Deity Plus 1 Classic Succession Game 2

Originally posted by Kev
Just out of curiosity, Viking's account stated that the Babs developed Cure for Cancer (1770). Was this a misprint and should have read 'developed genetic engineering'?
Oops, I meant to say that they developed Genetic Engineering - my mind must have been fixed on the upcoming wonder race.

Hoover and the UN are IMO much more important for us than CFC. Which one is more important might depend on which civ ends up trying to build which wonder and where (capturing a wonder is always an option if we don't manage to get both). The Babs are the likeliest but if the Persians acquire the relevant techs from the Babs they might do it and very quickly since they are rich - after all they built AS in one turn.

Management has done it again. They promised better health care maybe even so far as a cure for cancer, but at the last minute, even with our overtime participation driving trucks from hither & yon, management said we had to choose. We could have the health care they said, but we had to give something up.

The Union.

We stopped building markets, reduced the military defense all for the promise of better health care & the chance for our union. We could be United. So we formed the Teamsters, drove our trucks & delivered the freight -- sometimes we even got paid.

In 1780, the Persians developed Steel, the Indians acquired Steel, Corporation, and Communism, while the Persians acquired communism as well -- how come management doesn’t get these goodies for us?

So in 1782, we sent Willie the weasel into Akkad so we could be United. India starts the United Nations, management tells us that we can only have one, so the 15 million of us respond where it hurts.

We go on strike.

After all the work we put in so far, after our sacrifices & going without entertainment, a quarter of the cities end up in disruption.

In 1784, management begins to get the message -- a silk truck rolls into the ‘City worth 212 in $$. More trucks are mobilized, and negotiations occur -- the people get ready to go back to work with some new agreements. The English throw out their king & decide to follow our example of letting the people rule. We know that they’re dogs so we send Charlie company in to take them out, but the government, the high & mighty wahoos in the Senate, tell us to back off.

In 1786, the English sneak attack, slaying an innocent corps of engineers. The Babylonians discover the Cure for Cancer, and immediately set out to establish the United Nations -- but we beat them to it. Our combined union strength will now be manifested as United, and the Indians & Babylonians abandon their efforts.

In 1788, the Persians discover refining, India discovers the Theory & embarks on embellishments of Isaac Newton or some such high falootin thing -- maybe there’s something good about that but we’re thinking a real wonder might be a great dam, with serious power generation like the Babylonians have just started work on…so the trucks continue to roll.

In 1790, we slip another truck into Vikpang for $290 worth of silk -- you know sometimes you just gotta have a little of the finer stuff.

1792 -- Two small events happen which lead to bigger events later. Charlie company gets the OK & some extra cavalry & stomps Brighton for revenge and $75. Billy Anderson gets into Ashur & sends back the secret of electronics. But there is a cost -- Billy didn’t make it back.

1794 -- The concerted efforts of the union, in the memory of Billy Anderson pay off -- a dozen trucks (and many more willing to add) combine to grant the union of wondrous power -- the Anderson Dam (and the Babies switch to a worship of Isaac). A couple of extra trucks pop in for $266 & $272 worth of goods. We also almost didn’t acknowledge the efforts of Slim Jim & his sacrifice to get us the knowledge of Steel from Madras.

1796 -- Easy company rides in & takes out Richmond -- the dogs of England will bark no more.

Just a side note for the Duke -- the science is about halfway to a new discovery with the choice still open.

Is it just me or is there some wrinkle with D+1? I move some citizens around, everything looks fine and then the following turn 13 cities blow up. It looks like I was fine tuning with a pitchfork & a 12 lb. sledge.

Sorry Tim, not truely impressive -- only two out of three.:(

Originally posted by Old n Slow
Is it just me or is there some wrinkle with D+1? I move some citizens around, everything looks fine and then the following turn 13 cities blow up. It looks like I was fine tuning with a pitchfork & a 12 lb. sledge.

Sorry Tim, not truely impressive -- only two out of three.:(

I had that happen in my first go around from 1600 (the 2.7.8 version that was replaced by Kev's mayhem) where a ton of cities lost celebrations one turn. Eventually I figured out that in fiddling the tax rate to check the beaker requirements, I had apparently lowered the luxury rate by 10%. Because we have so many black-hats, luxuries have a huge impact on happiness, so losing just a little bit can easily turn a content city to much unhappiness. Don't know if yours was the same thing or not.

And hold your head up high! Getting 2 of the three is nothing to be ashamed of (and the general consensus seems to be that you got the right two!). I figured 2 would be difficult and 3 would be nearly impossible. And on top of that, no English. Well done!

