Deity University - Justinian

Regarding defence:

Spoiler :

I kinda think you can do well enough with warriors on the whole in this game. Mostly because your north does not have to be fogbusted at all, and a few warriors get you a long way to your south (good defensive terrain, and narrow land).

I did however still add 1 chariot (and can quickly build more) just to be on the safe side, and because it's quicker for damagecontrol...

@duckweed/all regarding defence

Spoiler :

I just checked my save at 1400BC where I played the first section up to and barbs killed 1 lion/2 warriors/1 archer. Don't think I saw any more than that which is why i felt quite comfortable without too many units. In fact at 1400BC I only have 3 warriors/1 chariot. Just hope the AI don't come calling. :)

Generally with proper fogbustig you shouldn't have to many problems with barbs. Now if we had lots of room for them to come from like the Lincoln game I would have prioritised military more. Even that one I had a lot less than most people. :)

Doesn't always work though as I remember one of the immortal univeristy games where I had an archer attack me across the river into my capital at approx 3% odds and won. Game over for me. :lol:

Edit. Just another though about fogbusters I have noticed the barbs tend to avoid attacking them these days if I presume the odds are to low. Any ideas?

First 51 (oops) turns
Spoiler :
Sorry for the short post. Nothing really interesting so far, hoping for TGL as we seem to have quite alot of optins for costal cities. Need to hurry to bed so sadly no image, second round is more interesting so will post some more there.

Attachments

• Justinian DeUni 51T BC-1960.CivBeyondSwordSave
    102.4 KB · Views: 36
barbs
Spoiler :

I don't think I saw any barbs with 1 warrior just east and 1 warrior to the south. There was a southern barb city which together with my warrior fogbusted the area.

wonders
Spoiler :

I was wondering how you all managed to get the Great Lighthouse when it went in 1800 BC in my game, didn't know about the AI holding off for you. Obviously that means you want to put hammers in ASAP even if you want to finish something else first. And even just to hold off the AI I guess it could be useful for say the Aesthetics wonders if you want to delay them for fail gold.

barbs:
Spoiler :
After seeing what other people built for defense I realize I overbuilt myself. Built two warriors, 4 archers and one chariot, thing is I needed almost all of them it seemed like. How on earth do you survive with only two-three warriors? I had barb cities being built down south which generated a steady supply of barbs, by turn 60 (I played on) I had an archer with 10 exp already...

wonders:
Spoiler :
I tried out different openings to try and see how good I could get with the start, TGL went pretty late in all three tries I did. One I got it myself around turn 65-70, once I was one turn to late (due to some mismanage on my part) and once I just skipped building it to see if what dinding said would hold true in may game. I felt it made no real difference, probably since the ai/ais already had started building the wonder when I started it, I just chopped and slaved it to overtake them.

general comment:
Spoiler :
How do people plan to get their research going in this game? The land down south is not the best ever so I guess I will try and use some cottages, combined with TGL to slowly move towards liberalism and hopefully I will not get too many great merchants so that I can bulb my way there.

Round 1

Spoiler :

I wandered a bit and ended up settling on the riverside plains hill south of our start position. Second city went between ivory, rice, and gems for some juicy commerce.

At Turn 52 I had two cities but teching was going well. Tech path:

Agriculture
Hunting
AH
Mining
BW
Pottery

The south looks unclaimed and a few barb cities are already there to slow down AI expansion. One city on the peninsula will claim the horse for much needed Chariots. I'm going to leave the northeast to Toku.

Not sure whether I should appease Toku. He founded Judaism and I always find him dangerous, but he's also the worst enemy of a couple of other AIs, so I don't want to cuddle up to him too much.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. On Turn 74 I got killed (description below; no real spoilers)

Spoiler :

Toku DOWs on me and easily captures my gems city. I don't even have anything but warriors! I quickly hook up my horse but without IW, chariots make a rather weak counterstrike force. My noble but doomed army of 4 chariots is crushed by Toku's chariot / sword / axe stack.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, WK DOWed on me the same turn, but fortunately he only sent a single Axeman.

I'm not sure Archery would have helped. Unless I teched it really early, I doubt I would have had enough to defend against a stack of 7 units. Still, I'm not sure what else I should have done. Perhaps Archery was the way.

Attachments

• Beestar - Justinian DU BC-1920.CivBeyondSwordSave
    104.4 KB · Views: 32
@Sleepless

Spoiler :

When I mentioned about RNG, it was not only about battle RNG, but also the barbarian spawn rate and how many barbarian units decided to head toward your culture border. It's also quite different that they were archers or warriors. The decision whether you need better units for defense has to be determined ~turn 30. I don't think there's strong evident that southern area is safe at that time. It's not surprise that some players can encounter more severe barbarian problem in the same map. Personally I am more prone to safer play style.

