[development thread] Dune: The Spice Must Flow

whats XML marker? I am using two different xml editors from the utilities section.

As far as coding, I can program. I am not familiar with C+ or python though After a review of the python language yesterday, it seems pretty easy enough and straight forward. It will be slow at first but nothing too challenging.

I am hoping to avoid digging into the SDK and keeping it purely python. If it is needed, I will just have to learn another programing lang ;).

Posts 1-4 are updated.

Added promotions, buildings, a more complete tech tree, Units list is complete and stats will come when I get to the point of XMLing Units. WIll upload new tech tree chart that has a few changes.

Again, Any feedback or ideas. I realize people are jaded to ever seeing a Dune mod come out and seeing numerous mods that are good ideas never make it even to the drawing board, but not only am I building off what was discussed before but I have alot planned out. This is the main reason why I'm posting such a detailed design outline, to show what is being done and how much has already come.

I make this a point cause, simply, momentum in something like this is essential and though the number of views is encouraging ultimately I, personally, thrive on feedback, creative discussion and just seeing enthusiasm.

Thanks,

I've been looking at mod components but been staying away from SDK stuff....I remember reading somewhere that SDK is limiting in someway....I can't remember how. let me look it up again.

Questoin: What can you do with SDK that you can't do with python? not too familiar with the distinction but I was under the impression that the pythonextension file allows it to interface with the c+ code.

I'm not ruling it out, if what I've already put in place as whats going in can only be done by messing with the SDK then C+ here I come ;). I'm just a little fuzzy as to the line that defines what can and can't be done between the two languages.

nm on the question. been doing some reading, python programming seems the scripting API language and the SDK C++ is the actual language for the game files. I will start reading up on C++.

I DLed the SDK and poking around in it, I got VS 2005 which SHOULD work for it lol though I've seen reference to 2003.

What I'm going to do as I'm XMLing is a list of functions and any extra tags wthat will be needed and come up with a programing list and post it as I go along. This will be to keep people up to date and as a reference list for any programmers that want to contribute.

It will go slow when I start wading into the SDK but shouldn't be too much of a problem. :) WIll also look at the community SDK codes so I don't have to reinvent the wheel :p. Thanks Garret.

I've been checking out xml marker and I'm in loooove :p

I had planned on it. Hence, there being no specific call for artist except with the asking for any and everyone to help out. Unlike when I asked for XMLers to pipe up (hint hint nudge nudge everyone :p)

you were the exceptoin cause I know you have your own mod and the modcast, so figured I'd ask early and get it when it was appropriate lol. That and you asked for requests one at a time instead of a project list of things need done.

Don't worry the XML framework is being worked on, I am almost done with the leader info and civ, as an update so you know where I am, then civics will be done. After that religoins and then tech tree. once all those are done I will start inserting units and buildings.

By then i should have a pretty comprehensive programming list of what needs to be coded broken down in either either if it needs to be implemented in the python api or the SDK.

I woudl like to get a few play testers by the end of the weekend, once I'm done inserting the civs. To test out AIs (IE if fremen are acting fremen, if atreides is acting like atreides.)

This is awesome, its good to see work finally being done on this mod. Good job. :band:

On the unit topic. There is one unit that undoubtably, without question, will need to be made. The Great Maker, may his passing cleanse the sand. The Sandworm. No question we will need that one. Maybe somthing with a nice wormy movement animation and some fire in its belly glowing out its open mouth. :cool:

@dtumacder: I can help a bit on XML, I am a bit busy with my Exodus mod and my byzantine mod.
@Jeckel: For worms, I think we should just make the worm like subs. They are invisable to all units that can't see invisable.

::nods:: Though i have a wormsign promotion I plan on giving down the tree for spice mining so probably will need to code a second type of invisibility that only those with that promotion have.

I agree I want to see the big ones go as long as three tiles. There will need to be 4 types of worms besides the little makers, normal sandworms and Great Makers or Shai'hulud. And then a model for both but on the surface with a man on its back or soething along those lines ;).

I would like to help as Dune is my favorite book series but I'm unsure as to what I can do. I do have a Dune Encyclopedia if that helps.

Just a quick update, I've been slowly working on XML. In the middle of a move and work has picked up. BUT progress is still being made, Leaders are done, without civlopedia entries and leaderheads.

Civs are being worked on and are almost done, I'm up to updating flavors for each of the civs. Once those are done I'm gonig to revisit the coloring of the interface and will release what I have then with no UU or UB or special tech tree so we can test out civ AI.

Keep the hope alive and what not and please I beg for input on the design so far there is alot in the first 4 posts to review and give input on.

What's going on guys? No posts since May. No progress done?

I think dtumacder is too busy or abandoned the project, don´t know.

it kinda fell to the back burner. Had some RL personal issues arise. I should have kept everyone abreast but except for a few people didn't seem like too many people were interested.

I can get back into it in sept, if someone else wants to take the reigns feel free to use the design outline in the beginning of this thread. If not I hope to have more time in sept.

I'm an all-time fan of Dune and Frank Herbert's work in general. I must say that I'm very excited that we could have a decent mod of Dune!

Keep up!

I'm just beginning to learn how to mod, but there is no doubt I would help with such a project.

I would love to see a dune mod made, it would make my day, week, month and year.

Unfortunately the only help I can offer is my knowledge of the dune universe, which is very good. I could also write music for the game however it would take a very long time to make music of high enough quality and I would only commit that much time and resources to a project that had good prospects.

I dont check this forum often , but I can help, just email me and Ill be more than willing to do what I can.

Good luck to all those working on this, hopefully no one will loose interest and this mod will eventually see the light of day...

This idea has been kicking around in my head for ages, nice to see someone who can actually program has taken up the banner! I likewise would like to be involved, although my knowledge is once again limited to the universe and thoughts on gameplay. Keep up the fantastic work, we're all behind you.

Top Bottom