Deity Level Succession Game

Cordoba has difficulty producing food; I wouldn't do any more work with settlers supported there, but either build cities or rehome them as soon as possible.

I was thinking that Cordoba's settler could finish the road between Cordoba and Valencia before moving to create a new city. We are going to need a road network at some point.

Also, with 2 of the AIs already building Colossus, do you think we need to make a decision on an SSC soon? If so, any thoughts on location?

I was thinking that Cordoba's settler could finish the road between Cordoba and Valencia before moving to create a new city. We are going to need a road network at some point.

Valencia will finish a settler in a few turns, and, since it has access to fish and is built on grassland, the city can more easily grow while supporting a settler.

We have triremes, and most of our cities have access to water. I would hold off on the road network until we have enough cities that the riot factor starts to lower the value of further construction.

Also, with 2 of the AIs already building Colossus, do you think we need to make a decision on an SSC soon? If so, any thoughts on location?

I don't see any good place for an SSC. There are few trade specials on our continent.

Got the save, will play it.

I've noticed that we do not have Pottery: I know from the turns I played yesterday (that ended up not counting) that the Sioux have it. On the other hand, they are Neutral: they will likely ask for a (probably tech) gift. But they are our Key Civ so not that big of an issue. (but it could affect our research for Trade... I'm going to hold off before we discover that.)

3 triremes? I don't think it's a good idea. But again, neither is a settler from Madrid... will take the first option. I will need also to colonize land mass 13: Will use Cordoba settler as the Seville one should improve Toledo I will use the Cordoba settler (make it board the Cordoba trireme) and go thru the canal site that a city will soon be built on. One trireme should go exploring east (with units inside, obviously... but not Settlers, probably a warrior from Madrid) It will also reveal some hidden ocean tiles near Seville, and maybe a sea special if we are lucky! The last one... no idea. It will probably stay for domestic transportation, or go exploring west.

I think that building a wonder RIGHT NOW should be our top priority. 2 civs are building the Colossus: One will likely switch to Pyramids. This leaves little room for error if we want to snatch both Marco's and HG. We can use Caravans, granted (when we get them) but we do not have enough cities to do that at my liking. It is fortunate that we can use 2 good specials at Toledo to catch up! If we mine the Oil square, Toledo will produce 7 shields (not counting support costs) and 2 food surplus per turn at size 2. The question is: By building Marco's first, do we risk losing out on HG? (with poor trading terrain, we will NEED HG for WLTPD if we do not want to maintain insane luxuries for few results, especially that quite a few of our cities won't grow that much without extensive irrigation work, hampering our results)

Building a city at (121, 89) or (121, 87) should override the building of a city at (120, 82) atm because it will restrain the Sioux expansion north if they break the alliance (they do not have ZOC restrictions because of the alliance, so they can simply slip by our city... and I think losing the alliance could happen sooner than we could think... the Sioux need to be dead by 1480 AD max atm if we are playing with restarts, as I do not like having a ground neighbour) Getting wonders built (or near-built), expanding to 12+ cities and restraining the Sioux shall be my top priority in those 15 turns. Also, the Sioux do not have BW: If we want to attack them soon, having to deal with only warriors (and the odd mounted unit) will help. But a campaign is way too early right now IMO, and they will likely have BW by the time we are ready. We should wait until Crusaders, if we want to take that path. (and all that, is being said assuming restarts are on)
EDIT: Attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• sgscreenshotnumber1.jpg
    sgscreenshotnumber1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 273
At the moment, 5 of our 7 cities can produce at least 5 shields when at size 2. That should be plenty to devoting to wonder building. I think we can afford the risk of losing HG by building Marco's first, particularly since we can always send a "diplomatic mission" of crusaders to negotiate our rights to control the city containing it once we get Monotheism.

For dealing with the "Sioux Situation," I'd give them all the techs we have at the moment. This might reduce our research costs for Trade, as well as put them in a better mood. We can then let relations deteriorate until we are ready to attack them (at which time they will hopefully cancel the alliance themselves, and either pay tribute or declare war). Once we get Marco's, if we need a tech from them, we should be able to acquire something "nonthreatening" (i.e. not Masonry or Polytheism) from one of the other civs to exchange with them.

Instead of sending settlers to landmass 13, I'd send horsemen. We have a few to spare, and empty islands give huts a much higher chance of advanced tribes. We're getting ready to enter the early wonder race; we don't really have any reason to build far-flung cities, instead of relatively close cities, at the moment, do we?