O&S - GREAT job at getting the wonders we needed. Looks like we're back on top with little doubt left. Agree with others that you picked the right two to get and left us in perfect shape.

Why do I have a feeling that the Duke/Andu combination will leave us with something like a single competitive city and a nearly completed spaceship....

Finished an unusually productive round of turns ;) ; I'll get everything written up this evening and post tomorrow.

So ... I've got the urge for another Succession Game, and a couple of ideas to make it more challenging. How about Deity +2, with the following opponents: Russians (aggressive/militaristic), Zulus (aggressive); Vikings (aggressive/expanisionist); Spanish (aggressive/militaristic); Greeks (expanisionist/militaristic); and Mongols (aggressive/expansionist/militaristic). You can note that that the perfectionist Civs in our current game (Babys, Persians, and Indians) haven't geographically expanded to their full potential; while the English and Celts -- both expansionist -- both established far more cities early on. I was actually hoping that the English might have survived until the late game; it looked like interesting terrain for modern warfare. While AEM civ's aren't known for extremely productive research programs, D+2 would help compensate for this.

Then, to give these Civs room to expand, play on Large Map/Large Land/Continental; and play it to the death: Bloodlust.
I think this would make a fairly compelling game. And, it would increase the chances to fulfill Kev's Ragnorak wish of a Nuclear confrontation ;) ;) .

Just a thought: Don't start the game in bloodlust mode, leave a spaceship option open, but exclude the humans from using it "by rule". That way, it gives an opportunity for the AIs to launch if they are ready and gives them another option for victory since the AI's have so much trouble gaining complete victory by conquest.

Originally posted by Andu Indorin
Finished an unusually productive round of turns ;) ; I'll get everything written up this evening and post tomorrow.

So ... I've got the urge for another Succession Game, and a couple of ideas to make it more challenging. How about Deity +2,

[snip]

Then, to give these Civs room to expand, play on Large Map/Large Land/Continental; and play it to the death: Bloodlust.
I think this would make a fairly compelling game. And, it would increase the chances to fulfill Kev's Ragnorak wish of a Nuclear confrontation ;) ;) .

In addition to a large map (10,000 squares) I think a map shape like 200x50 (or maybe 165x60) with 200 squares from pole to pole could make the game more challenging than e.g. 100x100 or 125x80 (80 pole to pole). It would mean an AI civ (probably) very far from the 'human civ' so it would have time and opportunity to get very big and developed. Regarding barbarians, the way the current game has been going it has actually been advantageous to have barbarian wrath (lots of NONE units).

And yes, I'd love to play a succession game at deity+2 similar to Andu's ideas.

I am wondering if you know when the new game to be starting and will new players to be included or is for only old players?

The Reign of Gustavus Adolphus, the Midnight Lion, Scourge of the Middle East, a Once and Future King

The Norns had decreed the coming of Gustavus Adolphus. But Loki broke his bonds and wreaked havoc upon the Northern World, and the Norns respun the strands of Fate. Years of diligent rebuilding followed, for much damage was wrought by Loki. But when the painful process of reconstruction had reached its conclusion, the Norns once again decreed the coming of Gustavus Adolphus to fulfill the historic destiny of the Viking peoples. Known as “The Midnight Lion,” his reign brought unprecedent military conquests to the Viking civilization.

1796 (0). Upon ascension of the throne, Gustavus empties the treasury and commences a rush building program of veteran Alpine brigades, Engineer battalions, Freight, Transports; 9 gold left in treasury. Taxes are set to 4.3.3. (Inc/Sci/Lux).

1798 (1). Espionage is discovered. Taxes set to 6.3.1. Ferry established between VikVik and TimOna. Four freight deliveries for 1424. Gustavus authorizes his new spies to commence recruiting Barbarian Cannoneers. Cruiser from KevCester destroys Barbarian masses near KevCester. Vikings win cavalry engagement near Vikborg. Under plans developed by Gustavus, initial landing made against Persians between Gordium and Pasargadae, composed of two Engineers, veteran Alpine brigade, two veteran Rifle brigade and Spy. Four Persians Cavalry assault; three are defeated but a fourth destroys a Rifle brigade. Reports are received that Indians have nearly completed Newton's College.

