• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Deity/Domination or Violent Culture/Large Map

After pondering this overnight, I’m thinking that the siege could take up to five turns, depending on how much of a dent the minutemen can put into the city’s defenses. The good thing is that the city doesn’t have any units garrisoned there.

IBT – Dido moves a xbow and a treb toward Sukhothai. A xbow takes 38 hit points. A great scientist is born.

Turn 170 – 1100 AD – Our crossbows don’t take a huge bite out of the city. Move several additional units toward the siege.

IBT – Kamehameha wants an RA (250G a piece). I accept.

Turn 171 – 1110 AD – Continue siege.

New York: Minuteman => amphitheatre

IBT – Renew furs for 9 gpt deal with Korea. Lose a minuteman at the siege. Dido has moved a treb and two xbows for defense. Scientific Theory comes in.

Turn 172 – 1120 AD – Industrialization next.

At the siege the city is now in yellow.

We have a new spy. After much consideration I decide to plant our spy in Ormus. The idea is that if they are our ally, then we’ll get their gems allowing us to sell ours.
Washington: cannon => public school
Porto: minuteman => coliseum (we are down to 1 happy).

Here’s the tactical situation:

IBT – Renew a citrus deal with Morocco for 2gpt and 174G. Dido gets a xbow in Sukhothai. We lose a xbow in the crossfire.

Turn 173 – 1130 AD – We are suddenly 3 unhappy. Not sure how that happened. I spend 1000G to buy two coliseums.

Sacrifice a minuteman at the siege.

Philly: frigate => public school

IBT – Lose a minuteman at the siege.

Turn 174 – 1140 AD – At the siege the city is down to red. Hold off attacking with the melee units until we get more at the siege (two on the way).

Time for a vote. I don’t see any benefit to throwing our five votes behind anyone other than the eventual winner – Persia.

Also are we playing 15 turns this round as well?

Turn 174 (con’t) – Lisboa: ironworks => public school
Boston: cannon => public school
We lost a trade route.

I realize that we are friends with Bismarck so I vote for him in the election.

IBT – Lose a crossbow in the siege. Renew an OB deal with Kamehameha and a lux for lux deal with Bismarck

Turn 175 – 1150 AD – A lone xbow moves toward Carthage. It is redlined by the frigates.
New York: Amphitheatre => public school (Building a amphitheatre may have been :smoke: )

The tactical situation:

I'm going to assume we are playing 15 turns for one more round.

IBT – lose another xbow at the siege

Turn 176 – 1160 AD – Renew some horses and iron for 2 gpt deals with Bismarck and Ahmed. Kill a xbow at Carthage with the frigates.

Chip away at Sukhothai. Two minutemen arrive to help finish it off.

IBT – Lose another xbow at the siege.

Turn 177 – 1170 AD – Sukhothai finally falls. Dido has rifles. We kill two units outside Carthage.

Industrialization is in. We have coal outside Boston. Start improving that. Archeology is next on the way to biology.

I think we will make peace now except for the city state down south. We can use it to farm some XP.

Find out that we have to make peace with that CS. Dido gives us all her gold and all her gpt. We could have gotten Saguntum, but that would have been worthless.

We have a happiness problem. Buy a zoo for 740G. Sell Bismarck our new truffles for 240G then buy another zoo. We’re now at -4 happy.

IBT – Rammy wants to be friends. I decide not to do it just in case the team covets Machu Pichu.

Turn 178 – 1180 AD – Porto: coliseum => public school
Washington: public school (hire a scientist to staff it) => start Oxford pre-build.

IBT – Maria and Ahmed dogpile on Dido. Rammy wants OB. Sorry.

Turn 179 – 1190 AD – Our new writer, Henry David Thoreau writes Walden. Spend 250G to keep Hong Kong in the fold.

IBT – Bismarck adopts autocracy. Bismarck and Maria sign a peace treaty.

Turn 180 – 1200 AD – Use a great general to grab an improved truffles. Sell them to Darius for 7gpt.

The size of this map is kicking my machine’s butt. I try for one last screenshot but I get a run time error. About the fifth one I’ve had this set.

Attachments

• Washington_0180 AD-1200.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
We have Oxford due in about four turns. We're at -1 happiness. Cash flow is nice and healthy at ~85 gpt. Our treasury is a little low at ~100G.

Next better player.