Instead of sending settlers to landmass 13, I'd send horsemen. We have a few to spare, and empty islands give huts a much higher chance of advanced tribes. We're getting ready to enter the early wonder race; we don't really have any reason to build far-flung cities, instead of relatively close cities, at the moment, do we?

It's not a bad idea. But blackclicking has determined that land mass 13 is not very large. Odds for an advanced tribe/nomad are 45% (thanks for the sethos.gmxhome.de link btw) in that land mass... not sure if we would land one. I was actually thinking picking up the Madrid horsemen with the westbound trireme and head that direction (leaving the NONE horsie to explore the lands west of the Sioux... I think it should go the other way around) If there is no tribe/nomad, what shall be our backup plan? Cities close to Toledo will need to build caravans soon anyway. I was planning ICS on land mass 13... not sure what I will do.

Anyways, with that being said, off we go.

MOST OBVIOUS SPOILER EVER MADE: Production in Toledo has been changed at the cost of some wasted shields... what does this mean for the Kingdom?

If there is no tribe/nomad, what shall be our backup plan? Cities close to Toledo will need to build caravans soon anyway. I was planning ICS on land mass 13... not sure what I will do.

Wait a little while before settling there. I don't see the urgency of moving to island 13 at the moment (if you do, please share). A city closer to home would have less waste and corruption, and be in a better position to help build a wonder if necessary. Island 13 is close enough to home that we can drop a few settlers down there at any time. I would understand the urgency if you were taking a caravan on a long distance journey and wanted to have a settler to give us some presence at the other end without having to make a second trip (or if you wanted to get a foothold on an occupied continent), but I just don't see the reason to give up a city close to home for one a little further from home. Especially since there is a whale begging to be harvested closer to home.

The irony there is that there is a whale near my proposed city site... *moves settler* and a hut. *please no barbs again* But will not build now, will explore a bit before (and pop the hut) I'm at turn 8 right now, I need to stop for today.

THe reason for settling 13 was ICS: I tend to be very expansionist. Sometimes too much, I admit.

Spoilers:
New techs acquired through research and diplomacy
Multiple WoW started
Expansion was undertaken
Foreign exploration is increasing
BARBS!!!!!
Restraining operations against the Sioux were started

Restraining operations, now that's interesting :p

I'm done, will post tomorrow.

According to the coordination thread, there should be a couple other participants, but they haven't made their presence known on this thread at all. Perhaps they are hoping a couple more players show up and the second game set up will be more to their liking?

I suppose they'll have to jump in whenever (unless we get a substantial way through the game).

I'll either play Friday evening, or I'll post saying that I had to pass (unless one of the other players turns up).

Well I would love to play a game but it would have to be ToT or MGE for me to play and sadly that's a no go for your game. I have a classic disk somewhere but I haven't see it in years. Also I would get killed on Deity. (I play on king.)

I'm lurking and playing along as I can, trying to duplicate what you experts are doing. I'd be happy to take a turn but I have to warn you, I've never done well on deity level.

Well I would love to play a game but it would have to be ToT or MGE for me to play and sadly that's a no go for your game. I have a classic disk somewhere but I haven't see it in years. Also I would get killed on Deity. (I play on king.)

I did realize there were also a couple players for whom this game was unsuitable.

I'm lurking and playing along as I can, trying to duplicate what you experts are doing. I'd be happy to take a turn but I have to warn you, I've never done well on deity level.

Go for it; the worst that will happen if you make a mistake is that the game will become more interesting. Magic Gorter is a good player, and will probably be next in line after you anyway.

Spoilers:
New techs acquired through research and diplomacy
Multiple WoW started
Expansion was undertaken
Foreign exploration is increasing
BARBS!!!!!
Restraining operations against the Sioux were started

I think most, if not all, of these fall under the "teasers" category, particularly "BARBS!!!!!" (If we were playing with barbarian wrath, that line would really be a tease.)

I was expecting mackerel to play next (and he gets 15 turns). Unless he finishes in record time (no pressure to do so, by the way), I'll be unavailable to play for about a week. I think that you would be in line after that.

I was figuring on switching to 10 turns per player once everyone had played once.

I don't feel comforatable playing deity either but I play here with everybody else nevertheless. There's a couple of people that more than know what they're doing and will probably be able to fix any mistakes in future turns. I've seen what they do on deity+3 the last time a complete succession game was played (Vikings?) so deity is like a piece of cake to those guys :p

Top Bottom