1800 (2). Machine Tools are discovered. Gustavus authorizes rush building program of veteran Artillery regiments. Spy steals Combustion stolen from the Persians. AnduSigtuna founded to establish ferry between TimTanig and KevDing; named in honor of Gustavus’s patron at the Freemason Lodge, a practice that will continue throughout his reign. Freight deliveries for 1668. Taxes to 5.3.2. Second landing between Gordium and Pasargadae, composed of ten Cavalry brigades, four Rifle brigades, four spies, and supporting freight. Two Persian Cavalry brigades and a Cannon regiment are destroyed near Pasargadae. Another Persian Cavalry brigade defeated when it attacks Rifle Brigade. It is reported that two Persian cities have nearly completed Newton's College, but when the Indians complete, the Persians must abandon.

1802 (3). Amphibious Warfare is discovered. Four freight deliveries of 1758. Last Engineer battalions are rush built to raise the number of Engineer battalions to fifty; when not building railways, these Engineers are being specially trained for military operations. AnduOdense founded near Gordium to aid in build up of forces arrayed against Persians. Cavalry brigades defeat two Cannon regiments in front of Gordium, while a Cavalry brigade defeats its counterpart near Pasargadae. Gustavus orders an Engineer battalion to to build railway to bypass Gordium; these Combat Engineers die heroically. Thorough reconnaissance of Persian cities reveals 20 Alpine brigades and 16 Rifle brigades defending their seven principal cities. Aided by the covert operations of Viking spies, Viking Alpine and Rifle brigades infiltrate the Persian civilization and seize unoccupied fortifications to isolate Antioch and Gordium. Another attack by Persian Cavalry defeated near Pasargadae. Elsewhere, veteran Alpine brigade advances on the Persian city of Leeds and defeats that city's garrison.

1804 (4). Minitiarization is discovered. Four freight delivered for 1963. Taxes set to 6.4.0. Veteran Alpine brigade advances into the now undefended city of Leeds, plundering 260 gold and acquiring the Theory of Gravity. Gustavus assumes personal command of military forces in Persia. To prepare for the eventual invasion of India, Gustavus leads two Artillery regiments and four veteran Cavalry brigades, in assault of Antioch, defeating a garrison of three Alpine brigades, one Rifle brigade, one Engineer battalion, and 1 transport. Antioch is stormed, and 210 gold and Refining are aquired. A Spy is lost following destruction of Factory at Gordium; subsequent Cavalry raid into all productive terrain of that city disrupts that city’s support for its garrison.* Leeds and Antioch renamed AnduLeeds and AnduIoch, establishing the practice renaming all captured cities after Gustavus’s patron. Port facitilies rush built at TimSea and Antioch. Persian counterattacks by Cavalry brigade, Alpine brigade, and Cannon regiment are all defeated. Indians develop Atomic Theory.

1806 (5). In honor of Gustavus’s first military victories, We Love Gustavus Day is celebrated throughout the Viking civilization. Automobile is discovered. Rush building program of Superhighways, Libraries, and Universities commence at OldVikDukTimKev, VikingCity, TimTanig, and TimPhilly. Four freight deliveries for 2213. Artillery destroys remaining Alpine brigade at Gordium, and that city is captured for 936 gold. Spy lost following destruction of Factory at Tarsus; subsequent Cavalry raid disrupts all production and support*. Viking Cavalry wins an engagement outside Persopolis. Artillery regiments attack garrisons of Persopolis and Arbela, destroying five defending Alpine brigades and four Rifle brigades, but two Artillery regiments are lost in the effort. Gustavus authorizes Battleships to be rush built at AnduIoch and TimSea. Persians develop the Automobile; Persian counterattacks by Cavalry brigade, Alpine brigade, and Destroyer are all defeated. While Gustavus is at the front fighting the Persians, the Senate back in TimDiff establishes a Cease Fire with the Babylonians.

1808 (6). Mass Production is discovered. Five freight delivered for 5089 gold. Battleship rush built at KevEter. The build up of military forces against the Persians is completed; at his disposal, Gustavus Adolphus has 26 Cavalry brigades, 11 Alpine brigades, 12 Rifle brigades, and 16 Artillery regiments with which to prosecute his war against the Persians. Artillery regiments reduce the remaining Tarsus garrison of three Alpine brigades, losing one Artillery regiment. Battleship TimSea annihilates two Alpine brigades at Sidon; Cavalry brigades destroying remaining Engineer battalion and Transport. Artillery regiments reduce Persopolis garrison of one Alpine brigade and one Rifle brigade. In the field, two Cavalry brigades, one Alpine brigade, and two Cannon regiments are destroyed. Tarsus, Arbela, and Sidon are stormed for 1371 gold.