Bugsy, what is a runtime error? Does it crash the game?

my turn. That was very brave of you Bugsy, but the XBs have run their course. I would have preferred to save the gold on Factories and faster Ideologies

My plan is as follows:

1. See what's up with happiness
2. Try to get to Ideology asap, is Autocracy good here?
3. Crank out more units, I'm thinking a few more Frigates and then swing back to Artillery

Bear in mind that the Frigate upgrades to Battleship for about 350g a piece, not really cheap

Bugsy, what is a run time error? Does it crash the game?
Yes, it crashes the game. It happens about 50% of the time when I try to take a screenshot.

Typically a run time error happens when you have two actions occurring within your processor that are incompatible. They fight for processing time forcing both to crash. Writing this I'm thinking I might have a virus that my protection program didn't detect. I'll have to look into that.

my turn. That was very brave of you Bugsy, but the XBs have run their course.
I concur. XBs were barely making a dent in the city. They would take an average of 10 hit points off each shot. It was all I had though. I might point out that minutemen have also run their course. They were increasingly less effective as the siege wore on.

I would have preferred to save the gold on Factories and faster Ideologies
So I shouldn't have worried about getting our happiness back up? I don't understand that. Please edu-ma-cate me. Also, I'm not sure how we can use gold on ideologies. I thought we only got social policies through culture.

Bear in mind that the Frigate upgrades to Battleship for about 350g a piece, not really cheap
No, not cheap, but powerful. Worth the investment if we want to go domination.

I guess that brings up a decision. Do we want to go for a tourist/culture victory or do we go domination?

Whichever way we want to go for victory is going to be a challenge. Of course, I am usually optimistic that we can win. We have some strong cities and we haven't even gotten some key builds completed in many cities such as public schools and markets/banks.

I'm a warmonger at heart, but if you guys want to go for the culture win, I'll support that as well.

One other thing to consider. As far as I know, only Bismarck has entered the modern age and adopted an ideology.

I think we are ahead of nearly all civs in technology.

I concur. XBs were barely making a dent in the city. They would take an average of 10 hit points off each shot. It was all I had though. I might point out that minutemen have also run their course. They were increasingly less effective as the siege wore on.

So I shouldn't have worried about getting our happiness back up? I don't understand that. Please edu-ma-cate me. Also, I'm not sure how we can use gold on ideologies. I thought we only got social policies through culture.

No, not cheap, but powerful. Worth the investment if we want to go domination.

I meant 3 factories for ideology, while there are still free picks. We may have been alright taking a few turns of unhappy but in hindsight, gold would have been used on a city state instead so it would be the same. No problem then.

I think it's a tick too late to take the Culture route, Domination it is

I meant 3 factories for ideology, while there are still free picks. We may have been alright taking a few turns of unhappy but in hindsight, gold would have been used on a city state instead so it would be the same. No problem then.
It would have been more than a few, unless we're going use the scientists. I checked the city states for an extra lux, but didn't see anything. If I missed it, then spending that money was :smoke:

We have to make our three factories manually.

My main concern is our crappy culture. God do I hate how BNW rellies so much on cultural city states :/ Taking Autocracy with only 1 policy will make us suffer. We can chose to go domination with order at that point if we're first there. Depends if we're being influenced by germany. At least level 1 Order policies are better than Autocracy (which main strength are level 2 and 3).

Overall we're a bit late which will make the large size map difficult but let's continue toward Battleship and try our best. We absolutely need to hoard gold as much as possible now and evaluate how much Frigate we're likely to upgrade and make no more. We probably won't kill anybody with frigates but it would be cool if we can farm some XP. Maybe we can harass venice and pillage his cargos. I suggest making the 3 factories in coastal cities with armories. We're probably reaching our maximum frigate potential so let's transform coastal cities in strong production cities for battleships. Since hapiness is not going great we should even slow growth for production.

Bugsy, you should definitely install EUI, that way your screenshots can provide much more information like relationship status with city states, army size sorted by unit type, turns to next policy, stuff like that. I forgot to point out the religious situation, we seem to have a lot stashed up, maybe there are some religious buildings we can get for an increase in culture/happy

I'll get around to playing this today or tomorrow

We have to make our three factories manually.

My main concern is our crappy culture. God do I hate how BNW rellies so much on cultural city states :/ Taking Autocracy with only 1 policy will make us suffer. We can chose to go domination with order at that point if we're first there. Depends if we're being influenced by germany. At least level 1 Order policies are better than Autocracy (which main strength are level 2 and 3).

I concur with Order v. Autocracy. Order can generate a lot of happiness to offset moderate tourism influence.

Top Bottom