1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Development] Canonical City Location Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, May 26, 2018.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

As per the first post (or the post linked therein), you can access the "map" branch via git. With it, just open the 3000 BC scenario.

2. mysterious_stalker

mysterious_stalker Chieftain

You mistook Bursa for Izmir (or else placed Bursa where Izmir should be). Konigsberg should likely be moved 1S to make space for Memel. Riga could also be moved south. Central Germany looks a bit empty, maybe move Munich 1N to give it access to that region? I'd also move Tyre and Damascus south if we're talking geographical positions.

3. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

Munich is on the southern side of the Danube, so I put it there. Look up Königsberg's location, it's closer to the tile where I put it.

4. mysterious_stalker

My point with Konigsberg was that if you put it there, Memel will not exist unless it's placed in Latvia (which is clearly off).

5. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Chieftain Supporter

Uh, oh, the new map is getting cancelled.

ales_, h0spitall3rz, hnrysml and 6 others like this.
  6. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

May I ask why is Memel relevant? Sorry, I don't know the answer.

7. mysterious_stalker

Just a rather important city I'd rather have on the map than not, for the sake of giving it the option to be founded.
    Either way, this discussion has taken far too long, haha. I'm just going to shut up.

8. Steb

Steb Chieftain

Here's my take on canonical city locations for areas I'm familiar with: Canada, US, Mesoamerica (pre-Columbian only), Europe (except Eastern Europe), Anatolia (ancient only), Mesopotamia, the Levant, Arabia, Egypt, and North Africa. Scripted cities are in all caps with [BRACKETS] and are mostly the same as Merijn's suggestions.

I consider a city "canonical" if it should appear in the majority of games. As a result, there are several areas within the above that have no labels. This means there is no "must-have" city in the area, and the AI or player should be free to found whatever they please. For instance, I don't think it matters whether France's western seaport is Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Nantes or something else, so I put no label in Western France.

When there are two or more adjacent labels, it's because I think a city should exist there, but all the labeled spots should be equally weighted (whether with the same name or not), allowing for some diversity. In some cases the adjacent cities can have different emphasis depending on the civilization or scenario.
    Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0066.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  9. Hightower

Hightower Chieftain

Memel is maybe the 6th-most important city in the Baltics, generously. Don't think it should really factor into the discussion here.

10. Alexius08

Alexius08 Chieftain

Would Philadelphia (1N1E or 2N1E of Washington in Steb's map) be a viable alternative capital for human-controlled America in this map?

11. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Wouldn't that make New York even more crowded, if not crowd it out altogether?

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'd like to have the option to found Philadelphia instead, but I agree there's little reason to do so.

13. mysterious_stalker

You're right. A better argument would be that the river on the map is Nemunas/Niemen and that Kaliningrad should definitely be south of it if we're using it as reference point. North of it is Lithuania - south of it is Kaliningrad Oblast.

14. Steb

Steb Chieftain

Maybe Philadelphia can be somewhat prioritized by England, so it appears in some games (but more rarely than New York) and if it exists it becomes the American capital on spawn.

15. Bautos42

Bautos42 Chieftain

Philadelphia and Washington should be able to coexist. It'll just be a choice between New York and Philadelphia.

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Ideally the Netherlands will reliably found Nieuw Amsterdam, then we can let the English give priority to New England and the Atlantic South. If so England would found Philadelphia if the Netherlands do not make it in time.

borhap88, Steb and Bautos42 like this.
  17. TJDowling

TJDowling Chieftain

I'm not afraid to found all three, are you guys afraid?

Alexius08 likes this.
  18. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

This whole discussion makes me rethink how the scripted settler AI functions, I may be able to rewrite it so that AI behaviour is more transparent and you can have it actively focus on certain regions on the map before others (e.g. make England colonise North America before starting elsewhere etc.) and make it generally more active. Could end up a little more deterministic but I think that's preferable to the sometimes inert behaviour when it comes to overseas settlement.

19. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

There are so many other factors affecting colonial nations that it probably won’t end up too deterministic. Besides, I’d much prefer nations like Britain to regularly settle famous historical colonies than decide to colonize Las Malvinas—I mean, the Falklands—before Australia like they did in my last game...

BarbarianX and borhap88 like this.
  20. mysterious_stalker

Since there hasn't been any posts for over a week here, I'm just going to ask : Is there anything specific that still needs to be worked on? Maybe more proposals for a specific region? Or are we slowly getting done with this particular aspect of map development?

h0spitall3rz and Jarlaxe Baenre like this.