@duckweed

Spoiler :

I probably do take to many chances. :) Seems the only way I can keep up on deity although the only deity games I tend to play are the forum ones as I generally don't like to micro manage to much. :)

@lynxx

Spoiler :

For most of the game I'm going to rely on trade route income. A few cottages in the capital and a couple more scattered around. Probably have to build research/wealth along the way. Very big problem comes with the AI going into merc. Suffered badly in the Lincoln game with that. :)

@beestar

Spoiler :

Unlucky with the very early declaration. Not a lot you can do that early but walls and a few archers should survive the first wave. I've not played enough deity games to know how to cope with an early attack though.

**Not sure how to post thumbnail pictures in the spoiler - if it's a problem PM me or just scroll quickly past - shouldn't be a problem at this point **

I was unable to play R2 of the last deity uni due to study requirements on time, and in my attempt to catch up found myself far behind posts that had already been made, so I chose not to continue - honestly deity is above my level in a normal game w/ no spoilers but I find that playing on and reading on helps me understand the human timing and the AI tempo...

In any case - the series is wonderful Kossin thanks for starting it up again and do not be disheartened by the lack of posts starting in the medieval times - the thread views will give you a much better picture of the number of people who still want to learn how to win in Civ 4 on the Deity level!

Before reading any posts on this Deity university I have played my first 50 turns:

Spoiler :

I settled in place; discovered in short order Wang Kon (Northwest) and Toku (Northeast)... sent my initial warrior towards toku.

The initial warrior was killed by a barbarian something.

Research was Ag > Hunting (for rice then ivory) > Archery (defense) > Mining > BW > AH (still not done with that)

Build order was Worker > Warrior (he's fogbusting towards the south - killed something barbarian to even the score) > Archer (killed a barbarian something) > Settler > Archer > Archer (still in prod.)

Settler was used to found Thessalonica - I decided the capital w/ two ivory is a good hammer city - made commerce highest priority - sent settler to grab gems + seafood and building monument first. Next priority is likely to block the isthmus to the west and hope that 1.) there's noone south of me and 2.) toku doesn't grab those cows to the N.E. -- sent 2nd archer to the west location.

Ghandi showed up from the N.W. at some point, but it was pretty late so I don't think he's too close.

Settlers are cheap but there is a lot of green land between me and Toku - so I will have to see how quickly the Imperialistic trait can get me a gift city vs. a city (blocking city -?-) of my own.

Attached two quick snapshots (Territory and Territory + Resources): **Not sure how to make the thumbnails embedded in post - respond or PM me if it's a problem**

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 12.11.17 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 12.11.17 AM.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 12.11.09 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 12.11.09 AM.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 96
In order to hide pictures and keep available space for download on this server, it is mach better
to use some other site to save pictures, like http://photobucket.com/

Then you can use Image link inside spoiler section.

Round 1 (turns 0-50)

Spoiler :

Sent the warrior to check for seafood and then settled 1E, which I assume a lot of people did, finding the lucky gems.

Met every AI between t9 and t16. This will be a crowded map but there's still quite a bit of room for barbarians to spawn from what I see.

After worker first, I work the second Ivory tile while waiting on the farmed rice, building some warriors to fogbust.

I did see a lot of barb activity around so I opted for Hunting>Archery after Ag>Mining.
Here is my initial fogbusting team:

Got the triple food city down after an Archer was produced. This will be a good GP farm early on while Constantinople spams settlers/workers.

Dunno about everyone but Zara got Alphabet super-early, t46!

By t50 I have a few more Archers out, barbarians were no problem whatsoever and I have another settler completing this coming turn.

I'm going to grab as much land as I can here without crashing the economy. Horses were in the original BFC so perhaps we'll see some Cataphract action later on. I should remember to focus espionage now before I forget.

@Udey1

Spoiler :

I expect you managed to build the Glh then. :) I didn't manage Lib till 375AD but had to self tech all of Edu but did manage to bulb part of Lib and trade for half of philo. earliest for me as well though. :) Then again 2 people already had Nat/Edu so not a lot of trades to be had.

Two days without a post? Perhaps time for turns 50 to 100?

I have already played that far and would like some constructive feedback on my play so would like to post as soon as possible. If noone complains I will post my own update tomorrow. Hope to see a few more updates till then ;).

^^Fair enough. Although I didn't take the time to look through every save... it's been about a week anyway.

Round II (turns 50-100) is now officially open!

• You may now openly talk about Round I (turns 0-50) but anything from Round II should be spoilered!
  • Round I submissions are still accepted [there will never be a closing date for rounds] but beware that there might be some spoiler information posted from now on.
  • It would be greatly appreciated if any spoiler information from beyond turn 100 be kept out of the thread until Round III is opened. If you don't, the next game you generate will spawn Deity Shaka with BFC copper 5 tiles away in semi-isolation!

