[BTS] Deity stumbling I

Snowbird

Prince
Okay, so I braved up to try deity once more. Most likely that will not end nice.

My guesses would be - eaten by barbs, boxed to two cities, loosing the war. Mot likely one of these.

Start is below
Spoiler :

Augustus of China (close to Quin anyway)
Fractal, no events, no huts, unrestricted leaders (I do not play with restricted leaders normally - too boring)

I sort of want to move on wine, but giving two hills as industrous... Also wine is not a bad tile to work, once i manage to improve it.

Attachments

• OWL BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    33 KB · Views: 64
Why can you see all the land?

Hm.... Mids
Spoiler :

I don't want to move on stone honestly. Most likely settle in current place. (I contemplated moving to initial warrior position and pray for map being GLH friendly, but I am not that crazy).

Also great wall, Ind + stone = barb free times.
Always good on fractal, unless you meet AIs very fast.
Let's be honest if I do not settle on stone... no way I am going to connect it in time.

Still do not want to settle on stone...

Also great wall, Ind + stone = barb free times.
Always good on fractal, unless you meet AIs very fast.

Not only barbfree, but also interesting options with that Great Spy. Love those games. If I only had time to play this, it could be an interesting comparison.

6+ turns to build (still need 60 raw hammers)
~9 worker tuns to connect

So somewhere at ~t20 i need masonry (and soon wheel) in hand...so worker does... corn into quarry into 2xroad into greenhill mine...

Is where a grand design plan for GSpy if isolated? that dude can't bulb, iirc. otherwise i do like idea of using spies, but would probably need to look up the details.

Last edited:
Loaded your game. Settled on stone. Teched Masonry in 12 turns and also worker finished by turn 12 to improve corn and grasshill. Great Wall in by turn 29.

Perhaps I find time to continue this evening.

Edit: Sure, if isolated, the gambit loses it sting.

You have great starting techs, could tech masonry + wheel first then it's nps.
Sure it's not free and depends on the map, but deity barbs can really cause delays later and it's usually paying back easily.
It's just one option, but a good one.

Played to turn 36, got GW. I had to do my best micromanaging up to building warrior to 14h and part building settler to get overflow a stone bonus.

Good thing I listened, so far met Saladin, who... has not met anyone (it seems that way from espionage), there is unhealthy amount of land in SE... likely would have been eaten by barbs.

On turn 11 warrior barely survived barb wolf... at 0.3health.
So the settler will be in 5 turns.
Spoiler :

known land

(dot in the south is for me to properly see where clam cross could be -- for scouting purposes)
Saladin is eastwards of know land, I believe

potential western dotmap

I think, pinkish spots are lots of better (3 resources first ring horse helps with wb and then coastal fish over second ring dry corn), although second city is tad further.
There might be more land in SW too. These archers should be coming from somewhere

Looking good, Snowbird. Look forward how it plays out. Sally should be pleased when you can join his religion. Even friendly after a while.

Why can you see all the land?

Coast gives better view.
Warrior 1E makes much sense before settling decisions :)

Think he means that you can practically see the entire map. It's dark, but it's there. Possibly because it was checked out in World Builder, and hasn't faded out entirely yet.

Good luck with the game. Deity is rough.

Think he means that you can practically see the entire map. It's dark, but it's there. Possibly because it was checked out in World Builder, and hasn't faded out entirely yet.
Right reasons, iirc, it was wordbuilder check and map regenerate. I liked leader/civ, but not so much starting position.

By ~1000 BC I squeezed out mids and five cities. Would probably need to get to writing by deploying representation citizens. Seems like island in the west. Seems to be easy mode.

Great stuff! I really like reading about these diety attempts!

Agustus of china seems to be a fun combination. I like his traits, and picking up AGG instead of fishing opens up many options early. I would had SiP'ed.. and even tho I seldom do it. GW seems like a nice option in this position with this starting techs.. As @Fippy have mentioned and everyone that have ever tried the fractal diety... barbs can.. ruin your day. I would do it for the barb defence.. :)

The worker turns will be used to the max as well. Farm 5 turns, quarry 6 turns, roads 4 turns. Giving a some nice hammers for both IND and IMP trait.

Just amazing how many techs you manage to get via espionage.

What kind of techs did you pick up? How many spys did you build? How bad did it affect your diplo? Just curious.. I have.. never gone for a Gspy game :blush: and the fear of a "useless" Gspy is also why I seldom build the GW. Maybe this is a perfect game to have a test run with :)

Last edited:
Those Great Spies can be great at times, and you get a lot of techs for them - I've tried it in some Always War games. Often you can trade for the techs anyway, making the GSpy superfluous, but on Deity where we tend to lag behind it can probably be useful. Especially if you get most of the bonuses: 50% stationary, 20%(?) trade route, 20% (?) religion. In the right circumstances it's more efficient than teching yourself. If we got :espionage: multiplier buildings earlier, and more chances for GSpies, maybe such an economy would be more popular.

Have run a testgame.. which went really well.. (for some reason my test games usually goes really well...)

Got GW mids and a GSPY. Infiltrated saladin and started to pick techs.. cool.. really cool stuff :)
Now im at a crossroad.. who to attack.. I also want to make a diety video for my channel.. and i have recorded my start.. about 1,5 houres.. I got 5 cities.
Bbut after reading about ur games.. Im not sure it is winnable.. without dragging on for many many hours..

Guess i just have to keep playing this game.. to find out :)

Great map btw! The open discussion deity games with a interesting start is definitely one of my favorite reads. Great tips aswell! :)

Top Bottom