[Development] Map Suggestions

Been refining my ideas for the Caribbean...[/SPOILER]
I know this thread is serious posts only so, here's my proposal for an enlarged Jamaica. By simply shrinking Florida and Cuba a tiny bit and moving a few Caribbean islands I was able to significantly enlarge the island of Jamaica to accommodate not one but TWO settlements. The best part is I didn't have to sacrifice any regions with majority Northern European populations to do so! (Except Florida... but nobody cares about Florida).

You're almost there. But seriously, I think while your proposed Cuba and Hispanoila are far bigger than in reality it's a pretty good use of map distortion as these regions do play an outsized role in colonial history. I'm on board.

You're almost there. But seriously, I think while your proposed Cuba and Hispanoila are far bigger than in reality it's a pretty good use of map distortion as these regions do play an outsized role in colonial history. I'm on board.
caribbeans look small "in reality" only because of the map projection

Spoiler cuba over europe :

upload_2020-6-26_12-52-21.png

even without the special treatment of Europe it would be a fair 6-7 tile island in the old map

Some minor suggestions on Siberia and Russian Far East, and some very minor on Iceland.
Spoiler West :
west.jpg

-Opened a spot for Mangazeya, as was suggested earlier in the thread (Finbros placed it 1W in one of his suggestions and LacsiraxAriscal 1N on her city name map, but these spots seem a bit more awkward to open IMO)
-Copper at Norilsk, mostly known for nickel but also very rich in copper
-Silver in Altai area (Barnaul important historical silver production center for Russia, and Kazakhstan mines lots of silver in the area today)
-Salt at Usolye (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usolye-Sibirskoye).
-Added additional conifer forests around Lake Baikal
Spoiler East :
east.jpg

-Yakutian gems turned to diamonds and moved west of Lena, where the deposits are IRL. One within reach of Yakutsk and one near Mirny (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_mine)
-Uranium representing Priargunsky mine, Russia's largest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnokamensk,_Zabaykalsky_Krai#Economy)
-Obsidian near Obluchie Plateau in Amur basin, mostly for flavor
-Silver for the massive Dukat deposit (~90 % of Russia's reserves, and one of the most productive silver mines in the world nowadays)
-Obsidian and crab for Kamchatka (as per an old Finbros post). Added a little moorland in southern Sakhalin and Kamchatka
-I guess Russian Far East (and Alaska) are supposed to have more arctic coast rather than the regular coast they have now?
Spoiler Iceland :
vatna.jpg

-Regarding Iceland, I've thought about turning the peak in the southeast to a snowy hill to get a distinct visual representation of Vatnajökull, as in the screenshot. Not really sure about it though. The Westfjords peninsula is mostly mountainous in reality, so would be more accurate as a hill. Also, I kinda think Iceland should have more arctic coast instead of regular.

-Regarding Iceland, I've thought about turning the peak in the southeast to a snowy hill to get a distinct visual representation of Vatnajökull, as in the screenshot. Not really sure about it though. The Westfjords peninsula is mostly mountainous in reality, so would be more accurate as a hill. Also, I kinda think Iceland should have more arctic coast instead of regular.
I support these changes to Iceland. I'm wondering if the southwestern tile should be flatland—Reykjavik isn't on a perfect plain, but it isn't very hilly, and there is a largish flat area not far to the east of the city. It's not a super important change but it would provide more variation to the island.

Lagoon tile for Lagos, Nigeria? I mean, it's literally in the name.

EDIT for justification: Beside being located next to a lagoon, Lagos is home to the largest floating settlement in the world, Makoko, a floating lagoon village of up to 200k people that grew from Lagos' fishing community. Further, while Nigeria is perhaps not super important in our current map/scenario, with the larger map and possibility of adding greater representation of African civs having a lagoon tile for Lagos would free up additional space in what is Africa's most populous region and one of the largest economies on the continent which could easily host 2 if not 3 settlements realistically (my West Africa expansion suggestions were rejected but maybe we can settle for a lagoon lol). Also, the lagoon tile would mean more significant access to coastal (as opposed to terrestrial) food/commerce which accurately represents the richest/most populous city in Nigeria. I see it as akin to the NYC lagoon tile but I honestly think it has more justification than NYC.

Last edited:
caribbeans look small "in reality" only because of the map projection

Spoiler cuba over europe :

even without the special treatment of Europe it would be a fair 6-7 tile island in the old map
Yes of course, the games map is based on a distorted projection though with added enlargement of Europe. PS I love "True Size of..." map. Honestly go there almost every day. Hispanoila makes a decent Austria if you rotate 180 degrees.

Sorry for the double post.

Spoiler Canada :
jade.jpg

-Jade near Jade City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_City,_British_Columbia). British Columbia has been a leading nephrite supplier for a while now, accounting for about 75% of worldwide production nowadays.

-Canadian gems turned into diamonds (matches locations of Ekati and Diavik mines, etc.).
Spoiler Montana :
butte.jpg

-Copper at Butte (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_mining_in_the_United_States#Montana)

-Obsidian at Yellowstone (https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/historyculture/obsidiancliff.htm)
Spoiler New York :
newyork.jpg

-Regarding possible production resources for New York, it seems that the area around northern New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania and New York was actually the leading iron mining area in the early history of the United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_mining_in_the_United_States#Early_republic).

-There was also historically important coal-mining in northeastern Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_Region).

