1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Detailed Worlds 1.45

Re-worked climates, rivers and custom map scripts with additional details.

1. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Technically we probably could do something like that by just overriding all of the map settings but it would mean touching a lot more files so it wouldn't be compatible with a lot of other mods out there. I could sort of accomplish that with just a map script by randomizing the playable area and filling the rest with ice and ocean and relying on the starting plot code to simply not place all players and city states but it would probably be pretty sloppy.

2. NoPoopjokes

NoPoopjokes Chieftain

Thanks for being so active on the forum! And you are in fact right! But I might have some extra info for you: maybe it's just the Continent-detailed map generation in particular that is bugged. Or maybe it's a problem on my end.

You see, I just generated some more maps and discovered the Fractal-detailed maps worked fine. It generated some bigger lakes, and some where connected to rivers!
    I thought maybe it just fixed itself, but when generating Continent-detailed maps I got the same problem again. But ONLY on Continents so far. (even when reinstalling the mod) Just a bunch of one-tile, unconnected lakes. I don't know if it's a bug, but it might be an easy fix since Fractal-detailed map generation seems to be working perfectly! (which is my second favorite map-type anyway, so I know what I'll be playing tomorrow!) :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

That was helpful, thank you!

I found the problem code, I believe, I just need to test the fix now that the kiddies are sleeping. If I'm correct you should see working large lakes on Fractal and Pangaea maps.

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

@Seven05 Will you check whether Larger Worlds needs updates as well?

5. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

It most definitely does need an update but I can't say when (or if) I'll get around to that. YnAMP has good options for larger world sizes and he's done a bit with startling locations, the base game now has different buffers for city-states to players and city-states to other city-states too so that covers most of what I did. There are also some other mods like Caps Lock which address the starting plots alone, different methods but I think we had the same goal.

6. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Lakes! 20180304075236_1.jpg
    And lakes with rivers too 20180304075305_1.jpg

7. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Seven05 updated Detailed Worlds with a new update entry:

Lakes again

Read the rest of this update entry...

Also updated on Steam for those of you using the workshop version.

8. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you Seven05 for updating this. Cheers mate!

9. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

10. DanaLea

DanaLea Chieftain Supporter

Does anyone know if the current version is backward compatible? Will it still work if you DON'T have rise and fall?

11. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Is this mod compatible with the newest patch?

12. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Rise & Fall is required unless you want to modify the file yourself, the instructions are a page or two back.

Yes, it works fine :)

13. Tomice

Thank you for the quick update!

14. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Seven05 updated Detailed Worlds with a new update entry:

Mixed Continents

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

MixedContinentsPreview.png

Mixed Continents map type preview.

God of Kings and [to_xp]Gekko like this.
  16. Tomice

Wow, those mixed continents look AMAZING!!! Unpredictable, realistic, lots of naval gameplay and exploration! :thumbsup::hug:

I also think that having a mix of various landmasses will help the AI, as each civ has a larger chance to start in the terrain it's specialized in.

Seeing your great capabilities, may I ask you something? Would you be able to create a terra option?
    Something like this:

2:1 "wide" map ratio
    60-70% old world
    5-10% ocean (impassable with early ships)
    20-30% new world
    being able to select the mapscript for old and new world

I almost feel bad for asking as I don't know how much effort it would be, but it would simply be amazing. I know there is a terra version of YNAMP, but it doesn't have the small details you provide, and it somehow has strangely wide oceans (10+ tiles wide)

EDIT: After revealing a few "mixed" maps ingame with the console, I can definitively confirm that these are the most realistic maps I've ever seen since the legendary "Perfect World" script for civ5!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  17. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

Even with the huge menu of script customizations for the Terra map? There's a lot of detail there, as far as landmasses go. The wide ocean keeps the New World apart, which is essential for a Terra setup. It works best at larger sizes, obviously.

18. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Yeah, terra style maps definitely need bigger oceans. I won't be doing that in this mod since that change would require more than just a map script, unlike previous versions of Civ we can't define the map size per script so you'd either need a mod for larger maps or I'd have to add custom map sizes to this mod which I won't do since it creates compatibility concerns. I plan on keeping this mod to simple random maps so everybody can chose their own gameplay mods.

pokiehl likes this.
  19. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

That's good to hear, I went though many revisions to get it to this point. This originally started out as a "shuffle" map that people have asked for but I got side tracked looking for a better way to switch between map types without having to define each of their own world generators. I had some really, really cool maps in some of the tests along the way but I was stuck with one map being insanely awesome and the next being complete garbage :)

pokiehl likes this.
  20. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Mixed continents - NICE! I was thinking recently that I hope you create another script! We are absolutely blessed to have you back with this mod. Thank you.