1810 (7). Computers are discovered. Ten freight delivered for 9195 gold. Taxes are reset to 0.4.6. Gustavus authorizes the rush building of SETI and many barracks. The KevCester Peasant Revolt finally comes to an end. Artillery regiments reduce remaining Persian garrisons of seven Alpine and five Rifle brigades in Pasargadae, Susa, Persopolis, and Bactria. All are stormed for 1513 gold, plus Adam Smith’s Trading Co. and Women’s Suffrage. An Alpine brigade razes the undefended Persian city of Tyre. All Persian Partisans surrender to Gustavus Adolphus. Persian Civilization comes to an end.

1812 (8). Andu’sKnot (ne Gordium) builds SETI. Mobile Warfare and Robotics are discovered*. Six freight delivered for 5610 gold. Preparations commence for the invasion of India; rush builds of four Armor brigades, four Marine brigades, and eight Howitzer regiments; Battleship rush built at AnduJarlshof. AnduJuborg founded as transit point for forces in Persia to move on Kolhapur; AnduHedeby founded to provide link with the Vikings “English” dominions, and alternate route for the transfer of units. Initial transit of units are made. Battleship AnduIoch destroys Jaipur garrison of one Alpine brigade, continues toward Kohlapur. Barbarians develop an Alphabet.

1814 (9). Flight. Refrigeration. Eleven freight delivered for 9056 gold. Rush builds of four Armor, four Marine brigades, and eight Howitzer regiments. AnduGard is founded across the straight from Kolhapur, and engineers complete railways from AnduJuborg and AnduGard to OldBrighton and points eastward. Tim’s Marine Corps carries out Amphibious Assault against Kolhapur*, destroying three Rifle brigades and capturing that city; 262 gold and Atomic Theory are acquired. Four more transports arrive, yielding an initial landing of 4 Armor brigades, 4 Marine brigades, 8 Alpine brigades, 8 Howitzers regiments, 4 Combat Engineer battalions, with supporting Spies and Freight. Howitzers quickly eliminate three Indian Partisan cadres. Indian government is overthrown and replaced by a Republic.

1816 (10). Radio. Advanced Flight. Six freight delivered for 5699 gold. Six more transports arrive at Kolhapur, carrying four Armor brigades, 5 Alpine brigades, 8 Howitzers regiments, 10 Artillery regiments, 16 Combat Engineer battalions. Vikings break Ceasefire with Babylonians as Battleship KevEter destroys KevBridge garrison of one Alpine Brigade and sinks Babylonian destroyer. KevBridge liberated from Babylonians for 183 gold. Battleship AnduIoch sinks two more Babylonian destroyers. Task Force Karachi sails from KevEter and AnduJarlshof; Kev’s Marine Corps carries out Amphibious Assault, destroying Karachi garrison of four Rifle brigades. Karachi captured for 263 gold. Combat Engineer battalions complete railways to Akkad, Delhi, and Lahore. Howitzers eliminate Akkad garrison of two Alpine brigades, captures the Cure for Cancer from the Babylonians. Blitzkrieg against the Indians. Howitzers and Artillery destroy garrisons of Bangalore, Bombay, Calcutta, Delhi, Lahore, and Madras, eliminating six Alpine brigades, seventeen Rifle brigades. Supported by Armor brigades in open terrain and Alpine brigades in closed terrain to thwart partisan activity, all six cities fall for 957 gold plus Newton’s College. Jaipur, last bastion of the Indians, descends into chaos, and Gustavus decides to acquire chear rather than raze it. Indian partisans everywhere surrender to Gustavus Adolphus. Indian civilization is destroyed. Elsewhere, veteran Cavalry of the Persian campaign liberate KevNarfon and KevRow from the Barbarians.

[* some interesting notes to follow ...]

Thank you, Andu, for the lesson in Power Democracy.

Quite the roller-coaster we have going on with this. Looks like we're onto the next exciting game...

I'd vote for just ending it. I'm not one for prolonging the inevitable (when you play as slowly as I do, there isn't enough time to nurse an end-game!)

Andu -- terrific job -- :king: I’d say more but extra superlatives won’t increase the high sentiment.

Duke your choice for a finish -- I was happy to carry a banner for a short distance without falling.

D+2? Count me in. As for the choice of opponents, the list is fine, but I have a question. What sort of civs would put the higher pressure on science & wonder building? The Vikes will, the Mongols & Zulus much less so as Far as I can tell.

Top Bottom