Designing Egypt in Civ7: Which Ramses should lead?

Which Ramses should lead Egypt in Civ7?

• A. Ramses II

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • B. Ramses III

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but you quite literally entered the conversation by mocking me with sarcasm.
You made an argument that the Ptolemies were the appropriate level of incestuous to represent Egypt. You earned that one, tiger. :lol:

You made an argument that the Ptolemies were the appropriate level of incestuous to represent Egypt. You earned that one, tiger. :lol:
Stop being rude to me. Don't call me "tiger" condescendingly, and drop the sarcasm. I have done none of that to you.

That is nowhere near what I said. I was speaking with Dale, and he erroneously said the Ptolemaic tradition of marrying relatives was Macedonian, not Egypt, and that this was one of many other Macedonian traditions they carried with them. I disputed that point and asked for clarification on what the additional Macedonian traditions are.

That's it. Nothing in my post ever said "the Ptolemies can represent Egypt because they practiced incest."

I don't see a difference in the Rameses from 2 or 3. I've seen so many Rameses in the series before civ 6 that I just cant tell which Rameses to choose. :crazyeye:

I don't see a difference in the Rameses from 2 or 3. I've seen so many Rameses in the series before civ 6 that I just cant tell which Rameses to choose. :crazyeye:
There were actually 9 Rameses' in all, but the ones after III aren't nearly as memorable.

That tells me you're not interested in this conversation anymore, and I don't think I am either.
You're right. I was never interested in arguing whether the Ptolemies would make good leaders for Egypt or not. And yeah I did really take the lazy way out in my responses to you. But there ya go. 🙂

As I've said all along, I'd prefer a native leader over a foreign leader. And with 2800 years of native rule full of awesome Pharaoh's, it would be disappointing to see Cleopatra again.

I believe it's been Ramses II that's depicted every time?
And with 2800 years of native rule full of awesome Pharaoh's, it would be disappointing to see Cleopatra again.
That I can agree with. I don't need to see Cleopatra every iteration, but I don't think her ethnicity should ever preclude her from appearing.

Yeah, I think "with 2800 years of leaders to chose from, Cleopatra AGAIN would be disappointing" is a logic a lot of us can get behind. I certainly can.

Though the same goes for Ramses II who actually has way more main series appearance (Every game except III) than Cleo (II, III, VI twice). Both of them have been overexposed, the rest (Hatshepsut who only has one, and everyone else who has none) can have their turns.

I believe it's been Ramses II that's depicted every time?

That I can agree with. I don't need to see Cleopatra every iteration, but I don't think her ethnicity should ever preclude her from appearing.
Rameses II.. ok.. so what would make III different?

Yeah, I think "with 2800 years of leaders to chose from, Cleopatra AGAIN would be disappointing" is a logic a lot of us can get behind. I certainly can.

Though the same goes for Ramses II who actually has way more main series appearance (Every game except III) than Cleo (II, III, VI twice). Both of them have been overexposed, the rest (Hatshepsut who only has one, and everyone else who has none) can have their turns.
If you count the Civ Rev games, she has him beat.
I don't know. I was just point out that Ramses II is the only one that's ever been depicted. Actually, he's been the only male leader for Egypt in the series.

In the case of Rameses III, his wars against the Sea Peoples is what he's best known for.

They should make Rameses III because it would be something new and make newer leaders.

They should just keep Rameses II because it has been Rameses II all along and like Gandhi, Elizabeth, Alexander and other leaders from civilization that keep being brought back, Rameses II should remain and stay the leader because it always has been this way.
In a different context, that type of phrase sounds almost paleoconservatve and hypertraditionalist, like some stern old elder with a long beard uttered it.

He wasn't in III, so he's not a "been in every game" leader. Nor should he be.

In a different context, that type of phrase sounds almost paleoconservatve and hypertraditionalist, like some stern old elder with a long beard uttered it.
I noticed that, so I edited it and suggested the third instead :)

He wasn't in III, so he's not a "been in every game" leader. Nor should he be.
There are several cases where a civ has a long list of good choices, but they keep being drowned out by repeated use of one or two pernicious re-occuraces - Egypt, as well as, infamously, India, are definitely among them.

In the case of Rameses III, his wars against the Sea Peoples is what he's best known for.
Also for stalling the gradual decline of Kemet as a power diplomatically and economically. He was sort of the last good Pharaoh. Was able to defeat the Sea People, but the economy collapsed during his reign due to loss of trade routes, failed Nile floods, and the loss of a fair chunk of the workforce during the Sea People invasion. First trade strikes occurred during his reign. After him, no one could stop the inevitable end of the New Kingdom.

I also thought that Rameses couldn't have been in all of them but he probably meant most of them.
Yes, that's what I meant. Every time Egypt has had a male leader it's been Ramses II, which has been 5 times. :)

Top Bottom