Design: Game Options

i would REALLY REALLY like an option disabling astronomical events, they are seriously getting on my nerves...

The astronomical events were added for a design reason. I needed a signifcant sample of events that wouldn't have any requirement. They could happen anytime during the game. The reason we need them is becqause without them if there is only a small sample of events that can happen (events that do things) then you cycle on the same event over and over and end up with things like the obelisk event happening 8 times in one game and such.

Now with the astronomical events we dont have the repeating events issue anymore. Now that does mean that sometimes you will get and event without an effect. But thats better than the alternative. If we allowed an option to disable the astronomy events it would go back to repeating events. In fact it would be twice as bad as it was because at the same time I added the astronomy events I doubled the event chances (i always wanted a higher event chance, but I couldnt do it unless I had a sample of always available events to draw from).

Anyway, thats the reason they are in the game.

The astronomical events were added for a design reason. I needed a signifcant sample of events that wouldn't have any requirement. They could happen anytime during the game. The reason we need them is becqause without them if there is only a small sample of events that can happen (events that do things) then you cycle on the same event over and over and end up with things like the obelisk event happening 8 times in one game and such.

Now with the astronomical events we dont have the repeating events issue anymore. Now that does mean that sometimes you will get and event without an effect. But thats better than the alternative. If we allowed an option to disable the astronomy events it would go back to repeating events. In fact it would be twice as bad as it was because at the same time I added the astronomy events I doubled the event chances (i always wanted a higher event chance, but I couldnt do it unless I had a sample of always available events to draw from).

ahhhhh thats fair enough, makes a lot of sense now :) however, the events that make desert and tundra anoy me the most, is it possible to make such events only affect the civ that had those event occur to them? not the whole world? having half your fat cross change into desert or tundra in the first 20 turns are crippling. and i didnt even get those events, it was the AI O_o

yea, or design a lot more events without prereqs. so you can dilute the frequency of astronomical events ;)

yea, or design a lot more events without prereqs. so you can dilute the frequency of astronomical events ;)

Definitely a solution I'd prefer, ideally with more chains and long-term events. The rate of precession on Erebus must be astronomical (hah!) for constellations to come into and out of prominence with such frequency.

I just want an option for no Barbatos...he's far too annoying. I'd rather it honestly be made into an event that spawns him and the ruins (some explorers have found some ruins and have awoken an ancient evil...). Far too many games he destroys or cripples civs that start too close.

I think there is a danger in presenting to many game options.
First, thank you for this long statement. This I had in mind, it's nice for the individualistic user, but very complex for the overall game and will become practically not comparable for all players any more. Also one option can alter the strategic term completely.

So general advices and hints will become more and more useless.

But the more you could tailormade your own game play the better for each of us egoists.

Most of the AI's dont pursue the mage tech line. Thats interntional for now since other branches are so much more profitable for them.
That's interesting because I felt, having mages with e.g. fire II and archmages with air III gives very big advantages in defence and attack as well. Others such as law III are nice to have, but not so decisive. And war is of great importance.

Does a strategic map of the AI exist? And if yes where is it? I know, this could give us humans a very good advantage against perfect calculation cycles etc.

The astronomical events were added for a design reason.
Frankly speaking in all my games I cancel the random events option.
1. Because of their sometime great influence and disturbance of my plans at the very moment.
2. I found out that in many games the AI tricks (e.g. it exactely knows all my moves even when they are "hidden" and uses this knowledge against me.) very much to be a player of a same attitude.

Example in FfH: When letting a worker unprotected very sure a barbarian will come and kill him exactely with no slow approach to him before or similar. Protecting him the turn before no attack will occur.

It's a great problem to program and weigh strategic issues. So when programming a difficult game it's very much easier to let the AI trick than to program a good strategic thinking AI.

That's interesting because I felt, having mages with e.g. fire II and archmages with air III gives very big advantages in defence and attack as well. Others such as law III are nice to have, but not so decisive. And war is of great importance.

Does a strategic map of the AI exist? And if yes where is it? I know, this could give us humans a very good advantage against perfect calculation cycles etc.

Mages and archmages would be a big advantage to the AI in defence and offence but they lack the knowledge to upgrade adepts, making the magic tech options fairly useless for the AI...

Mages and archmages would be a big advantage to the AI in defence and offence but they lack the knowledge to upgrade adepts, making the magic tech options fairly useless for the AI...

The Ai doesnt have any problem upgrading adepts (as far as I know). It is just usually unable to do so because it doesnt have the required techs (because we incent the ai to go down other branches of the tech tree).

The Ai doesnt have any problem upgrading adepts (as far as I know).

I'm currently playing a game where all civs have had Sorcery for quite a while, yet I have yet to see a single Mage. I have seen Adepts though.

I've seen the Sheaim AI get a couple of Eaters of Dreams, but nothing else above an adept since Shadow was released.

Would those of you who are interested in seeing more Mages & Archmages try using my MODCOMP and seeing if the option leads to AI fielding magical units properly? There are really very few changes I have made which you will see without modding anything yourself, and those are detailed in the second post of the thread (link is the last link in my sig, MOD-MOD Platform)

What modcomp is that? There are lots of links in your signature. (In fact your signature exceeds the lind limit. :mad: )

Sorry about that, I often forget that I use a larger monitor resolution than some other people do :( Does it stretch the screen out for you? If so I'll look for a way to change it, because that ANNOYS ME when something forces me to scroll left/right to read posts....

Anyway, what you want is here if you are willing to try it out for me.

EDIT: nm about the sig. Just remembered that there is a limit to how many lines long a sig can be, that must be what you are meaning. I am having problems finding the forum rules to figure out how many lines I need to cut though...

Top Bottom