1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Development] Canonical City Location Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, May 26, 2018.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Please make your suggestion using a map, following the instructions in the opening map.

2. Bautos42

Bautos42 Warlord

The tile below Hangzhou should also be Hangzhou. This might not be completely accurate, but Hangzhou should be able to coexist with Nanjing (pre 1700 AD) respectively Shanghai (post 1700) on the map. Nanjing and Hangzhou are both just to important in order not to include them on the map.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm wondering what to do about the Yellow River. I would like to have three out of Chang'an, Luoyang, Anyang, Kaifeng and Jinan, but currently space is a little tight for that.

4. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

A Hangzhou on the south bank of Qiantang River would be very weird. In my own opinian I don't want to make this tile also be Hangzhou, meanwhile, Shaoxing is also an important city in Chinese history, It has a history of 2600 years, and the city itself never moved.

5. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

I put Lanzhou, Xi'an, Luoyang, and Qufu southeast of the river mouth.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You're right, Qufu is also important. It's still very little space.

7. LikeNothing

LikeNothing Chieftain

For a Shandong city (Qufu, Jinan, Qingdao, Yantai) to be viable the Shandong Peninsula should to be enlarged at least 2 tiles (tiles around current Yantai, e.g. 1W and 1S). If needed North Korea can be moved 1E for space.

The Wei River Valley (Xi'an and surrounding few tiles) can be moved 1W.

Currently Shandong (unlike most of China) looks strangely atrophied. This hampers simulation of more interesting history (such as the Warring States), which would otherwise be feasible on this large map. Two hegemons of the Warring States, Qi and Qin, are centered around Shandong Peninsula and the Wei River Valley respectively. These States may be compared to Austria and Brandenburg within the HRE.

soul-breathing can verify this, of course.

8. ozqar

ozqar King

I think instead of shifting Korea eastwasrds, Northwestern China (ie, Xinjiang) can be reduced by one or two tiles horizontally.

9. mysterious_stalker

mysterious_stalker Chieftain

Spoiler SE Europe, Anatolia, Mesopotamia and Caucasus :
    upload_2018-5-31_15-4-35.png

For Izmir, the western location is more accurate, I simply forgot to update the mod to the version where signs can be deleted :crazyeye:
    There are a few problems here, notably Sofia/Bucharest (I thought about maybe removing the mountain north of Bucharest and placing said city there?) and Tyre/Damascus. Now Damascus' actual geographical location is the coastal one, but the inland one might be favoured to allow it to coexist with Tyre (and Damascus isn't a port after all, so that'd make sense).

10. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

I have a plan of City Location of China in many diffenrent eras. Maybe upload in weekends.

In recent map, China is a little narrow from east to west. My suggestion is adding 1 line of land plots in China(the line in Shanxi and Henan, it would widen the midland of China, also benefit Shandong Penisuala), that would make Japan and Korea move to 1 plot east. But I haven't decide where to add those plots...

Is there any way to move Japan and Korea 1E directly by WB? It's very difficult to move these plots one by one.

Leoreth likes this.
  11. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

How many cities do you guys think should be in Great Britain? All of its land tiles can be covered with three cities (London, Bristol or Plymouth, and Edinburgh). Do you think adding Inverness and York/Manchester would enhance the island or would it make it more crowded?

PS: I noticed the Pacific Ocean looks odd. I know this is for gameplay reasons, but it looks small. I also feel like Hawaii is south of where it should be.

12. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

Yes Britain is also small in this map, especially when compare with Ireland.

13. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

It would be great if we could finally see Damascus in a 3000 BC start. Looks like Tyre-Damascus-Jerusalem is going to be really cramped though.

There should definitely be a northern English city (York/Manchester); it's standard even for the current map I think.

trevor likes this.
  14. mysterious_stalker

mysterious_stalker Chieftain

Well, I guess we can have them all, it's just that they will be 1 tile away from each other. Still not quite the optimal placement... but we'll have to roll with what we've got.

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's what I was thinking. Don't know what my opinion on enlarging China to the east at the expense of the Pacific Ocean. That already happened too often by now.

There is a "move all plots" tool in WB that allows you to cut and paste a rectangular area.

soul-breathing likes this.
  16. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

This is my suggestion for cities placement in Indochina.
    Cities on yellow tiles are primary cities that have the highest probability to be found in most games.

Indochina Cities Placement.jpg

trevor likes this.
  17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I would place Hanoi 1W, to reduce the overlap with Guangzhou. And Hanoi is mostly on the (south) west side of the river anyway.

My suggestion for the Philippines.
    - I based the placement with my Philippine civ in mind. These were the 2 most important cities of pre-Spanish Philippines.
    - Move the gold 1W so Butuan can access it without being on top of it.
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

trevor likes this.
  18. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Is Davao on the same tile then?

19. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I would place Davao 1SW (on the Banana). But this tile and the tile 1W could be considered Davao, as it is on the intersection of those tiles.

But I don't know if I would say Davao is a more canonical city. It was founded in 1848 and only recently it became an important city. (From what I learned when I did some study for my Philippine civ. I'm not an expert and only did some basic research, so I could still be wrong). I think for most of the game, Butuan was a more important city.

20. Steb

Steb King

Looks like maybe the island of Mindanao should be enlarged by 1 or 2 tiles? It shouldn't be that much smaller than the island of Luzon, and it has a north-south span that is greater than what the map suggests. And then it could potentially support 2 cities.

(Then again I don't know much about the Philippines and I'm not sure how that compared to other surrounding islands)