Design: Game Options

I'd guess Kuriotates become a bit overpowered with no settler option in .30 since sprawling is re-implemented.

City of Thousand Slums becomes a powerful wonder to get also.

Actually, in no settler games, the Khazak tend to do best. WIth the gold limt easy to mantain they get huge production bonuses.

Can we get .25's debug option that allows using worldbuilder in multiplayer games back?

By the way, did that ever really work? I didn't figure out how to turn it on (since it isn't displayed by default) until I had already made numerous changes to the game (which could easily have caused a bug), but it never seemed like selecting "yes" to entering worldbuilder had any effect. (I was playing a hotseat game against myself, not a true multipleyer game online)

Actually, in no settler games, the Khazak tend to do best. WIth the gold limt easy to mantain they get huge production bonuses.

Yeah, Khazad are one of the best civs at one-city challanges.

But in a No-Settler game, you would still be able to capture barbarian cities.

I imagine that Cardith of the Khazad would be the best choice for an OCC or No-Settler game (also with unrestricted leaders)

One little problem: options are not saved from the prev game. So, if I often restart, for example, as I do not always like random nation choice, I have a boring task resetting a big list of options according to my tests. I do not know if I can preset options in some config file.

Then balance issue: AI research techs of forbidden religions. That can make starting rush of some nations vain. BTW once I have seen Auric Ulvin found FoL pretty early. OK, he is looser up to Ice but so maybe it is better to remove him at all now.

One little problem: options are not saved from the prev game. So, if I often restart, for example, as I do not always like random nation choice, I have a boring task resetting a big list of options according to my tests. I do not know if I can preset options in some config file.

You can hide options you never use by setting the <bVisible>1</bVisible> tag to 0, and you can make an option to be default on by setting <bDefault>0</bDefault> to 1 in this file:

Assets\XML\Gameinfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml

You can hide options you never use by setting the <bVisible>1</bVisible> tag to 0, and you can make an option to be default on by setting <bDefault>0</bDefault> to 1 in this file:

Assets\XML\Gameinfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml

The problem I have with this is that when I try, I can no longer play Multiplayer games with others (they can't see my game listed anymore). This is true even when they set the same options in their file, or if I send them my CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml file.

Perhaps this is the wrong thread for this, but do you happen to know a workaround for that?

Sorry no, either duplicate your ffh folder and rename it to something appropriate and just edit one of the versions and use that one for SP.

Most changes should work in MP if all players have the exact same files, so I don't know what is happening for you guys.

Could we maybe get an option to disable world spells?

..you can make an option to be default...

Thanks! I hate starting games and then discovering that I've forgotten to set an option.

And thanks, too, It-Ogo, for asking a question it never occurred to me to ask.

Speaking of "never occurred": I thought FFH's unit experience system was somewhat unbalanced... and I always play Marathon games. I hadn't made the connection between the game speed and the xps.

How could the xps system be modded? Poking around in the files I don't see where to set the xps/promotions progression. (I suppose Leader Traits could be used (Modifying the setting used for Charasmatic), but since some leaders get 3 traits I suspect that won't work. And it'd be a total kludge, anyway.)

I'm looking forward to trying out End of Winter and "No AI building requirements." And the other options too, but especially those. :)

Could we maybe get an option to disable world spells?
This seems to be a very good additional option to be implemented.

On the other hand, a question for the team: Too many options cause very individualistic scenarios, practically none compareable to each other. Do you intend to finetune FfH further or try to limit it at a certain level?

As long as this thread is bumped, I may as well request the next GameOption I was going to writ ein my MODCOMP be added to the main mod. It is quite a simple one which many might enjoy using.

Could you maybe add a gameoption to allow the AI to ignore Level Requirements? This ought to help them pick up their Magic Game the same way that the no Building Requirements had helped them pick up the War Game in general. It'll also be of INSANE help to Basium as an AI

This seems to be a very good additional option to be implemented.

On the other hand, a question for the team: Too many options cause very individualistic scenarios, practically none compareable to each other. Do you intend to finetune FfH further or try to limit it at a certain level?

We implemented an option to disable world spells since that request was made (actually based on that exact request).

I think there is a danger in presenting to many game options. On the minor side its confusing to players, but thats not a huge deal since help text does a good job and if they dont understand it they wont use it.

More importantly we have to support all these game options and many require significant ai or gameplay changes. This differs by what it does. For example disabling world spells is easy, no ai work or anything. But keeping the ai from requiring buildings to build units is pretty complex. All of the ai work to get the ai to understand the value of unit enabling buildings has to be disabled if that option is selected.

Plus you have the complexity of the interaction of options. What happens if you have option a, b, f and m all selected and working together. How will that work? It does get a little hairy sometimes. We certainly dont have the resources to test all the game options on each release so if i do something to break the barbarian world option that i didnt think would be related, it probably wont be discovered until its released.

But I love scenarios that arent just preconfigured maps. If you are going to have preconfigured maps, why not just use a random map so its replayable. Id rather have scenario games that have unusual conditions for the player to try out. So I created a set of hidden game options that are only intended for scenario use (you would never use them in the "epic game"). That way we can apply unusual victory conditions, etc.

@xienwolf- that would be a pretty big boost for the ai. But I dont know if its anything the ai doesnt do as well as a human player (it pretty good at going out and attackign stuff). A better question may be, is it worth lowering the min levels for the t4 angels for everyone (understanding that it would be a pretty big boost for basium)?

im starting to think the AI_No_Building_Reqs option is no longer needed, even on noble i find the ais get tier2 units nice and early.

im still hoping for a Always_Raze_Cities option (similar to how on OCC human players auto-raze cities, but its no good because AIs dont)

Well, Basium is a side-effect. The main goal is the Arcane Line, which some people still feel the AI is not doing a good enough job of producing Mages & Archmages in.

I've implemented the option in my MODCOMP now, just had to structure some IF statements carefully in 2 places, so it wasn't too much, and my internet was down for a while after I finished up seZ's new HUD anyway. Hopefully a few people try it out :)

Well, which some people still feel the AI is not doing a good enough job of producing Mages & Archmages in.

As in I have never seen any mages or Archmages from the AI. Even when I changed the AI weight as was suggested in another thread, it still never happens. I let the AI auto play for about 300 turns and Adepts with 30+ xp were spammed all over the map. Only the Shiem had a mage level with the witch unit, but thats an auto summoned mage.

As in I have never seen any mages or Archmages from the AI. Even when I changed the AI weight as was suggested in another thread, it still never happens. I let the AI auto play for about 300 turns and Adepts with 30+ xp were spammed all over the map. Only the Shiem had a mage level with the witch unit, but thats an auto summoned mage.

Most of the AI's dont pursue the mage tech line. Thats interntional for now since other branches are so much more profitable for them.

Most of the AI's dont pursue the mage tech line. Thats interntional for now since other branches are so much more profitable for them.

I figured that was one reason, but I gave them all the techs they needed and cheated in a boat load of gold for them. They never used it to to upgrade and sat there with their moola hording every dime... =)

im starting to think the AI_No_Building_Reqs option is no longer needed, even on noble i find the ais get tier2 units nice and early.

im still hoping for a Always_Raze_Cities option (similar to how on OCC human players auto-raze cities, but its no good because AIs dont)

Sadly, I think it still is. There are still too many games wherein AI's have only warriors, or other prerequisiteless units in their empire.

Top Bottom