At 375BC

Spoiler :

This game has been excellent ever since I popped copper at Thessilonica ~~1480. I spammed axes out of the capital and sent them south. I closed borders with Mansa and conquered one barb city to block and founded another on the marble to complete the block.

One final barb city to the west of those had 4 workers in it. SCORE!

My loser city above the horses helped spam workers and settlers. Horse+Hill made it crank out settlers at a good pace.

I won the GLH gambit- 1320 completion date/all forests chopped. Close I would wager but then again my oracle went 1830 so good luck everyone else.

I built cities all over my so-so land, GLH covering the bill.

With my block complete from Mansa and Toku I began building Glib in Thessilonica. Marble city and a whip will get it for me. (guess where my GP farm will be?)

Music in 1 turn. With almost everything coastal it has been a quick teching game. Ghandi is oddly behind the power curve this time and Toku is in wonder mode. how strange..

The capital is preparing for a Buro center. Gems and all these cottages will do well.

My 1 surviving axe is close to level 3. One more barb and I can lock in HE.

Currently Confucian... just for convenience, I'll switch to Judaism once I have it spread more.

Can't wait to post round 3 and some fun saves. I'll get a photobucket account soon I swear.

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    186.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Thessalonica0000.JPG
    Thessalonica0000.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 136
  • world overview justinian0000.JPG
    world overview justinian0000.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 143
  • constantinople justinian0000.JPG
    constantinople justinian0000.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 106
So here goes. Round 2

Spoiler :

Just had to load up the game again to refresh my memory. :) Main aim was to get the GLh. Tok building the Mids 1800BC didn't bode to well. Oracle went 1760. To save money I didn't spread out to soon. I settled my 3rd city by the cows blocking Tok in1960BC. Then about another 1000 years before settling anymore.

Tech path finished BW then pot/writing/arch. Good news in that I built the GLh in 1440BC giving me the ability to settle cities without them costing to much. My 4th city was built more as a block to mansa in 1120BC closely followed by a city picking up the deer/fish/silver. Then a couple more on the coast just South of the capital. Couldn't have done this without the GLh. (Or I don't think so anyway. :)) After Archery went to Aesthetics. First bit of excitement/luck for me.

I had 2 chariots down there hoping to pick it up but not very hopeful There was one damaged archer and 1 healthy. The healthy one moved out hence my emergency whip of another warrior in Nicaea. So a nice barb city to add to my total. 8 cities in 800BC was looking good. I had 1 turn on Aesth left so was able to trade next turn for some techs. I picked up Alpha/Math/IW/Calender/Poly/Med not sure if I teched one of the last 2. :)

First war started with Charlie attacking Mansa and then shortly after Zara attacking Charlie. Religion wise I had to keep out of it as my 2 Northern neighbours were Hindu, Eastern Conf and Southern Buddhist.

Although I had marble in one of my cities I still didn't know masonry so I had traded for a spare marble from Charlie about 1200BC hoping to get the Parth/GLib duo.

600BC

Picked up my second barb city. The couple of workers in there helped as well. Although my worker count was pretty good for me. :)

Problem with also selling my ivory to Charlie. He built the SoZeus in 550BC as I was hoping to pick up some failure gold. 14 for the SoZ and 140 approx for the Parth (450BC). Was hoping to get the latter. Also got my first GS in 575BC. I didn't know whether to bulb philo (when I had the techs) or academy. Hindsight I should have bulbed but didn't realise what my tech rate was going to be like in a few hundred years.

Not sure about anyone elses game but in mine Charlie doesn't have iron so I traded him mine as I certainly didn't want Zara to get to big. I think this worked out quite well overall. :)

Tech path carried on to Lit, Priest, currently on CoL.

With the amount of land available wasn't planning on attacking anyone soon. Just grow my cities and fill in a few of the gaps whilst heading for Lib and probably Cataphracts against Tok. Capital was well on the way to building the GLib, with a couple of chops going into it I was hopeful of picking that one up.

Tech situation

Relations

Lands.

All looking good although my cities aren't the greatest the trade routes were bringing in plenty of cash. Just about to finish CoL which would enable me to pick up some more techs. Note WK had 5 turns left on Philo so if I had kept my GS I probably would have beat him to it. On the other hand an academy isn't a bad thing. :)

Plus points Tok and WK are small so should make reasonable targets for when I eventually head for war.

So for me a very successful 50 turns. From 2 - 9 cities, the GLh and a good tech position. Now to head for Lib.

Attachments

• Sleepless Justinian DU BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    179.1 KB · Views: 47
@Sleepless

I am highly amused at how similar our play is this game.

Spoiler :

Get the Glh and spam cities. :) Always a winning combination.

Also from what you posted about Lib I expect they carry on in the same vein. :lol:

Top Bottom