Detailed Worlds

Detailed Worlds 2.12

I won't be doing that in this mod since that change would require more than just a map script, unlike previous versions of Civ we can't define the map size per script so you'd either need a mod for larger maps or I'd have to add custom map sizes to this mod which I won't do since it creates compatibility concerns. I plan on keeping this mod to simple random maps so everybody can chose their own gameplay mods.

It was worth a try ;)

Even with the huge menu of script customizations for the Terra map? There's a lot of detail there, as far as landmasses go. The wide ocean keeps the New World apart, which is essential for a Terra setup. It works best at larger sizes, obviously.

Don't get me wrong, YNAMP terra is a work of art and I played some amazing games on it. I surely created 50 maps to understand the script, and I really like what I saw.
There are just some minor flaws:
- The "small continents" script included there produces very nice Eurasia's, but "mixed continents" here looks even better, and you can scale rivers.
- The immense amount of ocean (especially when choosing "two scripts") looks a bit monotone, a few Hawaii-style islands here and there would help a lot (they sometimes do appear, but very few of them)
- The option where you choose each part of a continent seperately ("multiple scripts") is an amazing tool, but it's initially very hard to create good maps with it. If you aren't careful, It will create far too many islands and also lakes at the seems between continents. Not that I mind having rough coastlines, quite the contrary, but if it's too much the playability and especially the AI suffers. I also had multiple occasions where most civs spawned on islands and some lucky civ had a huge continent for itself.

But that's a lot of nitpicking considering I'd rate YNAMP terra 9.3/10 ;) Guess I'm a real connoisseur when it comes to maps :crazyeye:

@Tomice

Fair enough :)

I had thought if you select pangea or continent for some of the areas that border the "Pacific" in the template (Japan, Oceana, NA, etc), you could effectively shrink the ocean. I'll admit I haven't tried though... I generally stick to "two scripts", since I've been having a good time with that.

I'll also admit to not having tried Detailed Worlds yet, since the update. Shame on me.

Seven05 updated Detailed Worlds with a new update entry:

Math!

Improved build time on most map types
Added check to ensure land percent is within expected values

In other words...

Mixed Continent maps (and all others) will generate with enough land in most cases. To prevent endless map generation time there is a scaling factor to relax land percentage requirments as the number of attempts increases. Combined with new calculations on how much land to change when adding details the total land will almost always be within 5% of the expected amount. For example, 25-30% land on normal sea level maps.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Hi
what mod that increases the size of the vanilla maps is compatible with your map script?

Hi
what mod that increases the size of the vanilla maps is compatible with your map script?
I think the summer update made it more difficult for any map scripts to enable larger maps. I can't find one that works anymore.

Hi, Seven05

I play Civ VI R&F on a steam machine with steamOS and Linux.

I subscribe to this mod via steam. I do not have any other mods active. But there is a problem with the game running with this mod

My problem is: When i start a game it starts without a settler and a warrior. The map is maybe there, but nothing is revealed. The turns seem to be on "auto", and i cant do anything.

I hope there is a quick solution to my problem.

Regards

Hi, Seven05

I subscribe to this mod via steam. I do not have any other mods active. But there is a problem with the game running with this mod

My problem is: When i start a game it starts without a settler and a warrior. The map is maybe there, but nothing is revealed. The turns seem to be on "auto", and i cant do anything.

Regards

That's a bug in the base game, it should be gone when you start over.

That basically means the map generation failed for whatever reason and it was unable to actually place a start position for you or anybody else.

There may be something that prevents it from working on Linux, if that's the case somebody with the Linux version will have to figure out the fix as I don't have Linux. It could be an issue with changes to the base game code or some difference with LUA that I'm not unaware of as it is very stable on Windows now (I've launched an embarrassingly high number of games while testing the maps).

When setting the map settings for Fractal Detailed, if you choose to set World Age, Temperature, and Rainfall to random, everything seems to work fine, but if you set Sea Level to random as well, you get an error when loading. Happens with single or multiplayer, Error - 1544755159.

Hi Seven05, just wanted to thank you for this map script as I played my last game on Mixed Continents and had a lot of fun, its remarkable how much the enjoyment of civ is derived from the underlying map. It reminded me a lot of playing on PerfectWorld in Civ4. I hadn't realised just how blobby and uninteresting the default maps are until I tried this and had great fun with chokepoints and inlets and island chains and all the rest. Also just wanted to lend support to the idea of a New World with civs starting in the Old World. :goodjob:

Always good to hear that :)

I have a new version in the works with some fixes for feature I never use (like random sea level) and a new map type- "Island Regions" which works like Mixed Continents, it combines a continent style map with an archipelago style map while still having some degree of oceanic separation. So you get a world with 2-3 significant landmasses and several islands laid out in a way that isn't predictable enough to be boring. It's a little slow for my taste still so I'm also working on optimizing some more of the code to speed up map generation and then putting those changes into the other maps.

Next up I'll probably do something with starting locations since they can be pretty annoying. I'm not sure yet if I want to build that into this mod or put those into my old and currently broken Larger Worlds mod.

Hi, Seven05

Regards
Hi ChrisNicBruun and Seven05, I have faced the same thing but I play on a Macbook Pro and not Linux/Steam. I actually started facing this problem when the R&F patch came out on steam (used the maps and enjoyed them before that with no hitches) and so I disabled this and other mod content till it was available on the Appstore (I figured maybe thats why some Mods were acting wonky/But also not sure if I activated another Mod as well that created conflicts earlier). So to be sure, when I got the R&F update on the Appstore, removed the old mods and installed the new updated mod files for R&F and still have that issue happening. It's exactly as you said Chris, a new custom game and you're all set to start and it goes into a covered map and "auto" turns just going on meaning nothing happens but turn numbers keep increasing.

Maybe it's one of the parameter settings we need to be careful about or some other issue common to Linux/Mac?

Cheers,
Krishna

Last edited:
Because CQUI is not Rise and Fall compatible yet, I still play the basic game. Detailed Worlds 1.45 is not compatible with the original game anymore. It crashes while starting the game and the added map types aren't available. It would be nice if this was repaired.

Because CQUI is not Rise and Fall compatible yet, I still play the basic game. Detailed Worlds 1.45 is not compatible with the original game anymore. It crashes while starting the game and the added map types aren't available. It would be nice if this was repaired.
He's made it work for R&F, I'd rather he didn't undo that.
You can go into the version history and try an older version, see if that works for you.

Top Bottom