Detailed Worlds

Detailed Worlds 2.12

Aaah, didn't realize that. Different threads so it seemed relevant to ask in both.

\Skodkim

Would you consider uploading this to the Steam workshop so we can get automatic updates?

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I appear to have an awesome map right now. It's only classical era, so I'm not even close to done with exploring, but I got a central part surrounded by sea and mountains with only two one-tile passes. There is room for some six cities inside, plus a few rivers to place them on, as well as quite a few hills and a lot of rainforest, meaning I have good, unimproved tiles everywhere. One of the passes leads to Seoul, which covers from the sea to the mountains with it's borders, and I think it's also the end of the continent, considering I got a free envoy while it took quite a while to get to them. The other pass leads to the rest of the continent, where Gandhi is the first AI, with whom I've already had a declaration of friendship. If I'd put a fort on a hill in the pass, though, it would take YEARS for an enemy army to get over by land, basically making it impossible to conquer my heartland without a naval attack. And while it might seem like I am pressed for space, with only 6 cities and then another civ already the only way I could expand, that's not actually the case, as I got a coastal water bridge towards an island and what appears to be another continent, but where I haven't found another civ yet, and with what I've uncovered so far it appears like I should be able to build at least two cities there (assuming that I'm just about to find other civs). Map type is Fractal - Detailed, by the way.

It sounds so interesting and awesome. I love these types of maps. Would you mind sharing the map info. so we could give it a try?

This is my first save game, of turn 83. I don't do initial saves, nor do I write down seeds, so this is the best I can give. That said, I know there's some kind of difficult way to get the seed out of a save file, so you could try that if you want to start from turn 1. (please also post the seed here btw, I might wanna restart with the seed if the patch breaks saved games, which I hope it does not)

Speed is epic by the way, difficulty level emperor, if you want to continue the game. I also use AI+ as mod, and I manually reduced the scaling of district costs by 25% (kept initial district equal in cost). And now I'm sitting here wondering if there's not another mod I use that I forgot about... Larger Worlds and Detailed Worlds of course, map size is huge. All other settings are standard.

EDIT: Also, there's a lot of land to explore and colonize even if you can't enter ocean tiles yet.

Attachments

• QIN SHI HUANG 83 1950 BC.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
This is my first save game, of turn 83. I don't do initial saves, nor do I write down seeds, so this is the best I can give. That said, I know there's some kind of difficult way to get the seed out of a save file, so you could try that if you want to start from turn 1. (please also post the seed here btw, I might wanna restart with the seed if the patch breaks saved games, which I hope it does not)

Speed is epic by the way, difficulty level emperor, if you want to continue the game. I also use AI+ as mod, and I manually reduced the scaling of district costs by 25% (kept initial district equal in cost). And now I'm sitting here wondering if there's not another mod I use that I forgot about... Larger Worlds and Detailed Worlds of course, map size is huge. All other settings are standard.

EDIT: Also, there's a lot of land to explore and colonize even if you can't enter ocean tiles yet.

Leyrann, thanks man! I know about the method you´re talking about and I think it is, if not difficult, long, but I´ve been thinking about giving it a try sometime. I will of course let you know if I do end up getting it. Thanks again.

No problem.

Also, I figured out which mod I forgot to list earlier. TCS' improved water yields.

I've started a few games on continents and small continents and it feels like there needs some adjustment in how close players spawn to each other. I typically play with two extra civilizations because I prefer creating more conflict, but even at standard Large settings I typically had 2-3 capitals within 20 tiles of my start, and 5-6 within 40 tiles. Playing on the vanilla maps it feels like players are also getting a little more packed in so it may be the developers have changed starting plots on their end which has compounded with any adjustments you have made; as it is, civilizations are struggling to fit in more than three cities before having to expand.

Any way to make it so that map generator doesn't create maps with large deserts 2 tiles away from tundra wastelands? XD

Played a Small Continents huge map with standard amount of civs, game spawned with only 6 civs instead of 12. Maybe related to that bug that doesn't allow civs to spawn close to one another? I got a save game from around turn 100 so you can look at the map (it's pretty crowded in barbarians btw). EDIT: Not sure how many city-states spawned, by the way.

Can't wait to try this, thanks! Exploring a Civ vi pangea can lead to massive depression.
The only script on the workshop seems to focus on breaking up mountain ranges... which is, frankly, the only good thing the devs did with their maps.

Any way to make it so that map generator doesn't create maps with large deserts 2 tiles away from tundra wastelands? XD
If you think about the Gobi desert, this might be an accurate representation.

The problem of course is the limited artwork and/or map scale that you have to work with... even if cold deserts are a fairly common occurrence, it still doesn't look right on a civ map. The closest we've gotten to terrain diversification was the continental art variety in civ5 (which sucked). I'd have much rather seen them put the effort into creating alternate tile art for different climates zones, and maybe adding a transitional terrain type or two.

To answer the question... yes, you can likely tune that somewhat, with better results for larger map sizes. There are variables in TerrainGenerator that set the latitude bounds for desert, along with a shift for hot/cold climate settings. Same for tundra.

I've not played with that aspect, so can't offer specific advice, but the script is pretty easy to experiment with. I have exorcised my personal demon though... 'woods' near 'rainforest'. Yes it occurs IRL, but it looks stupid with what Firaxis went with for those features.

Why must Firaxis choose coniferous trees for woods? Why not create deciduous woods as well, which means that there can be four kinds of woods: old-growth coniferous, old-growth deciduous, builder-planted coniferous, and builder-planted deciduous. Rainforest would still be there as well.

Firaxis could go another step further with mixed-wood forests with a mix of coniferous and deciduous trees.

Coniferous and deciduous woods could provide different bonuses as well.

Hi. this mod is no longer properly functional with the latest summer patch. It still generates awesome maps! But it does not put any sea resources on the map (fish, pearls, whales, etc.) Unfortunately i figured this out too far into my new game :(

Hi. this mod is no longer properly functional with the latest summer patch. It still generates awesome maps! But it does not put any sea resources on the map (fish, pearls, whales, etc.) Unfortunately i figured this out too far into my new game :(

I think I read in patch notes they changed the way sea resources are placed so that seems to make sense

you can still use the mod if you remove the changes to map creation and just keep the detailed mapscripts, I've attached a file with those changes already in place

Attachments

• Detailed Worlds.rar
    30.8 KB · Views: 715
Top Bottom