Design Thread - For Discussion and Review

Disney says all the books from before the merger are "Legends," and thus not "official" canon. They've been bringing back details and such, but nothing anywhere near major yet, like Thrawn or Mara Jade. Mostly planet names so far.

It could be for every Great Work you own that you didn't create, but I thought it would just be more thematic if the bonus went to whoever you declared war on, because that's what Thrawn did. His war planning involved getting works of art from whoever he was going to royally stomp. Since the AI doesn't play the trading game as well as a human (at least I think that's still true), the bonus for the AI would have been the flat bonus for each GW they owned. But we can "weasel" those works, and I thought "why not?"

"Why go to war"? Because you can :p I literally went out of my way to play an America Domination game where I took the Freedom ideology and founded a religion named Democracy just because. Granted, it didn't have the same cultural backbone, but there's nothing wrong with a "why not?" option :)

The Gallery is generic, indeed, but I figured it didn't NEED to be any more flashy since it helps fuel the war machine. Assyria's Royal Library is just as flashy, only its slots are for Works of Writing.

As for Stormtroopers, the phrase "shoots like a stormtrooper" exists for a reason. Not saying I agree with it, but still. For Thrawn, I wanted to emulate his recruitment without going the full clone route he did, so his Stormtroopers get generated more quickly. They're competent, but "the best of the best" Stormtroopers got decimated at Endor. I am, however, thinking about drawing up a Palpatine civ, which would have the Stormtroopers you're looking for (but probably not the droids).

I liked that design so much, it's the cornerstone for one of the redesigns in one of the oldest Civs I have, and I'm actually satisified with it for once!

Glad to help! Very interested to see which Civ will be the lucky one, too :)

I just wanted to toss this design out here - it's based on a now-not-canon Star Wars leader from the novels:

Thrawn
:c5capital: Nirauan

UA: Heir to the Empire
While at war with another Civilization, your units gain +5% :c5war: Combat Strength for each Great Work of Art you own from that Civilization. Whenever you capture another Civilization's :c5capital: original Capital, a unique Great Work of Art is generated in the :c5capital: Capital. (as long as an appropriate Great Work slot remains open)

UB: Gallery
Replaces the Library. In addition to the effects of the Library, contains a slot for a Great Work of Art.

UU: Stormtrooper
Replaces Infantry, and has the same attributes. Is trained 2% faster, up to 30% for each Great Work of Art you own and generates :c5greatperson: Great Artist points equal to its experience level for each enemy unit it kills.

------------------------------------------

For a sci-fi Civ, I think this is extremely fitting for a game with historical Civs, since it doesn't need sci-fi assets; you could pretend Thrawn painted himself blue and that Stormtroopers are using bullets.

Thrawn is a savant in the books, and he claims he can understand a species by its art, hence the heavy Great Works of Art focus. In his collection is a statue from a species he never truly understood; he mentions that he had wiped them out, and seemed remorseful of it. That is the inspiration for the unique Great Work idea.

The Great Artist idea for the Stormtroopers is to incentivize the Armory building line as well as keeping units alive. Not that nobody does, but I generally don't build the Armory buildings, even in my Domination games (I prefer Bombers and Battleships), so I thought it would be neat.

Since this is all about Great Works of Art (they make your units stronger, you get extra slots, you get your UU faster the more you have), Thrawn can double as an aggressive Culture victory option as well.

I literally just put this together over the last 20 or so minutes, so I'd be interested to see what you think.

That is synergy, at its best. While the UB might seem weak, it solves so much problems.... Especially with that UA. I like this. And I have no idea what that civ is.

@tinylittlebird: I like that UA(I say this sentence wayyy to much), and the UU fits my play style quite well. But UIs shouldn't replace anything, though I like those effects.
(You might wanna add some golden age related bonuses, considering the last part of the UA)

I need some feedback too :cry:

And I have no idea what that civ is.

It's the Empire from Star Wars. Thrawn took it over roughly five years after the Emperor died in Return of the Jedi.

I should probably rewatch it, considering last time was 4 years ago, when I hardly knew English... :p
(Is that based on the movies, or on the novels?)

Novels. Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command, specifically. They're also available in graphic novel form.

