Detailed Worlds

Detailed Worlds 2.12

Since reefs are part of the water- vs land balance, I don't think they should be reduced casually.
To me, the most important feature of your maps is having enough reasons to build ships while not being isolated on your own island.
Reducing water yields would diminish this.

Is it this line you changed? It's 8 in vanilla Rise&Fall.
local iReefPercent = args.iReefPercent or 6;

Quick fix to allow the Rise & Fall reef feature to appear, I reduced the frequency of it from the base game as there tends to be a lot of coastal tiles on Detailed Worlds maps. You'll find a few but there won't be many, i was seeing 5-6 reef tiles on a large map when I tested it.
You might want check how that affects the turtles resource. We were discussing it over in the YnAMP forum... turtles are limited to reefs by default, and therefore already have a pretty low presence (0-6 ).
local iReefPercent = args.iReefPercent or 6;
As heinous_hat posted, there's already a severe lack of turtle resources, even in the base game, due to its reef restrictions. Lowering the reef frequency - especially to where you only get 5~6 reefs - would definitely eliminate turtles almost completely. I ended up increasing the iReefPercent to 10 and allowed them to be removed. This gave me at least 3~4 turtles on larger maps.

When I first put them in and left it at 8 they were all over the place, excessively so in many places. I'll have to work on their placement rules a little more then.

Bah, scratch all of that, I've spent too much time with a 1 year old and a 2 year old today so my brain is only sort of functional :)

Seven05 updated Detailed Worlds with a new update entry:

Reef placement is really fixed this time!

Also added the ability for each different map to have custom levels for all features, for example archipelago maps have a higher percentage of jungles and forests so there will be fewer barren islands and a higher percentage of reefs since coastal tiles become more important on island maps. They're minor differences, but noticeable.

Also, for those of you who like to mess with these things you can tweak them per map for the custom detailed maps from this mod. In the map's lua file search for function AddFeatures() and then look for the following lines:

Code:
    args.iJunglePercent = 12;
    args.iForestPercent = 18;
    args.iMarshPercent = 3;
    args.iOasisPercent = 1;
    args.iReefPercent = 8;

Edit to your heart's content. The values are percentages of valid plots so basically the percentage of land for the first four and the percentage of shallow water for reefs.

You can find the default values that will be used by most other maps in the Utility/FeatureGenerator.Lua file near the top.

Using the latest version does not seem to work without Rise and Fall. After installation I only see the regular maps.
Plus, version 1.33 is displayed as 1.32 in the Additional Content section.

Seven05 I notice a lot of the scripts are based on older versions of the vanilla maps. Do you plan to or see a need to reintegrate your changes with the updates the devs have made?

Those changes aren't documented but various changes however minor have been made to many of the scripts. I kbow they changed for instance fertility requirements for placement in some script

Using the latest version does not seem to work without Rise and Fall. After installation I only see the regular maps.
Plus, version 1.33 is displayed as 1.32 in the Additional Content section.
Sorry, that's likely the result of properly fixing the reefs (part of the rise & fall expansion).

If you're not afraid of a little modding you should be able to simple remove two lines from the detailedworlds.modinfo file in the mod folder (this same line appears twice):
Code:
                <File>Maps/Utility/FeatureGenerator.lua</File>
That will be at line 34 and 74 (well, 73 if you delete line 34 first)

You'll lose the changes to jungle, marsh, ice and forest placement but everything else should work. I don't think the game will choke on the unused reef percentage argument passed from the map generator to the feature generator.

If that doesn't work then I'm sorry but I don't have the time to support multiple versions right now. I'm ok with somebody else picking up and maintaining a vanilla version, especially since that will also cover all of the Mac & Linux users too since they can't get the expansion yet even if they want it.

Seven05 I notice a lot of the scripts are based on older versions of the vanilla maps. Do you plan to or see a need to reintegrate your changes with the updates the devs have made?
I've been using custom fertility settings for a while and even after their changes to the starting plots system the values I put in there seem to work about as well as we can get without changing the actual starting plots code. The other changes are mostly irrelevant for this mod since that's pretty much entirely what this mod is- changes to their map scripts :)

Fantastic mod! Thanks for the R&F update.

Would it be possible to add a shuffle option to this mod? It would choose randomly a pangea, continents, small continents, archipelago or fractal map from your detail versions. This would make the mod simple perfect! :)

Shuffle has been requested a couple times so I'll work on that. It may take some time since there are quite a few variables that need to be adjusted depending on what map is selected so I'll have to re-work quite a few of the functions.

Shuffle has been requested a couple times so I'll work on that. It may take some time since there are quite a few variables that need to be adjusted depending on what map is selected so I'll have to re-work quite a few of the functions.
Oh, that would be AMAZING! Your work is SO appreciated!!!!

(I wish the code would allow more randomness.... how many EARLY EARLY explorers knew how many other civs were out there, knew how big their world was, etc?)

Doing Gods work! Thank you! I hope the mod gets even more exposure now that it's on the workshop :)
This mod has made me start playing this game again non-stop after taking a long break.

The only thing I miss is the lakes from previous version. If I'm not mistaking i occasionally ran into bigger lakes (2-3-4-5 tiles) in previous versions of this mod, and some lakes connected to rivers. This is also the case in Vanilla map generation. Did you intentionally code those lakes out? I can't find any changes in the code, but I'm not an expert at modding, so maybe I'm not looking at the right place. You fixed the abundance of 1-tile lakes, there are less now, which is good. But I still only get one-tile lakes, haven't even seen a 2-tile lake once. They look odd, and not having bigger lakes breaks the Huey Toecalli wonder somewhat. Could you check if you can implement the lakes from previous version/Vanilla map generation, so it generates both tiny and big lakes?

No rush, I'm having a blast with the mod in it's current state. I think this would improve this already great mod though. :)

Last edited:
I pretty much left the lakes alone because I was having issues with that when cleaning it up for R&F. The only "old" rule I carried over was not letting lakes grow into deserts so it's possible something there is broken and it thinks every tile is a desert. If you want to mess with it just comment out the lines in the modinfo for RiversLakes.lua similar to how I explained removing the changes to features a few posts up, you want the two lines like this: <File>Maps/Utility/RiversLakes.lua</File>

You'll lose the rivers being affected by the rainfall map setting and the blocking of rivers starting in flat desert tiles but everything else will work. I'd test it myself but I have the grand kids again this weekend so while I do get some forum time on the iPad I don't get any game time since they wear me out so I sleep when they sleep :)

My last game was on an Archipelago map so I don't think I even saw a one-tile lake.

Top Bottom