get iron from Suleiman. Little did I know how much he would charge for it:

So there goes my plan for a curi rush on Pacal :( I also missed the UoS and Taj. Both to Suleiman :mad: Let's just say I'm not happy with my play (forgot to swap to slavery to whip the Taj out).

I've finished settling out the continent but my research rate is terrible. If I knew I couldn't get iron at a reasonable price, then I would have taken representation :(

Attached Files:

19. obsolete

obsolete Deity

shyuhe, thanks for that (ever so short, but at least something) to report update :p

And now...

Spoiler :

83 G/T with 3 resources, to a FRIENDLY AT, that has 3 seperate iron resources in reserve no less! OMG, that's horrible!

LOL

I never bothered with the cruaissers. This is just one of the many things that goes wrong with them. Of course, I'm a bit spoiled because I remember the days when these things were actually full blown cavalry.

And now.. I shall actually take a look at your save at least :p

20. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Since i haven't seen in between reports for 500 AD and i'm a bit pressed for time myself right now i'll update until 1000 AD. If there's interest in a 500 AD report i can extract one from this report.

Spoiler :

Buildings
    Until 500 AD i basically build the following
    - workers, we need a lot on this map and the amount of land we have.
    - Zigs to cut down on cost
    - Jewish monasteries/temples everywhere to get the ap hammers.
    - Culture in Angel and Lagsh at moments i'm close to a border pop point. I try to avoid it though preferring useful buildings.

After 500 AD
    Not too spectacular, basically forges, then unis, jewish synagogues and the hermitage in the border cities. I build some 5 settlers during the Taj GA to settle the land.

Land improvements
    Basically cottages. I said it'd be too slow but i gathered i'd be close to demo around 1000 AD and it would be nice if the cottages are ready to work by then.

Tech/Trade
    I traded a lot since i think i can keep Sulei and Pacal friendly for a long time. Also the other continent won't know of all my trades.

75 AD
    I get CS for Music and 130 gold. Bulb philo start GA setting civics to HR/Buro/Caste/Pac.

225 AD
    Paper's in 250 AD and i have enough GS to bulb edu immed. Start UOS in capital since it has great synergy with lots of cities, all religious buildings and at least 2 synagoges in the border cities. Could have been a very early lib but after the GA i switch to slavery/OR. Overall OR is just much more powerful than pacifism right now, i'm building buildings in almost every city. Have to wait 8 turns for the next GS now.

I can see pacal's research now so i can anticipate. He goes nationalism-> constitution.My best research plan depends a bit on what others research,Since i only research at 50% and it's unlikely that someone has 1000 gold out of the blue i decide to set the slider to 0% awaiting developments.

300 AD
    get feudalism in trade

475 AD
    trade a load of rubbish to Saladin for Machinery after having made the final bulb for lib (1 turn).

520 AD
    UOS is halfway and Sulei has no stone so i make the slightly risky move to trade paper to Sulei for optics and some 250 gold ( i had optics part researched by now) i really need the gold but even more important i'd like to whip a caravel asap to find the others. As you can guess i'm going to take astro from lib. Research wise i go for gunpowder now. often the savest choice if you don't really have something interesting to research.

640 AD
    Pacal's finished with Natio so i finish lib, take astro.Trade astro to Natio. Start Taj in capital. Meet Joao and Darius shortly after iirc. they were really far away from the left side of my empire.

800 AD
    finally some others have finished guilds so i can get it now in return for gunpowder.Trade for banking 2 turns later and start research on economics. I trade for a lot of stuff 840 AD-1000 AD but self research economics getting the GM.

Culture:
    Since i wanted to build up fairly normally i didn't build culture to much in Angel and Lagash.Even without the goodies these were reasonable cities especially Angel (it popped a copper :goodjob:). But since i'm in FS now i'm winning the culture wars anyway.

In Angel Parthenon has recently doubled culture and with a synagogue and hermitage it's output is way over 100 cpt already. I expect it can work all it's tiles 1050 AD.

Lagash is making progress too. 3 turns from popping borders again and our culture on the banana was already rising. It has a synagogue and with the uni cpt will be ~40. It's also helped by 2 other cities so the banana should be ours ~1100-1150 AD.

Overview:
    Position's strong imo. Research is low right now since almost everyone is in merc,it was much higher when i met Joao and Darius some 300 years ago close to 500 bpt. Corporation which i'm researching now won't do much for me but i think i can trade corp and lib for demo once Pacal is finished, maybe i have to research a bit into it but since i have a monopoly on lib/corp this should work.

I can trade astro/economics for chem now with Sulei.If chem doesn't get traded around i could trade chem/corp for demo immediately.I am not fully decided on this trade. It probably won't run away the next turns but maybe Sulei can do a deal with Darius getting economics. Then i'd have to research into chem to trade astro for it. So maybe i take it now but in this case i don't think i can trade chem to Pacal when he gets demo.

I'm going to fill in the land roughly as indicated in the screenshot. Money from GM will pay for this. After demo the cottages'll be villages in ~ 10 turns (since most 'll be hamlets or better by ten). Once the others switch to FM/SP research'll boom. I don't think a war is needed from here. Apart from the GM i have one GS now, probably a future academy, but maybe a GA to speed up SOL. My chances for SOL should be reasonable, probably build it in Kish since Uruk has to build Oxford. Some 25 turns needed there but Pacal's the only contender and he's been slow with wonders this game and has no copper.

I'll have 6 unis in ~6 turns, with stone the capital can build oxford in ~ 7 turns so we should have this science booster shortly after 100 AD.

10 cities are settled, i have X'd 5 important sites that'll be settled soon. Apart from this 3-4 other cities can be crammed in but they will only be working coast, could be worth it later when all trade routes are back online especially if i get some good corps. So the empire will have 15-18 cities in the future.

Attached Files: