Deity is insanely hard

Veteranewbie

Prince
I was playing this game just for fun, so I cheat. I gave myself all the wonders at the beginning
Because I'm going to cheat anyway, I decide to go something challenging, something I've never experienced, so I decide to go for Deity with 11 Aggressive AI on, turning on only domination and conquest victory
So it's about 200BC or something when Incan who was in good terms with me suddenly close border, so I knew they are up to something. With no surprise they declared war about 15 turns later, but I'm not afraid since I got riflemen by then, I thought I will easily strike back and wipe him out
We're physically connected in the north and the south border, and when I check what he's throwing at me, holy smoke, at least 20 units at the north and another 20 at the south, and when I check his closest cities it has around 10 units guarding it.
Consider that this time I have about 8 cities each have only about 3 defenders each, and the Incan has about 7~8 cities which appear to be equally heavily guarded, I would assume its ~27units vs ~70units, if it wasn't because my units are riflemen against his longbowmen I would have been overwhelmed right at the beginning (BTW when his 20 units arrive near my northmost city I have only about 5 riflemen guarding it)
The game goes on anyway after the war (though he didn't gain anything), then the Russian declare war on the Americans (which happened that the Russians have to run across the Incan land). I swear I've seen at least 20 Cossacks and another 30 of riflemen, grenadier and catapults running right across map. This is at about 500AD? or something, very early in terms of tech:time when compared to lower level
But personally, I've never seen something bigger than a 20 units SOD in noble, deity can easily throw out a 50 units invading army (and their cities are big. I think most of the AI cities reach about 15+ in the 500AD)

I tried a diety game just out of curiosity.

Didn't cheat at all, started an ancient game from scratch with 6 civs on a small continents map.

I was done in less than 15 turns.

As luck would have it, my neighbor was Monty and he wanted my lands badly.

I normally play on noble so this was quite the humbling experience to say the least.

I am baffled how anyone wins at that level without entering worldbuilder.

It's actually quite intense with cheating though, especially for all those warmongerer who think it's too easy for them
I managed to lost a stack of 10 infantry when AI throws in I think about 20~30 knights/cats/macemen at me
I don't think there's this 'whole thing just collapse after first few fighting' thing as well
They just have so many defenders with lots of sparing units that the AI can constantly throw at me

Read a couple of the strategy guides 'how to beat deity' but i still have the utmost respect for anyone that can beat deity and more so if you win peacefully.

I think that deity is not winnable peacefully... you just need to be lucky, use all loopholes what you know and play every turn about 1-2 hours... and then try to conquest everyone... (didn't mean duel map).

I did almost exactly what you did Veteranewbie. I helped myself a little more though. I gave myself all of the technologies instead of all of the techs, and I gave myself three mech infantry, two fast-workers, and two navy seals per city. By 1000 AD, they had completely caught up to me in terms of score. I was still winning in score, but only by 50 or so points.

Hmmm, but it's impossible to win without having rigged settings? =\

You can win on Deity with standard settings. As long as you know your way around the game and don't get a pathetic tundra start or something.

It'll be a massive challenge, you have to get at least 2 cities with insane production level, for example 1 turn 1 unit... to survive
As I said, I cheated to the level that my capital and my second city can build 1 riflemen in 1 turn but I'm still struggling to keep up with the AI's military size

Zombie69 said:
You can win on Deity with standard settings. As long as you know your way around the game and don't get a pathetic tundra start or something.
You've won that?

No, but i'll probably try it soon as Immortal is becoming way too easy now. But i heard from others who have done it.

Soil said:
Hmmm, but it's impossible to win without having rigged settings? =\

Hmm. I'm seeing HOF entries in which If you look at the timeline, they have -curiously- as neighbours both Indian civs (Ghandi and Asoka). Their UU is the fast worker so they are not exactly a menace. So what the player did was declare war on one and then the other. Once he had the land/cities of both Indian empires aswell as his he started attacking a warmonger civ with a dangerous UU. That's at Emperor level with huge map IIRC.

Is this cheating ? I'd say it's just rigging the game settings so as to deckstack it conveniently biassed towards him making sure you start right beside two peaceful civs with non-aggressive UU's. Then it's just a matter of declaring war consecutively at the right time. Obviously the player must be fairly skilled to pull this one off. I'm sure the game would be quite different If you had both Monty and Cathy as neighbours.

Drakan said:
Is this cheating ? I'd say it's just rigging the game settings so as to deckstack it conveniently biased towards him making sure you start right beside two peaceful civs with non-aggressive UU's. Then it's just a matter of delaring war at the right time. Obviously the player must be fairly skilled to pull this one off. I'm sure the game would be quite different If you had both Monty and Catherine as neighbours.
No, look at the Deity space Standard and Large. Monte is the neighbour. Its not as easy as you think.
Zombie69 said:
But i heard from others who have done it.
Who?

All I'm saying is that starting positions can be tweaked to a player's favour diminishing the inherent game level of difficulty.

Back in Civ 3 any Emperor-level player could win on Sid playing an archipiélago map with 60% water, against 15 civs playing as the Dutch (agricultural and swisspikes).

I can't remember the names at the moment, but i think Roland was one of them.

Zombie69 said:
I can't remember the names at the moment, but i think Roland was one of them.
It's true it can be won but its dependent on luck. At this high level luck is necessary.

I think if you know what you're doing, you don't need luck besides "not getting a pathetic tundra start or something" like i said before. But i'll be more apt to talk about it after i've experienced it myself. Still, since Immortal is getting pretty damn easy after playing about 6 or 7 games at different settings, i can't see Deity being impossible or anything like that. The biggest obstacle is probably the fact that the AIs get 2 settlers to start (which is huge, i'm not denying that). Other than that, there doesn't seem to be that much difference compared to Immortal. We'll see.

Zombie69 said:
I think if you know what you're doing, you don't need luck besides "not getting a pathetic tundra start or something" like i said before. But i'll be more apt to talk about it after i've experienced it myself. Still, since Immortal is getting pretty damn easy after playing about 6 or 7 games at different settings, i can't see Deity being impossible or anything like that. The biggest obstacle is probably the fact that the AIs get 2 settlers to start (which is huge, i'm not denying that). Other than that, there doesn't seem to be that much difference compared to Immortal. We'll see.
Ok, we'll see after your attempts.

Top Bottom