Thrawn also features in Outbound Flight, Allegiance and Choices of One, while another two-book series, Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future deals with a Thrawn impostor, a hidden base, and a suprise.

He has not appeared in any of the movies, and is a near impossibility to do so because of Disney's canon "wipe."

"History is on the move, Capitan". :D
(Now ipcan I get some feedback on my design please)

I just decided to do the Mongols since I have never attempted to do them because Asia is complicated :p

Mongolian Empire

Ögedei Khan

Siege of Kaifeng
Capturing a Foreign :c5capital: Capital will earn you a free Darughachi and a 5-turn WLtKD in your :c5capital: Capital. During WLtKD all Pastoral Resources* you control increase :c5production: Production toward Mounted Units by 5% and may provide triple the :c5food: Food or :c5production: Production dependent on the resource.

Darughachi
Unlike the Great General it replaces the Darughachi may perform a "Tribute Mission" in Cities granting a large sum of :c5gold: Gold however it will be expended. Whenever a Darughachi is expended receive +2 :c5greatperson: Darughachi points in the :c5capital: Capital.

Yurt
Provides an additional +1 :c5production: Production from resources improved by Pastures and all Mounted Units begin with an additional +1 Experience for every Pastoral Resource* however it is much more expensive to construct than the Granary it replaces.

Spoiler :
Pastoral Resources
- Cattle
- Sheep
- Horses

Asia is indeed complicated... :lol:
I like your design(though it basically combines my split into one new civ).
Also, +2 points? I assume that's permanent?

This is most likely a design that I'm most likely going to start in the future but eh so some feedback is much appreciated:
Duchy of Courland and Semigallia

Jakob Kettler

A Legacy Across Oceans
Coastal Cities founded far away from the Capital have reduced :c5gold: Gold costs when purchasing Tiles and begin with a free Shipyard*. Naval :trade: Trade Routes may spawn a resource of "Bird Feathers" in a City when improved provide +2 :c5gold: Gold and +3 :c5happy: Happiness.

Shipyard
Much more expensive to build but provides :c5production: Production and :c5greatperson: Great Admiral points if a Naval Unit is in construction unlike the Harbour it replaces.

Tabor
A Unique Stand-Alone Unit available at Metallurgy that starts with a 28 :c5strength: Combat Strength and +15% :c5strength: Combat Bonus while defending. When stationed within a City it generates +10% :c5gold: Gold and +5% :c5production: Production and upgrades to Cavalry.

Something... Portuguese? I dunno, redacting the UA is a bit too much.

Definitively not Portuguese, Tabor isn't Portuguese.

I know that... But something portugese\ Brazil related looks possible due to the shipyard... Maybe its Moroccan. Or so.

I know that... But something portugese\ Brazil related looks possible due to the shipyard...

Portugal and Brazil do not have a monopoly on ships, and therefore not on shipyards either.

Wikipedia says tabors were tribal irregular troops in French Morocco, so I'd say Morocco or a colonial France is a safe bet.

Except your all wrong cause its a Duchy, a medeival Duchy! like you know in the baltic area where they were the only duchy at the time to colonize areas!

Courland? Whats with the Tabor?

Courland? Whats with the Tabor?

Yes its Courland :p, a Tabor (or alternatively known as Wagenburg) were known as Wagon Forts and they were generally used in most of the Polish-Lithiuanian Commenwealth and thier vassals something that I thought would be fitting considering Jakon Kettle the duke during the peak years of Courland emphasized its Small Naval Power and general Mercantalist Ideas through the use of Shipyards and which would later come in handy into the expansion and colonization of the Caribbean or New Courland.

As ridiculous and unlikely as it may sound, I actually wrote an essay on Couronian Colonization of the America a few years ago... I admit I mostly did it just to make an essay on the most obscure subject I could find.

Nonetheless, my take on the civ would be more like this:

Courland - Jacob Kettler

UA: Truce of Altmark: Trading Away Cities lets you keep a copy of all luxury resources worked by said city and a free Settler.

UB: Shipyard: Replaces Harbor. Allows Ships trained in city to cross Oceans and Generates points towards Cargo Ships, aside from regular Harbor features.

UU: Roßdienst: Replaces Musketman. Can found cities in other Landmasses. Garrisoning it provides production towards Gunpowder units and Ships.

Top Bottom