This is great, thanks. Thinking about North American resources, I think there should also be iron (coal?) near Birmingham, Alabama. And I think the current Great Lakes distribution oversells copper and undersells iron in Minnesota.

For coal in the United States, let's look at the most authoritative reference, the United States Geological Survey:

Spoiler USGS Contiguous United States Coal Deposits Map :

Coal may be warranted if the southeast USA is low in production resources, a Birmingham coal resource would correspond with the southernmost extent of the Appalachian Region coalfields.

Keeping in mind while these maps can be helpful they don't necessarily reflect historically exploited sources of any given resource.

Yes. Sources about how historical exploitation developed are a lot more helpful. Where we get our natural resources changed drastically in the 20th century and especially post WW2 and while those periods are obviously part of the game as well, they should not be the primary factor influencing what our map looks like.

In the case of coal from Alabama, it seems it was exploited since relatively early in the history of the United States, discovery of deposits dating back to 1815. Keep in mind that, in the context of large scale coal mining, this is quite early, as the industrial revolution was barely reaching the United States at this time.

Maybe a better reference would be the list of countries by coal production in the year 1905, which would better reflect the relative distribution of coal mining for a period like WWI.

Countries is one thing but also where were the mines?

For coal in the United States, let's look at the most authoritative reference, the United States Geological Survey:

Spoiler USGS Contiguous United States Coal Deposits Map :

Coal may be warranted if the southeast USA is low in production resources, a Birmingham coal resource would correspond with the southernmost extent of the Appalachian Region coalfields.

Well.. A read this article. Thanks!
If we try to represent realistic dinamic of US copper industy - perhaps there is sence to add extra THREE SOURCES (reflect historical area of copper-mining)

1. Schuyler Copper Mine (New Jersey)
It's one of the oldest mine (1712) in America which appeared in the periods of Netherland's Colonies
+ I think the same mine also could succesfully represent Copper-Mining in the Pensylvania

2. Well... Also I've found info that one of the first copper mine in the US South appeared in Tennesse
so called Ducktown Basin/Copper Basin: in the period of 1847-1970 this mine played great role in the local economy

3. And also there is powerful copper-industry in UTAH (Kennecott Copper Mine/Bingham Canyon Mine near Salt-Lake Sity // local mining begins in 1906)
+
This one will be great in persective of more productive desert-area and give arguments to found sity here (except pro-historical)

P.S. Also if we use accurate suggestion of @stormogulen about Montana' Copper: there will be FIVE sources of copper - the same as Russia (including Sibera and Kazahstan)

Attachments

• Copper 1.png
    Copper 1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 188
  • Copper 2.png
    Copper 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
Some minor suggestions on Siberia and Russian Far East, and some very minor on Iceland.
Spoiler West :

-Opened a spot for Mangazeya, as was suggested earlier in the thread (Finbros placed it 1W in one of his suggestions and LacsiraxAriscal 1N on her city name map, but these spots seem a bit more awkward to open IMO)
-Copper at Norilsk, mostly known for nickel but also very rich in copper
-Silver in Altai area (Barnaul important historical silver production center for Russia, and Kazakhstan mines lots of silver in the area today)
-Salt at Usolye (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usolye-Sibirskoye).
-Added additional conifer forests around Lake Baikal
Spoiler East :

-Yakutian gems turned to diamonds and moved west of Lena, where the deposits are IRL. One within reach of Yakutsk and one near Mirny (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_mine)
-Uranium representing Priargunsky mine, Russia's largest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnokamensk,_Zabaykalsky_Krai#Economy)
-Obsidian near Obluchie Plateau in Amur basin, mostly for flavor
-Silver for the massive Dukat deposit (~90 % of Russia's reserves, and one of the most productive silver mines in the world nowadays)
-Obsidian and crab for Kamchatka (as per an old Finbros post). Added a little moorland in southern Sakhalin and Kamchatka
-I guess Russian Far East (and Alaska) are supposed to have more arctic coast rather than the regular coast they have now?
Spoiler Iceland :

COOL!

And there is small sugestion which inspirate by articles I've read about Far East Economy
Near the sity Habarovsk there is small industrial center Komsomolsk-na-Amure: "iron-heart" of this area (at least 10% of All russian Ferrous metallurgy)

Attachments

• + IRON.png
    + IRON.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 220
2. Well... Also I've found info that one of the first copper mine in the US South appeared in Tennesse
so called Ducktown Basin/Copper Basin: in the period of 1847-1970 this mine played great role in the local economy

If that copper is due to represent something in SE Tennessee (& if that river in the south of that screenshot is the Tennessee River) then I'd suggest the coal be moved 1S & the copper replace it.

This is probably not super important, but based on this map and this map, the easternmost gold in West Africa should be moved 1 or 2 tiles east. There could also be a fourth gold resource south or southeast of that, on the coast next to the mouth of the Volta. After all, the region was known as the Gold Coast. But maybe that would mean too many gold resources.
Spoiler image from the map overview thread for reference :

This is probably not super important, but based on this map and this map, the easternmost gold in West Africa should be moved 1 or 2 tiles east. There could also be a fourth gold resource south or southeast of that, on the coast next to the mouth of the Volta. After all, the region was known as the Gold Coast. But maybe that would mean too many gold resources.
Spoiler image from the map overview thread for reference :

On the other hand, if we make it more common for Western civs to get colonies in the region, maybe there should be a decent amount of gold for a decent number of cities?

Top Bottom